Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

A 25-year-old model has allegedly committed suicide in posh South Delhi a month after her marriage. Her husband, who owns several pubs, has been arrested after her family alleged that he used to torture and harass her for dowry.

Priyanka Kapoor - wife of Nitin Chawala - was found hanging inside her locked flat in Defence Colony on Saturday morning, the police said.

Her family approached the police after Ms Kapoor didn't take phone calls. Later, finding the flat locked from inside, her mother and husband had called in the police. The body was found when the police broke in.

It is likely that she hanged herself during the night, the police said.

In her complaint to the police, Ms Kapoor's sister Dimpi has alleged that Mr Chawala used to torture, beat and harass Priyanka for dowry.

Similar allegations had been found in a two-page suicide note the police discovered in the flat.

Her two-page suicide note alleges regular harassment for dowry and physical assault. “I have known grief, I have known happiness...sadness and emotions...but my husband made me helpless for the first time,” she wrote.

Mr Chawla owns a pub in upmarket south Delhi and also has a firm dealing in steel.

Ms Kapoor, who also ran an event management company, was Mr Chawla's second wife. The couple had met last April. The family says Mr Chawla divorced his first wife and married Priyanka.

The couple had moved to Defence Colony after their marriage in February.

Ms Kapoor's family alleges that Mr Chawla was very possessive and had started assaulting her almost immediately after their marriage.

ANiMUS

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I doubt she would have done it if she had an option that didn't lead to getting tortured and beaten every day
Just because there doesn't seem to be a way out doesn't mean that there isn't one. I am pretty sure she felt that there was no way out though, I mean she did say that she felt helpless after all.

personally I believe there is always another option, but my knowledge is very limited :coffee:

I woulda killed him :dafq: :dead:
Bam. Option two :happy:

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Just because there doesn't seem to be a way out doesn't mean that there isn't one. I am pretty sure she felt that there was no way out though, I mean she did say that she felt helpless after all.

personally I believe there is always another option, but my knowledge is very limited :coffee:
True enough, but feeling that there's no way out is pretty much synonymous with there being no way out when you're talking about people suffering from abuse and suicidal thoughts. Her family was aware of the situation and couldn't help her, for example.

I was more emphasizing that people who commit suicide aren't exactly playing cards with a full house and we shouldn't look at things in terms of what their options were. It's a moot point, because those options failed to materialize for them.

so did she die
"Allegedly" as in they're probably checking to make sure it wasn't murder.

Last edited:

ANiMUS

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
True enough, but feeling that there's no way out is pretty much synonymous with there being no way out when you're talking about people suffering from abuse and suicidal thoughts. Her family was aware of the situation and couldn't help her, for example.

I was more emphasizing that people who commit suicide aren't exactly playing cards with a full house and we shouldn't look at things in terms of what their options were. It's a moot point, because those options failed to materialize for them.
Agreed, that is y I think it is best just to state that suicide is never the answer. :) Not saying that it is wrong for her to kill herself, with everything that she went through going on probably seemed like a state worse than death. Its really sad that that she had to endure such abuse, and more than anything I blame the people that sat by and watched this situation continue until it pushed her to that point.

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

"Allegedly" as in they're probably checking to make sure it wasn't murder.
I know how feeling cornered in life can feel like, and I've contemplated suicide before considering extreme options I'm about to say, but can't someone in theory just leave their life in wherever they are? Save up to leave everything behind or something. I know she's probably too poor but a lot of people kill themselves over social problems but what's keeping them from leaving the people that are causing it?

To people contemplating suicide, they should think that there have always been people in the same situation in them, and eventually, their lives turned out alright for them.

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I know how feeling cornered in life can feel like, and I've contemplated suicide before considering extreme options I'm about to say, but can't someone in theory just leave their life in wherever they are? Save up to leave everything behind or something. I know she's probably too poor but a lot of people kill themselves over social problems but what's keeping them from leaving the people that are causing it?
Well I wouldn't want to speculate on her specific situation, but there are plenty of reasons you wouldn't pick up and leave.

Depending on your area, being a woman, alone, traveling, is a very vulnerable position to be in.

Depending on your culture, it could even be painted as disgraceful that you ran away. (Shame for the family, which people might actually care about.)

In an abusive relationship, the person might threaten your family. This applies to anywhere.

Police often fail to stop abusers due to how complicated it is to get involved in domestic disputes and actually get statements from victims and so on. This applies to anywhere.

You need somewhere to go. Your confidence in yourself would be torn asunder by what you've experienced up to the point of really being about to commit suicide. Could apply to anyone.

In an abusive relationship, you're going to have your mental faculties drained from the experience. Long-term planning would be difficult. You'd be embarrassed to reach out for help. Could apply to anyone.

Etc.

Not even getting into things like sexual abuse and so on.

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't understand how she didn't try to get away from this a**hole as soon as possible. Asking family and friends for help, maybe even the police, when the guy was such a disgusting piece of sh!t.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,430💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Status
I doubt she would have done it if she had an option that didn't lead to getting tortured and beaten every day
She had the options. She didn't take it for whatever reasons. Depression maybe. The anti dowry laws are strict in such cases and husband could end up in jail. Men's right groups already keep crying over it and blaming feminists.

What annoys me is the parents who do not support and help the woman in such a situation in getting a divorce while she is alive and keep trying to find a compromise. But the moment she takes an extreme step they are all righteously angry at the husband. I understand the anger and sadness and yea husband is to blame but you could have gotten her out in at least in 50% of such cases if you are willing to dump the guy much earlier.

Last edited:

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
She had the options. She didn't take it for whatever reasons. Depression maybe. The anti dowry laws are strict in such cases and husband could end up in jail. So much so that men's right group keeps crying over feminists.
Yeah I clarified this in what I said later in this thread.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,430💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Status

It turns out there was a lot more to this than just dowry problem- they had many other issues which she found out after marriage only.

It's a pity she didn't just walk out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Claymantan
Status
Not open for further replies.