How did Minato become Hokage while the 3rd was still alive?

Gatchaman1

Kin
5💸
Kumi
10💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
While reading the various Vs. threads (mostly attempting to prove that the 4th was just average, yeah right!), I began to wonder how the 4th became Hokage considering the 3rd was still alive and well, and the legendary Sannin were still around (well, I suppose that whole Oro thing about using people in medical experiments might have taken him out of the running for Hokage!) Still, it does seem strange considering we know that the 2nd became Hokage after the death of the 1st, and the 3rd became Hokage after the sacrifice of the 2nd. Is this an indication of Minato's abilities (my thought, but I admit I'm a fan---). Or is there some other reason to explain how he became Hokage at such a young age with a Hokage still in office.

Btw, I just wanted to say to all those making their top 5 most powerful characters list with Tobi/Madara on it: Minato kicked his a$$ (hahaha!) :p

butterpie

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Jiraiya did not want to be Hokage, Oro was too crazy, and Tsunade needed convincing, thus Minato was chosen.

I am not going to debate power of the Sannin compared to Minato's cause that would get heated

Lt Fresh

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
the 3rd said "I'm getting to old for this". He thought Oro would be a good replacement, then found out he was evil. Then thought of Jiraiya but of course Jiraiya was like no thanks. SO Minato was the next best choice