~Cross Marian~

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Ok first off I want to say that this is a shitty program but it's a simple tool which is free so this is a noobguide from an amateur who wants to show what you can do in order to make a really simple avatar so dont expect any ubershiny skills xd

FAQ
The plug-in for making the rounded corners is called 'Radius fill corners' and can be found .

Plug-ins can be found .

The folder where you place the plug-ins can be found via (well in my case) Local disk(C)>Program files>Paint.NET> Effects. So you simply put them in the folder Effects.

1. Open the picture you want to use and put a background in a new layer (focus on the layer with the background which you fill with any colour you like, in my case black). Use 'recangle select' and mark the whole pic and select Effects>Fill>Radius fill corners and change it after how much you want it to curve.

You must be registered for see images

2. After that you have transformed the background as you want it to look like do use duplicate layer which you can see in the picture with red text. The copy will be used as a frame to the background. Also uncheck the pic of the toon/character which looks like a blue check in the layer window to make it easier to make the background.

3. Select the layer in the bottom and colour it to any colour so you can transform easier for next step. Now use your 'move selected pixels' which looks like a blue arrow with a '+' below it in your Tool window and transform the upper layer with the duplicated background in order to make the layer in thhe bottom to build a frame by making the upper layer smaller than the one in the bottom.

4. Now It's time to make the render (picture of the toon/character) to fit in the background with frame (in my case I want to make it look like the character pops out from the picture for a 3D effect). So enable the pic by checking the box again in the layer window and the pic will get visible again. The tricky part now is to make the pic to fit in the curved edges but there's a small trick you can make and that's to use the 'Rectangle select' in the tool window and mark a square as big as the background on the pic layer and then use 'Effects>Fill>Radius fill corners' to round off the edges and then use the eraser tool to fit it in even better.

5. Now It's time to make a better background for Masterchief and I will go for a sky with some clouds. So target the uppder layer of the duplicate ones and use the tool 'Magic wand' which is next to the tool which looks like a hand (Pan) and click on the background so the background turn blue as in marked.

Now go to 'Effects>renders>clouds' and the background will turn to clouds which you can customize in the window that pops up. After that go to 'Adjustments>Curves' and go RGB and then un-check red and green check-boxes because we want to make the background blue (see pic).

6. Now It's time to make the toon to look better so we use 'Adjustments>Brightness and contrast' and look what makes it look better. I used the 'Lasso tool' which is below 'Rectangle select' to make some parts of the whole body darker meanwhile other parts like his feet stay in it's original shape.

7. Optional! If you want you can always change colour of the character/toon by using the 'Adjustments>Curves' and play around with the RGB curves. And make sure to use the 'Lasso tool' and make so not stuff like the machine guns in my pic become yellow for making it more realistic ;)

That's it! Thanks for reading my tutorial for making a simple avatar and sorry if It's a bit shabby but im not that pro in making tuts :p

Last edited:

~Cross Marian~

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Use Photoshop... I hate it it is ugly You can only use Ugly Color's o-o.
I have switched to Photoshop CS5 for a week ago. Just wanted to share what I learned in Paint.NET and show for the ones who cant get Ps what they simply can do U_U

In fact. The one I use currently is one of a few arts I've done :D

Last edited: