[Discussion] Hunter x hunter is going on hiatus again...

Zavage10

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Did it say indefinite? Well, Togashi did a week break twice during 2014... it's to be expected that a hiatus will come anyways. Really no point in overreacting.
This is not a break. This is a hiatus. Its not random either. With this chapter hunter x hunter has enough chapters for a volume release now...

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm not really into this series; I read it once a long time ago and never picked it up again; but does someone know the actual reason for its irregular release schedule and continuous hiatuses? HxH was serialized just before Naruto, however the latter series finished almost two years ago stopping at 700 chapters. HxH has currently 360 =/

Kiiszame

Regular
Kin
1💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'm not really into this series; I read it once a long time ago and never picked it up again; but does someone know the actual reason for its irregular release schedule and continuous hiatuses? HxH was serialized just before Naruto, however the latter series finished almost two years ago stopping at 700 chapters. HxH has currently 360 =/
Lots of people speculate lots of things.
For example there are those that say he spends his time playing video games all the time and loses interest in his work.
Most argue that he has some kind of illness or something of that nature that makes it difficult to do his work.
I dont think anyone knows for sure? But you can see the decline in his artwork from time to time where some pages look phenomenal and very well detailed, while others look like chicken scratch.

Have you ever heard of Yu Yu Hakusho? Great series. Probably one of the best. However its ending left a lot on the table and that was because he was pushed so hard that he just ddnt care anymore and ended it abruptly. If you've watched the anime or read the manga you'll know what I'm talking about.

So now the people dont really push him and let him do what he wants. Honestly I'm surprised he came back at all. Most people considered the manga finished after the election arc. Oda will probably finish one piece before Togashi ever finishes HxH or more commonly known as Hiatus x Hiatus.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,444💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

No official detailed explanation has been given by WSJ or the writer in years as far as I know. If they did it would be less annoying.

He likes to take his own sweet time and supposedly doesn't higher any assistants apart from his wife occasionally and since he still has fans who are willing to buy the merchandise/volumes/ and anything that makes him money he doesn't feel the need to work harder. His wife is the mangka of Sailor moon so so together they are in very comfortable position and seem to be able to bargain better than any other mangka in the business. And his business strategy works for him.

When he went on a hiatus first time a decade or so ago he sited health reasons and back pain etc. Another was his famous love for dragon quest game and some of the hiatuses match the dates of game release and even his editor or anime team made a similar joke that they would be going of to play it too. So fans speculate either of these being the reason even today. For Togashi himself says nothing. In fact it seems you are more likely to get an explanation from his some 70+ mom on behalf of his 50 year old son rather than him.

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is not a break. This is a hiatus. Its not random either. With this chapter hunter x hunter has enough chapters for a volume release now...
haha it just hit me.

A few months ago the stores stopped bringing in HxH volumes, and they officially listed the series as over. Togashi came back just to put a new volume into stores, and dipped. This wouldn't be the first time he's done this.

Its a nice balance between needing/wanting some money and relaxing he's got going here.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Source : Sandman (Ap) & opnaruto

Chapter title is "Parasite."

Princes' Nen Beasts act violently in the ship. The situation is chaotic.

Togashi will be on hiatus from next week...

I'm dropping this series for good.
You must be registered for see images

Sandman : It says, "Hunter Hunter will be on hiatus from next issue. We will inform you as soon as his return is confirmed
One Piece is on break next week too, not something to worry about yet.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
@bold lmfao

You know those words are synonymous with each other, right?
There's no definitive answer since Togashi doesn't speak out for the reasonings of the hiatus that much. He did speak out after YYH which you can read if you're interested. To sum up that long interview, from his days during YYH, he mentioned about his struggle with back pain & stress which is a reoccurring issue with HxH as well. Not to mention, the way he relieves stress is to draw by himself. That's his work style. Saying he isn't a hard worker is a stupid thing to say which some people make him out to be (or saying any mangaka isn't a hard worker for that matter). Yes, Naruto a series that started a year after HxH had 700 chapters almost 2 years ago. Hell, even a manga published in 2008, Toriko, had surpassed HxH in length. It is a lot of hiatuses but WSJ is very lenient given his incredible contribution to the magazine and the major success of YYH/HxH.

No official detailed explanation has been given by WSJ or the writer in years as far as I know. If they did it would be less annoying.

