Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Itachi and Shisui: Transcending the Heavens

You must be registered for see images

Introduction
This thread serves as an analysis on Itachi and Shisui's friendship, broken down into two parts:

1) Their friendship at face value, in context of the manga.
2) Their friendship and how it ties in with Shinto mythology.

Please note: any observations made towards things such as MS techs, etc are being made strictly in the context of portrayal in the manga, story-wise.

It was established many times during the series that Shisui was Itachi's best friend, and he was like an older brother to him.

Itachi clearly held Shisui in the highest of regards, as the only time in the series when he utterly lost his temper was triggered by people indirectly bad-mouthing Shisui and accusing Itachi of killing him (indirectly implying that Shisui's life was worthless to Itachi).

Here, when the Uchiha says that "I doubt a man like him would...", he is saying that he thinks this was a cowardly/foolish/insolent action, and of course doesn't think that someone like Shisui would do that.

But in fact, Shisui DID do that (albeit not for the reasons this guy is assuming). Itachi took this as the guy calling Shisui a coward, which prompted his reply ("It's not wise to judge others based on...")

Next, Itachi asks if they are suspicious of him. They reply that they are, which prompts Itachi to seemingly abandon his pacifistic nature and beat them up.

This scene is often overlooked in terms of Itachi retaliating physically. From this out-of-character (Itachi never loses his cool, ever) outburst alone, it can be established that Shisui had a place in Itachi's heart that was second only to Sasuke, maybe even equal (in different ways). That's why when he felt like Shisui was being tarnished or looked down upon, he snapped (of course, once he did snap, he began to speak against the clan as a whole, and didn't mention Shisui directly, but it's what triggered it that's important).

When Itachi was as young as 7 years old, his wisdom was already on par with that of a Hokage:
So for Itachi to have considered Shisui as his best friend and like an older brother, he must have seen qualities in Shisui that others didn't have. And then by befriending him, Shisui must have had a significant influence on him in terms of solidifying his morals.

Likewise, the same applied for Itachi's influence on Shisui. Before dying, Shisui entrusted his eye to Itachi asking him to keep Konoha safe and the Uchiha honorable, saying he was his best friend and the only one whom he could ask of this.

What Shisui said to Itachi in that moment was critical to his decision to stop the Coup d'État by his own hand. In doing so, he was keeping his promise to Shisui.

Additionally, this is also why Itachi had the command "protect Konoha" programmed into Shisui's eye. By doing so, he made the eye a direct extension of Shisui's will.

That's also why he chose to give it to Naruto. To him, Naruto shared the same heart as Shisui (the same feelings), so it seemed only fitting to give it to him, as Naruto using the eye power would be the closest thing to Shisui using KA himself.

Summing all this up, it's safe to say Itachi held Shisui in the highest of regards, and he was a key influence to him in his life. If Shisui didn't exist, Itachi's life may have been drastically different.

As you may know, Kishimoto uses a lot of names and symbolism from Japanese/Shinto mythology in the manga. Both Itachi and Shisui apply to this trend, as they both represent different deities, and their friendship ties them together in this respect.

To explain what is meant by that, one first has to understand what they both represent, individually.

Itachi - Izanagi
Itachi Uchiha is a representation of the Shinto god, Izanagi. A lengthier explanation as to why this is the case can be found in thread (feel free to read the full explanation there), here is a short summary of the parallels in his life to Izanagi's life:

-Izanagi had Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu in his eyes (albeit they are reversed from Itachi, see the thread for why)
-Izanagi wielded the Totsuka Blade, as did Itachi
-Itachi's role as an Edo parallels Izanagi's journey to the underworld.

If you have any doubts or want some clarification as to why this is true, check out the aforementioned thread.

Shisui - Kotoamatsukami
Shisui Uchiha can be seen as a representation of Kotoamatsukami (別天津神, meaning "distinguished heavenly gods"), a term for the collective Shinto gods/powers who were the first to come into existence.

In Japanese Shinto, Kotoamatsukami (別天津神, literally means "distinguishing heavenly kami") is the collective name for the first gods which came into existence at the time of the creation of the universe. They were born in Takamagahara, the world of Heaven at the time of the creation. Unlike the later gods, these deities were born without any procreation.
First of all, his doujutsu is named "Kotoamatsukami" (referred to as KA from now on, so as not to confuse it with this term). Right away, this serves as a connection between Shisui and the Shinto mythology.

This is the reason why KA is said to be above all other genjutsu, because the Kotoamatsukami were above all other Shinto gods/powers in the hierarchy of the deities.

They came into existence spontaneously, whereas the gods/powers that followed them (the next generation of gods) were created FROM powers that already existed. In that sense, Kotoamatsukami is superior to the other deities, as KA is superior to other genjutsu.

Shisui can be seen as the "embodiment" of the Kotoamatsukami, because he carries KA within him. And if you see Shisui himself as a representation of Kotoamatsukami, you can see other parallels occur.

Now that they have been established as individually representing gods, the final piece that serves as a connection between the two can be seen.

