Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
If I rewrote the bible and named it the newest testament and claimed I was instructed by God, would you follow it? Just a thought...

Cruciatus

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If your new books were reviewed by the Catholic Church, determined to be the authentic Word of God, and added to the Bible, they would become Catholic canon.

Or, you could pull a Joseph Smith and just start a new religion with the Bible/Catholicism as your base, but with whatever nonsense you want to make up in addition to it. Mormonism somehow still has followers, so I think you could be pretty successful.

Urda

Supreme
Kin
2,210💸
Kumi
7,699💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If your new books were reviewed by the Catholic Church, determined to be the authentic Word of God, and added to the Bible, they would become Catholic canon.

Or, you could pull a Joseph Smith and just start a new religion with the Bible/Catholicism as your base, but with whatever nonsense you want to make up in addition to it. Mormonism somehow still has followers, so I think you could be pretty successful.
How would they know it is the "Word of God"?

Cruciatus

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
How would they know it is the "Word of God"?
The Pope has Papal Infallibility. When speaking on issues related to Church dogma, the Pope has the final, infallible word on what is or isn't correct. The text would be reviewed extensively by high ranking members of the Church, and then the Pope would make the final determination about its validity. If he announced that it was canon, people would follow lol.

But that's how the "Word of God" has been determined. The Bible as we know it has gone through extensive review (which should clue you in on the amount of horse shit that Christians will allow into their dogma).

Reactions: LustyLover

Narushima

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Most religious people, much less the irreligious, do not read their scriptures.

No one created a religion and won its following by writing a book.

In the real world the task of creating a religion typically involves a mixture of sales and warfare.

If you want to invent a religion, your best chances are putting together a good group of sales people and warlords and militia men. You need a mythical narrative sure but often you can make this up as you go along at your situational convenience (e.g. Islam).

Reactions: ~Ethereal~

Brady

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was a Christian once, but if someone were to take the Bible seriously, I'm sure they would know if God was planning to release a Bible 3.0; Newest Testament. If something like that were coming, I'm sure God would have taken a few steps to alert people ahead of time so they won't fall into a trap.

Merely making your own third part of the Bible isn't enough, you'd have to showcase evidence that you were really told to do it in order for me to believe it. If you're a talented writer you might snag a few people, but any devout follower of a deity would believe that they would be notified of any new "updates" to their holy book.

Reactions: BLAZE

Brady

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Most religious people, much less the irreligious, do not read their scriptures.

No one created a religion and won its following by writing a book.

In the real world the task of creating a religion typically involves a mixture of sales and warfare.

If you want to invent a religion, your best chances are putting together a good group of sales people and warlords and militia men. You need a mythical narrative sure but often you can make this up as you go along at your situational convenience (e.g. Islam).
Hold your horses buddy, I've been banned from this sub-forum for saying that.

Reactions: BLAZE

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You kind of have to convince people somehow to do it.
Not really there's people constantly people saying they speak the word of God and create their own holy books etc... So a decent amount of people in anything are pretty impressionable

For me to take the person serious he has to prove he's really speaking for GOD and that what he says is the truth

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Not really there's people constantly people saying they speak the word of God and create their own holy books etc... So a decent amount of people in anything are pretty impressionable

For me to take the person serious he has to prove he's really speaking for GOD and that what he says is the truth
They don't just write a book and say follow me. They preach and try to prove themselves through miracles or use their character and make promises.

Ludicrous

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Majority of Asian and African indigenous religions are nothing like this. Maybe a typical western orientated person with a narrow view might think this but it is incredibly misguided to think this is a general rule that can be applied as a formula to build religions. It also completely ignores the fact that religions are spread through trade and missionaries, thus causing a completely different form of a root religion across regions. If warfare and making people buy into a religion is a determination of what people follow, humanity history would have so many more religions in existence or existed considering how gullible humans can be and how widespread warfare has been through history. Also, we all can notice your attempt to subtly attack Islam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pumpkin Ninja