Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Itachi Uchiha: Beyond the Reanimation

You must be registered for see images

Introduction

It is well known that Kishimoto uses names and references to Shinto mythology in his writing. For example, the Uchiha doujutsu "Izanagi" and "Izanami" are actually the names of two Shinto gods.

Itachi Uchiha has numerous connections to Izanagi and Izanami, which will be explained in this thread.

Please note, the topics discussed in this thread have nothing to do with Itachi's battle ability or his power.

Part I: Life | Izanagi

This is an excerpt from Shinto mythology, about Izanagi and his wife Izanami.

Izanagi (イザナギ?, recorded in the Kojiki as 伊邪那岐 and in the Nihon Shoki as 伊弉諾) is a deity born of the seven divine generations in Japanese mythology and Shinto, and is also referred to in the roughly translated Kojiki as "male-who-invites" or Izanagi-no-mikoto ("Lord Izanagi"). It is also pronounced Izanagi-no-Okami ("The Great God Izanagi").

He with his spouse and younger sister Izanami gave birth to the many islands of Japan, and begat numerous deities of Shintoism. But she died after giving birth to the fire-god Kagu-tsuchi. Izanagi executed the fire god with the "ten-grasp sword" (Totsuka-no-Tsurugi).
*There is a significant part omitted here. It is the focus of the next section, and will be discussed there.*

In the cleansing rite after his return, he begot Amaterasu (the sun goddess) from his left eye, Tsukuyomi (the moon god) from his right eye and Susano'o (tempest or storm god) from his nose.
Immediately, you should recognize Itachi's MS techniques here: Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, and Susano'o. However, the eyes he possesses them in are reversed from the order Izanagi had them in. While not extremely significant, it will be discussed after.

Itachi has Amaterasu in his right eye:

Tsukuyomi in his left eye:

And Susano'o (which requires the double MS to obtain) (see inside spoiler for explanation regarding Izanagi's "nose")

Susano'o in the nose?
This isn't exactly a concrete explanation, but bear with it...

A person's nose is in the middle of their face, between their eyes.
Would that "middle" exist if they only had one eye? There would be no vantage point to illustrate it as being in the "middle" or "between" two eyes.

Kind of like how two MS are required to obtain Susano'o.

Why are Itachi's eyes reversed from Izanagi's eyes?
While it's entirely possible this was done randomly or on a whim, I'd like to think that Kishimoto did this intentionally.

It's only speculation, but there's a strong possibility this change was done to show how Itachi always deviated from the norm.

In Obito's words (can't find a manga page atm, but I'm certain most of you will remember him saying this):
"He accepted disgrace in the place of honor and hate in the place of love and despite that Itachi died with a smile on his face."

Itachi's choices, morals, ideals... all of them went against what he was expected to do as an Uchiha. That's why in the end, he sided with the Leaf.

That's a plausible explanation as to why his eyes are reversed from Izanagi's.
(Please, if you have any other insight or thoughts about the significance of this change, leave a comment).

EDIT: Thanks to Sparks, here's a scan of Obito saying something along those lines (I'm sure the actual text varies from scanlation to scanlation)

In addition to possessing the same things Izanagi had in terms of MS techniques, Itachi also had the Totsuka Blade, which Izanagi used to kill the fire god. This further solidifies the connection between them.

Interpreting what was discussed in this section, it can be said that Itachi is a representation of Izanagi, and/or that his character had some influence from him, at the very least.

In the next section, this will be further solidified...

Part II: Death | Izanami

Now, take a look at the part of the legend that was omitted from the first section:
When Izanami died, she went to Yomi-tsu Kuni (commonly referred to as Yomi). Izanagi decided to go there and bring his beloved back from the land of darkness and death. Izanami greeted Izanagi from the shadows as he approached the entrance to Yomi. She warned him not to look at her and said that she would try to arrange for her release from the gods of Yomi. Full of desire for his wife, Izanagi lit a torch and looked into Yomi. Horrified to see that Izanami was a rotting corpse, Izanagi fled.

Angry that Izanagi had not respected her wishes, Izanami sent hideous female spirits, eight thunder gods, and an army of fierce warriors to chase him. Izanagi managed to escape and blocked the pass between Yomi and the land of the living with a huge boulder.
The spirits, gods, warrirors, etc, that Izanami sent after Izanagi were from Yomi, the land of the dead.

Bringing souls back from the dead to the world of the living, and using them to fight...
This is is very similar to Edo Tensei.

And, if you interpret Edo Tensei as being a representation of the link between the living world and Yomi, you can interpret Itachi stopping Edo Tensei as representing Izanagi blocking the pass between Yomi and the living world.

And what was the name of the technique that Itachi used to accomplish this?

Summarizing the above connections, it can be said that Itachi's time as an Edo Tensei reanimation was representative of Izanagi's journey to Yomi, and how he blocked the passageway between the dead and the living.

-Summary/Conclusion-
-Itachi Uchiha represented Izanagi, the Shinto god.
-Itachi's time as an Edo represented Izanagi's journey to Yomi, and how he blocked the passageway between the dead and the living.

Thanks for reading,
Magatsu

Last edited:

Vega

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Great Thread! :)
I like that you mentioned how Itachi's eyes are reversed from God Izanagi's as well. He certainly deviated from the norm. like you mentioned; and in addition to that I always interpreted that as how Itachi's trying to make a positive impact to undo the Uchiha curse of Hatred. This being that after Izanagi left Izanami in Yomi this started the Mythological Curse where Izanami stated she'd kill 1000 people everyday and Izanagi responding with the fact that 1500 would be born everyday respectively. Just kinda goes to show that Itachi's endeavors were to try and reverse a similar situation with the Uchiha as you mentioned.
I enjoyed the Read :)

Reactions: Magatsu Izanagi

Magatsu Izanagi

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Great Thread! :)
I like that you mentioned how Itachi's eyes are reversed from God Izanagi's as well. He certainly deviated from the norm. like you mentioned; and in addition to that I always interpreted that as how Itachi's trying to make a positive impact to undo the Uchiha curse of Hatred. This being that after Izanagi left Izanami in Yomi this started the Mythological Curse where Izanami stated she'd kill 1000 people everyday and Izanagi responding with the fact that 1500 would be born everyday respectively. Just kinda goes to show that Itachi's endeavors were to try and reverse a similar situation with the Uchiha as you mentioned.
I enjoyed the Read :)
Thanks bro!

And I completely agree with you about undoing the Curse of Hatred. I probably should have put that in somewhere. Maybe next time :p