Here is an excerpt about Kotoamatsukami and Izanagi:

In Japanese Shinto, Kotoamatsukami (別天津神, literally means "distinguishing heavenly kami") is the collective name for the first gods which came into existence at the time of the creation of the universe. They were born in Takamagahara, the world of Heaven at the time of the creation. Unlike the later gods, these deities were born without any procreation.

The next generation of gods that followed was the Kamiyonanayo, which included Izanagi and Izanami, the patriarch and matriarch of all other Japanese gods, respectively. Afterward, the Kotoamatsukami all ceased from existence.
Itachi only awakened his Mangekyou Sharingan (and with it, the attributes that make him represent Izanagi as listed before) AFTER Shisui's death. And at the same time, Shisui gives his eye to Itachi, passing on his will and last wishes to him:
And also, it was said in the manga that Shisui erased his existance (upper-right panel):
This directly parallels what was said in that excerpt, when Kotoamatsukami erases from existance.

Summing all that up, it can be said that Shisui's death and how it affected Itachi represents the creation of Izanagi, and his sucession to Kotoamatsukami.

-Summary/Conclusion-
-Shisui had a place in Itachi's heart that was on the same level as Sasuke (in different ways). He respected and looked up to him more than anyone else.
-Shisui inspired Itachi and solidified his morals. He was a key influence in his life.
-Itachi represents Izanagi, the Shinto god, and Shisui represents Kotoamatsukami, the first Shinto gods to come into existance.
-Shisui's death and how it affected Itachi directly represents the creation of Izanagi and his sucession to Kotoamatsukami.

Thanks for reading,
Magatsu

Sound

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The fact that even Shisui's name literally means death by water proves your hypothesis
how intentional are their literal names, connections with each other & the Shinto gods.

Amazing thread

Last edited:

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Great Thread bro
:itachi: -though i would wat itachi to rot in hell tbh
He's in shonobi heaven. xD Either way, if you take things out of context like that, then every single shinobi in the series should go to hell, considering that they kill on their missions. Even Naruto has killed two people. And killing is wrong. U_U

Itachi was also a B*tch for letting DAnzo get away with it , while knowing it. That was the moment i lost all "respect" for his character.
You never had the respect to begin with, considering that you don't have the capability to understand even a fraction of Itachi's character in the first place. Itachi's not a ***** and respect is well-warranted for his character.

ot: Nice job

Magatsu Izanagi

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Thank you, good sir.

Great Thread bro
:itachi: -though i would wat itachi to rot in hell tbh
Thanks, but he's a hero, at least in my eyes.

Itachi was also a B*tch for letting DAnzo get away with it , while knowing it. That was the moment i lost all "respect" for his character.
I'd respond, but Chie took care of that.

This is the type of thread that has been missing from here lately. Good work.
Thanks pal. Just doing my job :cool:

The fact that even Shisui's name literally means death by water proves your hypothesis
how intentional are their literal names, connections with each other & the Shinto gods.

Amazing thread
Thanks bro, I didn't even remember that's what his name meant. Now that I think about it, it does add credibility to what I'm saying :)

This was a good read. I like it.
Thanks Cookie! I miss the old days :p

The title looks like a lemon fanfic XD
Why do you think I called it that?
(Kidding).

This is the type of thread that has been missing from here lately. Good work.

It won't let me thank you for the thread. That's odd...
Thanks. And probably bc the system "knows" if you know what I mean.

Great read as always from your threads.
Keep it up!
Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. And I will.

ot: Nice job

Really enjoyed this.:itachi:
Thanks, Truth :cool:

BLAZE

Immortal
Kin
4💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He's in shonobi heaven. xD Either way, if you take things out of context like that, then every single shinobi in the series should go to hell, considering that they kill on their missions. Even Naruto has killed two people. And killing is wrong. U_U
@bolded yes throw those mofo's murderers in hell
@underline :| nardo only killed sand guy who was under nagato's transformation jutsu with no consciousness of own meaning de
yes killing is bad but ur opinon

so12p

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't buy into the god representation thing, but they were the two good Uchias - 2 of 3 that did not let BZ play them like a fiddle.

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
@bolded yes throw those mofo's murderers in hell
@underline :| nardo only killed sand guy who was under nagato's transformation jutsu with no consciousness of own meaning de
yes killing is bad but ur opinon
Naruto killed Mizuki too. :| He didn't care and went out for ramen afterwards with Iruka.

ot: Still a good thread. U_U

Vega

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Great Thread! I enjoyed reading this, especially the relations to the Shinto Gods. Shisui was such a mysterious character, a shame Kishi didn't give him more screen time. I also liked that you mentioned how Itachi's Mangeyko appeared after Shisui's death, going back to the same legends with Koto. and Izanagi. I feel that also somewhat represents entrusting the next generation, something this manga emphasizes a lot.
Well done as always Magatsu :)

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Good thread but I think your first part may be a little one sided, Itachi's outburst and fight with the military police investigators wasn't due soley to their remarks about Shisui, but also because of the high tensions between the uchiha and the leaf. The fact that he knew his whole clan could not see past the uchiha curse of hatred and also probably because these investigators had no idea at all of the coming events. I think by this point in the manga Itachi knew the Uchiha would have to be eradicated

Reactions: Magatsu Izanagi