Itachi Namikaze

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Ok as most of the knowledgeable people on the base know, style match-ups are important in fights. Some people are strong against a certain type of fighter and weak against others.

Take Guy and Kisame, Guy beat Kisame because Kisame is all about absorbing chakra and ninjutsu. Kisame however can beat way more people than Guy can.

So this thread is about the matchups of all the lages we know about and who they are strong and weak against.
Hokages
Hashirama - I think Mu and Onoki are bad match-ups for Hashirama. Mu can stay invisible, Hashi is not a sensor of any type, and Hashirama has no defense or counter against Dust release. Mu and Onoki can also fly, negating a large part of the danger of mokuton.

Tobirama - Not much is known about his fighting style but he seems to be almost exactly like Minato with the addition of an incomplete Edo Tensei, and without the crazy speed. That being said I would say that Yagura is probably a bad match-up for him because like Minato he does not seem to have any devastating attacks. (they might but they have not shown them so far). Also the third raikage, (unless he uses IWR then he can't really hurt him).

Hiruzen - Honestly we don't know anything about Hiruzen when he was actually strong, but I feel like he would have the most bad-match ups just because he has no unique ability that would make him powerful against some and weak against others.
Mu & Onoki are bad match ups for him, as are Minato and the third raikage.

Minato - 3rd raikage, he can't hurt him, he might be able to seal his abilities somehow but this I see being a draw or going to the raikage.
2nd Mizukage because of the clam genjutsu, and we can't know if Minato's brand of sensing (where he puts his finger on the ground) can tell where the real one is like Gaara's sand did. The third kazekage is also a bad matchup for him because he can control metal, and thus move his FTG kunai to wherever he wanted them.

Tsunade - people who would outright kill her are; the first 4 Hokages, the Raikages, Yagura, the Tsuchikages, the 2nd Mizukage, Gaara and the third Kazekage.
She has chances against Mei and the 4th kazekage.

Kazekages
3rd Kazekage - Hashirama, 2nd Mizukage, Mu and Onoki, the Raikages (due to speed)

4th Kazekages(Gaara's dad) - We haven't seen him much but he doesn't seem all that impressive. He can control gold dust which negates Gaara's sand, but that doesn't seem that useful in places other than a desert. I don't know enough to make a decision on this one.

Gaara -his bad match-ups are the Raikages obviously, the lightning has the penetrating power, and they have the speed to use it. Mu and Onoki are also bad matchups as it has been shown that they can change the weight of the sand. Also there is no way some sand is stopping dust release when an entire island would have been destroyed by it.

Tsuchikages
Mu- Apparently the 2nd Mizukage is a bad matchup as he died against him. Minato and Tobirama are bad match ups as they have ST (to redirect Dust release) and are not the normal types of sensors, their sensing is based off of vibrations, so if they were to do that then they would know where he is.

Onoki- Minato and Tobirama for the reasons stated above. ST jutsus pretty much negate Dust release.

Mizukages
Yagura - We know nothing about his fighting style but the fact that he was a jinchurikki makes him at least somewhat susceptible to sealing jutsus. In that case the bad match ups for him are Hashirama, Hiruzen, and Minato. Hashirama because mokuton is useful against large creatures in order to suppress their chakra, and Hiruzen and Minato for sealing abilities.

Mei- She has alot of bad match-ups, people with an area of effect attack; Hashirama, Mu, Onoki, and Gaara. People with sensing abilities to negate Hidden Mist; Tobirama and Minato (also Mu but I already said him)

Raikages
3rd raikage - Bad match-ups for him are Hashirama, as he only needs to suppress his chakra, or he can possibly put him to sleep via that one jutsu that did nothin to anyone. Mei, as she can hide in her Hidden Mist and use boil release or lava. His raiton armor may be hard to beat but it can't stop stuff like boil release, which was even going through Susanoo. 2nd Mizukage is a bad match-up (genjutsu and what not), and Mu and Onoki are obviously bad match-ups as they can fly and use dust release. Also if they need to they can change his weight and make him super slow and heavy.

A - Minato, Mei, Onoki & Mu, 2nd Mizukage, reasons stated above, but with Minato since A's raiton armor is not impervious. Hashirama is not in this one as A is much faster than his father so it would be much more difficult to catch him in a mokuton trap.

Ok I want to make a disclaimer: THESE ARE JUST MATCH UPS, I AM NOT SAYING THAT EACH PERSON I LISTED WOULD DEFINITELY BEAT THEIR GOOD MATCH UP OR THEY WOULD LOSE TO A BAD MATCH UP.

Like all things, it depends on skill, intelligence, and some amount of chance. I also would like to point out that I did not list everyone who these people can beat, only their bad match ups against the other Hokages.

Discuss.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the 2nd Mizukage - his bad match ups are people with area of effect attacks like Hashirama, Mu, and Onoki, and people who have physical sensing like what Gaara does with his sand.

Sorry about that guys.

Last edited:

Itachi Namikaze

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Worst match up for hashirama believe it or not is jiraiya and mu
I have Mu listed. These are match-ups of the kages against other kages. No one else is included as there are so many people in the manga it would be too difficult to make a thread listing bad match-ups out of all the known people.

Jiraiya is not a kage though.

Blaze Release

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have Mu listed. These are match-ups of the kages against other kages. No one else is included as there are so many people in the manga it would be too difficult to make a thread listing bad match-ups out of all the known people.

Jiraiya is not a kage though.
Ok then. Gaara is possibly a bad match up for hashirama

Blaze Release

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was thinking about that, but then it all depended on location for them. In the desert I think Gaara would have the advantage and anywhere else Hashirama would. His third eye would negate the effects of Bringer of darkness as well.
Bringer of darkness isnt a problem for gaara;

When it comes to the actual fight, since gaara can hover on his sand, he gains abit of immunity from hashirama wood releases attacks

Mr.Beastie

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think your underestimating mei a lot. You say she has a lot of bad matchups simply because of sensors like minato or tobirama but during a battle they cant have there finger on the ground all the time. Though i believe she would be a bad matchup for a lot of people seeing that she can use elemetal techniques that are on edo madara's level.
She has four elements(fire,water,earth,and lava)And she has that other kekkai genkai acid mist.
Also why is minato's bad matchup is the 3rd raikage but yet A's bad matchup is minato. When A and 3rd raikage basically have the same techniques.

Last edited:

Itachi Namikaze

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think your underestimating mei a lot. You say she has a lot of bad matchups simply because of sensore like minato or tobirama but they durign a barttle they cant have there finger on the ground all the time. Though i believe she would be a bad matchup for a lot of people seeing that she can use elemetal techniques that are on edo madara's level.
She has four elements(fire,water,earth,and lava)And she has that other kekkai genkai acid mist.
Also why is minato's bad matchup is the 3rd raikage but yet A's bad matchup is minato. When A and 3rd raikage basically have the same techniques.
Did A not say that he never beat Minato? We've already seen Minato back A into a corner and then just walk away from the battle like he didn't have a care in the world.

A's raiton armor is not impenetrable, (neither is the third Raikage's but his is stronger than A's whereas A is faster).

Minato wouldn't be able to physically harm the 3rd raikage with just a rasengan, or a kunai with (supposedly wind element, we aren't sure).

But I said I think that would be a draw as the third raikage couldn't hit Minato and Minato couldn't hurt him. A is different, Minato can damage him, and A can't hit him.

Mr.Beastie

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Did A not say that he never beat Minato? We've already seen Minato back A into a corner and then just walk away from the battle like he didn't have a care in the world.

A's raiton armor is not impenetrable, (neither is the third Raikage's but his is stronger than A's whereas A is faster).

Minato wouldn't be able to physically harm the 3rd raikage with just a rasengan, or a kunai with (supposedly wind element, we aren't sure).

But I said I think that would be a draw as the third raikage couldn't hit Minato and Minato couldn't hurt him. A is different, Minato can damage him, and A can't hit him.
Backed A into a corner......last time i checked minato took bee hostage.You act like A backed down or something like that. Also where int he manga does it say that the third raikage's armor is stronger than A's. A already knows how ftg works.

He is not gonna let minato's kunai get but so close to him.

Itachi Namikaze

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Backed A into a corner......last time i checked minato took bee hostage.You act like A backed down or something like that. Also where int he manga does it say that the third raikage's armor is stronger than A's. A already knows how ftg works.

He is not gonna let minato's kunai get but so close to him.
Yes he knows how FTG works. Your point is? If you are going to use manga proof why don't you use the page where A says they fought countless times and then subsequently says that he thought no one would surpass him.

A is not the type to just let people go like Minato let them go.

And it is just common knowledge that the third raikage's raiton armor is more defensive, as it says he has "the strongest shield."

A's raiton armor was beaten by Sasuke's chidori, Amaterasu, etc. while the third raikages just tanked Temari's wind jutsu like it was nothing. Last time I checked wind beats lightning, so if Sasuke's chidori can beat A's raiton armor then Temari's wind jutsu definitely can. Which means what?

3rd raikage's raiton armor is more powerful than A's. It is the only logical conclusion.