He likes to take his own sweet time and supposedly doesn't higher any assistants apart from his wife occasionally and since he still has fans who are willing to buy the merchandise/volumes/ and anything that makes him money he doesn't feel the need to work harder. His wife is the mangka of Sailor moon so so together they are in very comfortable position and seem to be able to bargain better than any other mangka in the business. And his business strategy works for him.

When he went on a hiatus first time a decade or so ago he sited health reasons and back pain etc. Another was his famous love for dragon quest game and some of the hiatuses match the dates of game release and even his editor or anime team made a similar joke that they would be going of to play it too. So fans speculate either of these being the reason even today. For Togashi himself says nothing. In fact it seems you are more likely to get an explanation from his some 70+ mom on behalf of his 50 year old son rather than him.
@bold
LOL who are you to say that? Just look at the position he's in & his work style; factor that in with his old age... He draws everything by himself. Btw, where did you get that he gets help from his wife occasionally, anyways?

The majority of your post is just pure ignorance... not a big shocker...

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
How u know it's indefinite? Go ahead tell me
Bruh.

This is what a regular week break looks like.

This is how an indefinite hiatus looks like.

@bold
LOL who are you to say that? Just look at the position he's in & his work style; factor that in with his old age... He draws everything by himself. Btw, where did you get that he gets help from his wife occasionally, anyways?
? Common sense? He obviously doesn't feel the need to work harder, if he did he would simply work more? 12 chapters every 2 years is not pushing anyone to their limits here lol. Its not rocket science.

I personally don't blame him for it, whats the point of becoming well known and wealthy if you don't even get to enjoy that. But these excuses are terrible. Whose fault is it that he doesn't get assistants? That's like me doing Nascar racing and choosing not to have a pit crew, and then crying about it.

Last edited:

Drakengard

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is what people usually reference for insight.

Last edited:

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
? Common sense? He obviously doesn't feel the need to work harder, if he did he would simply work more? 12 chapters every 2 years is not pushing anyone to their limits here lol. Its not rocket science.

I personally don't blame him for it, whats the point of becoming well known and wealthy if you don't even get to enjoy that. But these excuses are terrible. Whose fault is it that he doesn't get assistants? That's like me doing Nascar racing and choosing not to have a pit crew, and then crying about it.
Common sense? He already does the art by himself and it's due to his ways of relieving stress that he refuses to get assistants. It's not rocket science and saying it's an "excuse" is being ignorant.... 12 chapters every 2 years is not pushing anyone to their limits? How exactly would you know that? You know nothing about about him to say such an ignorant thing. It's obvious that doing these chapters on a week to week basis given his work style/health is extremely difficult. Get assistants then? He already stated that the way he deals with stress is by drawing himself. The only real solution that would be beneficially is if this manga went monthly instead but idk how Togashi/WSJ would feel about that.

"These excuses are terrible", LOL remind me again, who are you to say that? Those very "excuses" completely refute your argument. Yeah, the main difference here is that you're not at an old age & suffering from both mental/physical health issues. Not to mention, the busy lifestyle a mangaka lives. Where is Togashi "crying" about this? Bad example lmao. (not trying to undermine the lifestyle of a typical nascar driver but you get the point)

Last edited:

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Common sense? He already does the art by himself and it's due to his ways of relieving stress that he refuses to get assistants. It's not rocket science and saying it's an "excuse" is being ignorant.... 12 chapters every 2 years is not pushing anyone to their limits? How exactly would you know that? You know nothing about about him to say such an ignorant thing. It's obvious that doing these chapters on a week to week basis given his work style/health is extremely difficult. Get assistants then? He already stated that the way he deals with stress is by drawing himself. The only real solution that would be beneficially is if this manga went monthly instead but idk how Togashi/WSJ would feel about that.

"These excuses are terrible", LOL remind me again, who are you to say that? Those very "excuses" completely refute your argument. Yeah, the main difference here is that you're not at an old age & suffering from both mental/physical health issues. Not to mention, the busy lifestyle a mangaka lives. Where is Togashi "crying" about this? Bad example lmao. (not trying to undermine the lifestyle of a typical nascar driver but you get the point)
My God, there are hundreds of mangaka out there doing this, save the excuses, they're downright pathetic.