0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hoshi no samidare
You must be registered for see images
General Info
Series Name:Hoshi no samidare(also known as Wakusei no samidare or Lucifer and the biscuit hammer)-
惑星のさみだれ

Years of serialization: Jun 30,2005 to Aug 30,2010
Autor(s): Mizukami Satoshi
Artist(s): Mizukami Satoshi
Genre(s): Action, fantasy, comedy, romance, drama, tragedy, ecchi, seinen.
Current status: Finished (10 volumes, 65 chapters+epilogue; completely scanned)
Other formats: /

Series Summary
One morning, after waking up, a sullen bespectacled college student named finds out the world is in mortal peril by the mouth of a lizard knight who introduces itself as . The said knight asks for Yuuhi's estimable services agains't the mage and his minions. The first task is to find the princess and protect her before their enemies get her and then fight the enemy and overcome them…however in little time Noi will find out that Yuuhi is… .
After making clear that he will no take part in any of that, Yuuhi goes to college, and is followed by Noi. With no little skepticism, Amamiya listens to Noi's proof that his words are real: the ring that appeared on Yuuhi's hand. Such ring, says Noi, provides our hero with the power called , which appears in the of an orange bubble that can move anything that gets in it with telekinesis…which Yuuhi uses to have a of his female professor…
Despite being granted such power, Yuuhi insists in his apathetic attitude towards the whole ordeal, and continues to resume his normal life. After reaching his flat, Yuuhi finds out that there are other warriors (12 to be exact) and such data strengths his resolution of no fighting.
A little later he gets hungry and decides to go to the ramen shop. On his way there tho, he will be assaulted by one of the mage's minions: mud dolls called " ". His enemy surpasses him in both resilience and raw force. No matter how much Yuuhi runs, the golem will catch him up. Just when he's about to get a fatal blow, a lovely teenage girl appears in scene and saves Yuuhi. Who might that be? The princess herself: ! Who also turns out to be Yuuhi's neighbor. Such a coincide…or not? And there chapter one finishes. How will princess Samidare be able to convince Yuuhi to be her knight and help her save the world? ;)
(Some important notes: do not google Hoshi no samidare to look for some images. It's full of spoilers xd And also, I did not include the whole premise -which will be clarified in chapter 2- because I don't want to spoil the the series has, so if you want to look for another review on the web (like in MAL), be advised some of them might ruin the surprise factor).

Critical Rreview
The day I started to read Hoshi no samidare, it seemed quite simplistic, like one of those cliché fantasy stories in which the boy meets a sort of magical animal that grants him powers which he uses to fight evil and so on; but I kept reading it because the first chapters were hilarious (and the comedy kept coming all along the series, so it's one of the series' strong points). It seems there are quite a few reference to The Pillows, FLCL and TTGL…I didn't catch them all, but I saw a few (other) jokes about common shonen cliché and they had me rolling xd:

Also, not gonna lie, was my fav character in the series until certain knights appeared ^_^ Now Sami is my number three, but she's still awesome. I'd post post more panels of her awesomeness, but the ones I like the most are all spoilers xd. Which leads me to an important point: I wrote in the summary there are 12 knights. The question that raised in my head was: are all of them important and useful? Will I care for all of them when there's only 65 chapters to read?
Well, it turns our that they're not only useful and cool, but also well developed! Each of the knights have their motives to fight, alongside with the stories of how they became knights (yeah, flashbacks, but cool ones and they're not in the middle of battles xd Some of such flashbacks are very sad and tragic while others rather give an idea of the personality and daily life of the knights, either way they're very effective). The interactions between them are very natural and endearing, so the story is build up in part by the actions and thoughts of the characters. How the knights think and act affects the tone of the narration and the decisions they make mold the story, giving them an active role in the story. Also, the personality of the knights cannot be easily labeled as "tsundere" or any other archetypes given the mangaka gave them enough screen time to be characterized in a rather unique way.
The plot it self becomes a little more flavored by adding a third secret party that also aims for the destruction of the world (you'll see). This gives some thrills to the story, since we're always pending on the thoughts of the third-party and how it develops. Also, we'll see some plot twists that will keep the heat up and make up for the lack of originality of (part of) the premise. The story seems, if not planned all throughout, at least loosely planned, thus it has its good share of foreshadowing and good consistence (no strange plot holes or so).
The pace is somewhat slow in the first two volumes, but all the build-up will be of vital importance for Yuuhi's development later on (and btw, our apathetic hero has one of the best development I've seen for a character of his kind…not like Sami's story won't touch your heart :'(). The narration sometimes feels like a slice of life, which isn't bad and adds a nice tone to the series. It is also very emotive at times (dammit, I felt contrite lots of times, about to shed some tears xd I only cried twice tho. Anyway, it's feels very tragic at times).
The art isn't specially detailed on the background, but it's effective (we get the setting is a modern japanese city, the characters feelings and so on. I've to say the paneling is quite nice and well done). There are some interesting character designs xd The battles are easy to follow, and sometimes the panels are pretty legit. I've saved quite a few action panels from the series. However, the battle count is a tad low, and even tho it makes up with the fact all of them are awesome, it might disappoint the readers that expect a fight every three chapters.
Now, I'll talk about my favorite part of any manga/anime I read/watch: the topics. The series mainly revolves about the idea of building your future with your own hands,no matter how unexperienced, unskilled, weak, young or even unmotivated you are. It unfolded by showing us how Yuuhi started to build his strength little by little doing some small (sometimes big) tasks everyday to get closer to his goal. Such tasks ranged from jogging and waking up early to bigger ones like properly training his Domain control and more. Little by little Yuuhi and some other characters started to break the chains (if you read chapter 3 you'll see what I did there ;)) that restrained them and impeded them to move forward towards the future. By the end to the series, all the characters grew up a little (another wink from my part). On purpose of growing up, the topics of what being an adult means and what maturity takes were sub-topics that were often developed, alongside the importance of having meaningful relationship (aka, the importance of having social life xd) and the value of unity in times of adversity (and I swear, it's convincing on each topic).
With all of this said, all that is left for me to write is:
Go read Hoshi no samidare gooddamit!​
Frankly, when it comes to this manga, I agree with Sami:
It's being seriously underrated and ignored!!

Disclaimer: This is my first review, so I apologize if I committed lots of grammar/spell mistakes (while I always try to write well, sometimes I just slip xd English is not my native language), it's not well written (meaning is confusing, doesn't give a proper idea of the plot or the sentences are jumbled up) or if it includes to much stuff xd I tried to use a nice format and all.

Last edited: