Author(s): Honobu Yonezawa

Artist(s): Task Ohna (Manga Adaption)

Genre(s): Mystery, School, Slice of Life

Current Status: Hiatus/Completed

Moment of Reviewing: Episode 22

Other Formats: Manga, Novel

You must be registered for see images

Series Summary:

Oreki Houtarou is a energy conserver. He won't do things he doesn't have to do and won't do anything if it doesn't interest him. One day, he joins the Classics Club; He meets several other students named Chitanda Eru, Fukube Satoshi and Ibara Mayaka who all are in the club, What fills Oreki's curiosity isn't from his own self..What fuels is from Chitanda Eru who just has to say the words "I'm interested!" ("watashi...kininarimasu!"). Satoshi is a layed back and has a great memory making him a database. Ibara is strict to herself and others, she has feelings for Satoshi but it always evaded when encountered. The four students at Kamiyama High School solve mysteries when encountered. They start off with the mystery of "Hyouka" and go onward.

Critical Review:

This looks like a romance-high school anime at first, but believe me when I say that their isn't much in this series and for that purpose people bash on it, I believe that this is a pure mystery anime...And I will only judge this series for that purpose. The mystery in this anime is very detailed, it has alot of "why didn't I think of that moments" the protagonist is a exhibition of pure badassery when or when not solving mysteries. The character development is fairly balanced, I can find no up's or down's about characters..The only thing I can find is that Chitanda is interested in everything, but that's just for comedic relief. The mystery in this anime is the real part, the Mystery genre sticks to this series to the very core. It can be exciting and be relieving, and it can make you forget things about earlier events easily. The length of this anime kind of disappoint's me though, We only get 22 episodes, while most wide-ranged anime get at least 24-25 episodes, and possibly another season if well-cared. The overall series is well-portrayed and has very balanced characteristics. Some pros of this anime are: very balanced characters, very in-depth mystery, great use of resources with mystery. Some cons are: Series length and the amount of characters introduced. The way that the characters find the mysteries is what also makes me interested, they find several resources, facts, articles to solve the mystery. Oreki seems like a average guy though, he denies his skill of being a very talented detective even when he has a definitive skill for being a detective, his usual excuse is "Even a average high schooler can solve this." Oreki is the most laziest, but also the most smartest character in the series, he's the type of guy that would make you go "What's going on in this guy's brain when he solves these mysteries?", I was like that too when I watched this. But the other characters come in use also, Satoshi being a database, Chitanda being a resource assistant, and Ibara being the one who pulls all of them together. I hope for some more episodes in the future (hopefully a season 2) So I can see all these loose ends be tied but if you are looking for a new anime and are a big fan of the Mystery genre, I would have to definitely recommend this series to you.

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

Last edited:

The Sach

Legendary
Kin
41💸
Kumi
4,751💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My favorite anime, and it certainly serves as a nice break between two action animes. Love the character sketching, Eru's curiosity(Watashi Kininarimsu), Oreki's laziness, and on top of that Ibara and Satoshi. This anime is a perfect entertaining package. The thing that attracts me most is,writer's skills of adding mysteries to everyday lives, and on top of that giving simpleton, out of the box answers, which make you think, 'why I never thought like that?'.:yeah:
Talking about season 2, I doubt if they will make it. They covered 4 volumes already, only 5th one is left.

Reactions: Kagerou

Jinrou

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Just completed this amazing anime. I seriously wish there were more anime like this. If there are, I'm having difficulty finding 'em ;-;
9.1/10 imo.