Vexorian

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Here is my question to you. One says that Jiraiya must start out of SM, but would that not mean that MS Itachi would have to grow up for 15 years to gain his MS? Level the playing ground from the beginning or you're just being stupid about it. The fight never occurred in the manga 1v1.

Klaves

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is the only argument I'm interested in as well. I think the mastered Mangekyō itself is out of Jiraiya's league, but I also believe that Itachi is the superior individual. He's smarter, more versatile, and more talented imo. He can keep up with perfect Sages and Jinchūriki in taijutsu, trick them with his ninjutsu, and has ridiculous genjutsu as well. I think Itachi without the Mangekyō would still likely walk all over base Jiraiya.
In a war scenario, wouldn't J-man be better suited to hold off enemy ninja? It's because of his stamina and his summons would be great crowd control. Itachi is stronger than him in terms of one on one fighting, and since that is what the manga usually consists of, it's only natural for people to consider him much stronger because of his OP techs (though he can't do them much without emptying his chakra).

Lilt

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In a war scenario, wouldn't J-man be better suited to hold off enemy ninja? It's because of his stamina and his summons would be great crowd control. Itachi is stronger than him in terms of one on one fighting, and since that is what the manga usually consists of, it's only natural for people to consider him much stronger because of his OP techs (though he can't do them much without emptying his chakra).
Yeah, I agree, but they're two different archtypes. Jiraiya is definitely better for the open battlefield. With synchronization from Gambabuta, he can set entire armies of fire. With Sage Mode, he can sink entire armies with Yomi Numa. And yet if this manga has taught us one thing, it's that being able to kill loads isn't the most valuable ability. It's being able to take down key players. For most countries, once the Kages & Jinchūriki are down, they're done. Jōnin can't even measure up.

And while Itachi is weaker in mass destruction, he excels enormously in stealth tactics. Remember how Shikaku said only Itachi could control many ninja with genjutsu? How Kabuto said Itachi could even control him with genjutsu? That ability to control powerful ninja is huge, and even more importantly, Itachi is built like an assassin. Where Jiraiya has massive techniques that shoot like a bazooka, Itachi has a bunch of laser-like techniques. He can't spam them, but they can bring down higher quality opponents, and at the end of the day, that's really what matters in ninja war imo.

Klaves

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah, I agree, but they're two different archtypes. Jiraiya is definitely better for the open battlefield. With synchronization from Gambabuta, he can set entire armies of fire. With Sage Mode, he can sink entire armies with Yomi Numa. And yet if this manga has taught us one thing, it's that being able to kill loads isn't the most valuable ability. It's being able to take down key players. For most countries, once the Kages & Jinchūriki are down, they're done. Jōnin can't even measure up.

And while Itachi is weaker in mass destruction, he excels enormously in stealth tactics. Remember how Shikaku said only Itachi could control many ninja with genjutsu? How Kabuto said Itachi could even control him with genjutsu? That ability to control powerful ninja is huge, and even more importantly, Itachi is built like an assassin. Where Jiraiya has massive techniques that shoot like a bazooka, Itachi has a bunch of laser-like techniques. He can't spam them, but they can bring down higher quality opponents, and at the end of the day, that's really what matters in ninja war imo.
I agree that key players are more important in the manga, but the ability to hold of mass numbers continuously (even if they are fodder) impresses me similarly to someone like Itachi. The ability to take out key players is essential, but if you pin fodder armies against one another there will just be a mass grave. If someone like J-man (summons and big scale techs) was there they would be much better off. I just find respect for that sort of thing even if it doesn't really win the war, you get to mow down enemy ninja and possibly save many of your comrade fodder. Strategically, it can also improve moral.

ItachiStyle

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I admit I didn't read all of that. However I am very familiar with both their techniques, and assuming (as I always do) that this is prime v.s prime (i.e. not Itachi on the verge of death), then I'm struggling to see Jiraiya winning. I respect Jiraiya alot. The guy has Kage level strength, and shouldn't be underestimated. He could easily take alot of heavy hitters, and deserves discussion in the top 20-15 characters. But there are just some guys beyond him. Itachi is one of those guys. After all, Jiraiya really can't do much about Ameratsu when it isn't sitting helplessly waiting to be sealed, and that's without considering all his other abilities.

I will give Jiraiya this... if he starts the battle with both Sages, then maybe he can use his sage (jedi) ability to react fast, and dodge. After all, if Naruto can dodge Raikage in Sage mode, Jiraiya might be able to dodge Ameratsu... however that's a temporary solution, because he doesn't need to merely dodge, but continue dodging, while the merest touch of Ameratsu ends the fight. I don't see it.

Last edited: