Is anime just a form of escapism?

Do you agree that anime is a form of escapism?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Do you feel that you watch anime because you want to escape the reality?
It's not the only reason, but yeah, to some extend.
The animes that I love help me through hard times. They make me and my problems feel understood and wake certain emotions within me, that I value the most but can't live them in my real life. I don't know how to phrase it better.

Hawker

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Why're you so curious as to make a thread on the subject then? Certaintly there is a driving factor in your pursuit of this topic.
No, it's just out of pure curiousity.

Everything fiction entertainment ever is an escapism to some extent as for however long we read or watch something, we are immersing ourselves into the world of whatever it is we are watching/reading. That is what entertainment in general is. I'm not saying I live in that world or want to, but to me, entertainment is just losing ourselves into an experience. That is how people get attached to characters and want their story to go a certain way. I think my view of escapism is a more positive one, maybe-probably even a misguided one as I believe you can escape and that does not mean you hate reality at all, but that is my view on it. In fact, I like to think life itself can improve when we learn from fiction. Heroes, fictional and real, inspire people to do good. That is a good thing. Also, it can inspire hope when we feel down. Obviously, real life people can do that as well, more than often they do, but sometimes help can come from losing yourself into a world. If someone ACTUALLY believes they are living in a fictional world and that hinders their life and harms people, that is a whole different story. That is a problem. I'm trying to tackle it as a more positive thing. I'm surely failing miserably.
I agree yeah, but my point was that in anime the escapism is more present and therefore it attracts a different viewing base than for say the mainstream entertainment.

I wouldn't say escapism. Naruto completely revolutionized my whole perceptions of people, world and myself
Can you elaborate on this? What happened exactly and what it was in Naruto that affected you in that way?

It's not the only reason, but yeah, to some extend.
The animes that I love help me through hard times. They make me and my problems feel understood and wake certain emotions within me, that I value the most but can't live them in my real life. I don't know how to phrase it better.
Bolded: I actually understand what you mean. Or atleast I think so. And this is what I was getting at in my op. The essential word here is "understood". Do you mean that anime gives you the surrounding you need to more efficiently deal with your problems and thus enjoy entertainment better?

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Bolded: I actually understand what you mean. Or atleast I think so. And this is what I was getting at in my op. The essential word here is "understood". Do you mean that anime gives you the surrounding you need to more efficiently deal with your problems and thus enjoy entertainment better?
Definitely.
For example "Legend of Korra". I was able to relate to the main-character's struggle, doubts and problems in the last season so much and watching it helped me a lot. Seeing her getting back on her feet gave me courage to face my own problems. And in the long run, I can enjoy entertainment a lot better, yes.

Hawker

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Definitely.
For example "Legend of Korra". I was able to relate to the main-character's struggle, doubts and problems in the last season so much and watching it helped me a lot. Seeing her getting back on her feet gave me courage to face my own problems. And in the long run, I can enjoy entertainment a lot better, yes.
Alright. Why do you think anime has this effect for you? Would a same kind of a tv show acted by real people do the same thing?

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Alright. Why do you think anime has this effect for you? Would a same kind of a tv show acted by real people do the same thing?
Hm, I guess because anime characters are not real people. To me, it is easier to relate to a fictional character than to a character that is acted by a real person. But it doesn't mean that I can't relate to them at all. I also know some "real" tv-shows/movies that have a similar effect.

Yubel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Naruto and One Piece have affected my life in a big way.
It changed my whole outlook of things.

Last edited:

Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Can you elaborate on this? What happened exactly and what it was in Naruto that affected you in that way?
Yes, I'll try. I knew Naruto a bit more than one year ago. I never watched anime, excluding my childhood, until that moment. My life was pretty successful, I've always had a strong personality and I've always "imposed" it on the other people, so I didn't need to understand them. I thought there were good people (those who weren't snob) and bad people, who felt themselves superior to the others and needed to be straightened out with humiliation.
At the same time I felt very immature, I convinced myself I almost wasn't able to speak to other things besides girls, muscles, music etc.
Now, when I started watching and reading Naruto (and I still don't know why, since I've never been passionate in manga) it has taught me that there aren't good or bad people in an absolute sense, and those who act like "evils" are almost always marked by so negative experiences that they lost hope and love for the others.
Also, I've learnt that impose things with strength (even morally good things) is wrong, and it's a desire that comes from a feeling of superiority towards everyone else.
Learning this, I felt way more mature also...