Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That's why I said "approximately", if we were using a marginally bigger percentage in global, the Earth most probably wouldn't be a massive pile of sh*t it is today.
Nope, I highly doubt that would be the case. You see, the problem of the human race isn't lack of intelligence, it's lack of ethics.

TimothyTheTomato

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That's why I said "approximately", if we were using a marginally bigger percentage in global, the Earth most probably wouldn't be a massive pile of sh*t it is today.
Bro. We use every region of our brain. But at once we only use certain portions because that's what we need in the moment. Our brains our for specialized tasks. To use every part of your brain at once would waste energy and make one have less efficient task performance. Also one would have yo be constantly eating. So yea. If we used all of our brain all the time wed be multi tasking constantly but very inefficiently and have to be eating all the time.

Frankenstein

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Aren't we talking about brain's capacity here rather than intelligence? I do agree lack of ethics is one of the bigger issues.
Well all the brain is about is intelligence, nothing else. More capacity could only make you smarter. Memory alone is not so useful, especially nowadays when I can just look up anything I want on google in a matter of seconds.

Waindo

Legendary
Kin
869💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Bro. We use every region of our brain. But at once we only use certain portions because that's what we need in the moment. Our brains our for specialized tasks. To use every part of your brain at once would waste energy and make one have less efficient task performance. Also one would have yo be constantly eating. So yea. If we used all of our brain all the time wed be multi tasking constantly but very inefficiently and have to be eating all the time.
I'm aware of that.
When you think of it majority of the world's populus IS multi-tasking constantly in this new era.

TimothyTheTomato

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Aren't we talking about brain's capacity here rather than intelligence? I do agree lack of ethics is one of the bigger issues.

And a lot of brain activity including necessary functions are subconscious. My anatomy teacher showed my class a Better video explaining it but in summary for the video that i can't find is if we used every single part of our brain AT ONCE itd be inefficient and energy wasting;however, i do think we can unlock more of our cerebral capacity. But every part of our brain is in use. The ten percent thing came from the early 1900s when less of our brains were discovered but now we know about temporal,frontal etc lobes.
And unfortunately 2/3 of the population still think we only use ten percent of our brains

Last edited:

Waindo

Legendary
Kin
869💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
People underestimate the brain but it's not like some Lucy shit, lol.
Well ofc it's not. Lucy is fiction.
Savants you can google are closer to reality. For example the dude who recited the Pi. by heart to it's last decimal for 4-5 hours. Correctly.
Or there's a guy who dives under Antartica's ice w/o his core body temperature changing.

Nobel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
People think the humans brain potential is 20%? Nope if it was the case we would be on mars since a long time ago.

The humans brain full potential is beyond imagination, now there are not many who take advantage of this "10%" we currently have.

And then there is stupidity.....

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well ofc it's not. Lucy is fiction.
Savants you can google are closer to reality. For example the dude who recited the Pi. by heart to it's last decimal for 4-5 hours. Correctly.
Or there's a guy who dives under Antartica's ice w/o his core body temperature changing.
Aren't there millions of known digits in Pi (since it's an irrational number)? Damn, that's crazy.

What does the brain have to do with body temperature change, though?

Waindo

Legendary
Kin
869💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Aren't there millions of known digits in Pi (since it's an irrational number)? Damn, that's crazy.

What does the usage of one's brain have to do with body temperature change, though? I never took bio so I don't know.
My bad, he recited it to it's 22, 514th decimal.

Umm correct me if I'm wrong but hypothalamus is the centre in our brains that controls body temperature. It does this by triggering changes to effectors, such as sweat glands and muscles controlling body hair.

shresthabijay26

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We use approximately 10% of our brain power/capacity. I can't even imagine what would we be able to achieve with full capacity.
^^This has been proven long time ago and there wasnt much proof to begin with . To disprove this theory, they did several experiments and saw that almost every part of brain is used at any time. And If only 10% is used, your 90% would get damaged and you would die.

Nobel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
^^This has been proven long time ago and there wasnt much proof to begin with . To disprove this theory, they did several experiments and saw that almost every part of brain is used at any time. And If only 10% is used, your 90% would get damaged and you would die.
? its not the part which is used its how efficiently you are able to use them. The brain has many....MANY secrets.

Howard

Supreme
Kin
1,430💸
Kumi
4,464💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I read a study if you unlock a bit of your brain (we dont use much of it) we could achieve greater things
We use approximately 10% of our brain power/capacity. I can't even imagine what would we be able to achieve with full capacity.
no i think its 20 not sure though, but if we reached 100% read it would be too op etc (watch lucy lol)
Yeah, it's 20%. XD OT: Educational indeed.
Not sure if you people are serious or not but if you were using only 10-20% of your brain you'd have to have severe brain damage. Don't take that offensively, I'm saying it as fact not as an insult. Even when you sleep every part of your brain is active in some way the only time a portion of the brain is silent is when brain damage has occurred for 80-90% of a person's brain to be inactive they would have to have gone through some severe brain trauma and you'd probably have to be nearly comatose if not near death.

1. Studies of brain damage: If 90 percent of the brain is normally unused, then damage to these areas should not impair performance. Instead, there is almost no area of the brain that can be damaged without loss of abilities. Even slight damage to small areas of the brain can have profound effects.

2. Brain scans have shown that no matter what one is doing, all brain areas are always active. Some areas are more active at any one time than others, but barring brain damage, there is no part of the brain that is absolutely not functioning.

3. The brain is enormously costly to the rest of the body, in terms of oxygen and nutrient consumption. It can require up to 20 percent of the body's energy—more than any other organ—despite making up only 2 percent of the human body by weight. If 90 percent of it were unnecessary, there would be a large survival advantage to humans with smaller, more efficient brains. If this were true, the process of natural selection would have eliminated the inefficient brains. It is also highly unlikely that a brain with so much redundant matter would have evolved in the first place; given the historical risk of death in childbirth associated with the large brain size (and therefore skull size) of humans, there would be a strong selection pressure against such a large brain size if only 10 percent was actually in use.

4. Brain imaging (neuroimaging): Technologies such as positron emission tomography (PET) and functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) allow the activity of the living brain to be monitored. They reveal that even during sleep, all parts of the brain show some level of activity. Only in the case of serious damage does a brain have "silent" areas.

5. Localization of function: Rather than acting as a single mass, the brain has distinct regions for different kinds of information processing. Decades of research have gone into mapping functions onto areas of the brain, and no function-less areas have been found.

6. Microstructural analysis: In the single-unit recording technique, researchers insert a tiny electrode into the brain to monitor the activity of a single cell. If 90 percent of cells were unused, then this technique would have revealed that.

7. Synaptic pruning: Brain cells that are not used have a tendency to degenerate. Hence if 90 percent of the brain were inactive, autopsy of normal adult brains would reveal large-scale degeneration.

Last edited:

Apêx1

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sick thread.

Bunch of idiots in here though. We use 100% of our brain's overall capacity, stop buying into those stupid myths that make no sense. The only reason people think we us 10-20% of our brain is because no task requires every portion of the brain, ie certain parts of the brain have specific jobs. Not every portion of the brain can be used to think, run, etc. So in that sense we're using 10% of our brain for something, another 10% for another thing, another 10% for something else and so on, and so forth.