[Discussion] Hinata Hyuga: Not so One-Dimensional as Many Believe?!

KGB Kakuzu

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Many like to claim that Hinata is one dimensional (one dimensional in this context referring to the concept that all she sleeps, eats, and breaths is "Naruto- Kun"), and only ever revolves around Naruto. If you only look at words and phrases, and ignored location and context... you might be correct. However, if one applies logic, and rational thinking (one must think outside the box) they should easily be able to deduce that Hinata is not just a one dimensional person.

1. Appearances in the Manga

Hinata is not a main character. Thus, she will not appear NEARLY as often as main characters. In addition to this, she will not have as many plot points focus around her, and this will limit how much of her character will actually be flushed out.

However, most importantly, Hinata will 95% of the time appear in situations that have the Main Character (Naruto) in either A) The same location, or B) Doing something that focuses around the Main Character.

Appearances:

1. Chunin Exams

A) During the Written Exam, she sits next to Naruto.
B) During the Forest of Death, she is fighting/surviving in the same harsh conditions as he is.
C) During the Preliminary matches, she is in the same area, and watching his/the same fights as Naruto is.
D) May as well mention... she's taking the Chunin Exams the same year he is.
E) Appears just before and during Naruto's match with her cousin Neji.

2. Final Part I Chapter

A) Appears in the Hyuga Compound in part of a sequence showing the other K11 members wishing to get stronger by the time Naruto returns.
B) Neji brings Naruto into the conversation
C) The above is reinforced by Kiba... despite Hinata's initial attempt to ward it away

3. Part II Introduction

A) She is introduced to comically convey that she still cares for him.
B) Naruto is hastily looking for people to commit to a mission.

4. Sasuke Retrieval/Itachi Pursuit Arc

A) Selected with Team Kurenai to assist in the mission with Team Kakashi
B) Gets paired to guard Naruto with Yamato... selected by Kakashi
C) Is thus with Naruto when Kabuto appears.
D) Later on is still with the team as Tobi appears.
E) Finally the mission ends when she arrived with Naruto and Co. at the wrecked fortress... empty

5. Pain Invasion

A) Primary Antagonist hunting for Naruto attacks the village... shown to be in the village.
B) Once more seen when Pain wrecks Konoha.
C) Wishes to aid Naruto (who faces Pain alone... which is unusual), but told not to interfere.
D) Goes to help only when Naruto is defeated.
E) Nearly Killed trying to save him.... succeeds albeit indirectly.
F) Shown again as Naruto fears she is dead, and when being healed by Naruto.
G) During the Above... we have constant updates about Naruto.
H) Last seen with the group of people cheering for Naruto

6. Kage Summit Arc

A) Appears with the group thinking about what to do with Sasuke
B) Naruto tells them not to worry

7. War Arc

A) Appears fighting in a war to protect Naruto
B) Saved by Naruto
C) Is ordered to move to Naruto's location

8. Juubi Revival Arc

A) Appears having helped Ino Mind Transfer Obito
B) Stands with her father and cousin to protect the drained Naruto
C) Saves Naruto from the Mokuton Spike
D) Would have died protecting him... but Neji takes it.
E) Re-Kindles Naruto's fighting spirit.
F) To keep it short, continues fighting the Juubi with the alliance.

Conclusion: 95% of the time, Hinata only appears in situations that have the main character in close proximity, or is doing something to defend the main character... sometimes BOTH. A notable Secondary Character Trait.... that being only appearing when a Main Character is present.

2. Personality

Probably the shortest factor to be played because it is relatively straightforward. Hinata is a gentle person who only wishes for peace and harmony. She is kind, caring, and compassionate about those around her. Her hardest trait is that she's shy, and as such it makes things hard for her when being around the person she loves.... who happens to be the main character.

Conclusion: Hinata's personality is one that cares for others, and not just Naruto. Due to her shy personality, she finds it hard to speak or act around Naruot... leading her to usually think about him when he's nearby... developing the commonly referred to "Stalker" personality.

3. Love

While some of use may never have fallen in love, I'm sure many have love for their friends, siblings, and parents. And a lesser extent of this, I'm sure many have had crushes, or people they've dated.

When one of the people you care for is in trouble... is it not natural to be concerned about them?! Additionally, when you have a crush on someone, or are dating them... do you not wonder what they are doing, or even how they are?! When the person you have a crush on is in the same room as you... don't you tend to have either a focus on them, or occasionally think about them while the individual there with you?!

At this point in the manga, it has been practically confirmed that Hinata truly loves Naruto... while yes she's 16 and that's a little young.... remember that this is a manga so the whole age thing doesn't always matter. So under that idea, why is it one dimensional if Hinata thinks about the person she has liked since childhood, and with recent years has confirmed she loves him? Adding in her shy personality, it makes it even harder for her to express such emotions simply because she is too shy to do so.... leading her to generally think about the person.

As a side character, Hinata will appear only in situations that will have the Main Character close to Naruto, or will have Hinata doing something that has a tie to the Main Character (War Arc for example). Since she loves Naruto, she will always have a thought about him... and even more so if his occupation is a Ninja fighting to the death against enemies.... or Giant World-Creating Monsters.

Conclusion: Her love for Naruto is apparent, as such, whenever near him, or knowing he may be in danger/fighting to protect him... it is only natural for him to be in her thoughts. Her shy personality kept her from being able to directly speak about it... leading simple thoughts of it.

4. Moments of Individuality

Even with her limited appearance... and focus upon Naruto due to his Main Character Status, Kishi has provided moments where Hinata does not have Naruto as her direct focus, or even in her thoughts.

Chapter 78- Page 2

In this scene, Hinata is simply bringing an ointment to Kiba due to his cuts and bruises from his fight, she doesn't even mention Naruto, but instead is focused on Kiba and Akamaru.

You must be registered for see images

Chapter 58- Page 6

Out of concern for herself and her team's well being, Hinata recommend to Kiba that they should follow Shino's advice in playing things calmly. Which shows concern for her friends.

Chapter 238- Page 8

In this scene, Hinata is merely bringing out tea for her father and cousin. It is Neji who brings up Naruto on the following page. Even then, Hinata says that it is fine, and is actually pushing away the subject until Kiba arrives to keep it in focus.

Chapter 356- Page 6

In this scene, Hinata is focused on the encroaching enemy behind her.

Chapter 357- Page 3

In this scene, Hinata is entirely focused on the present state of Kabuto's body... which is being taken over by Orochimaru

Chapter395- Page 6

In this scene, Hinata focuses soulely on the target's chakra signature.

[/IMG]

I've gone through the effort of finding the exact chapter and page for all of the above; however, in the interest in my own time, I will simply provide a series of other scans showing Hinata taking individualistic actions that do not revolve around Naruto. The last image does show her raising concern over Naruto's well being; however, it was placed with the intention of showing an example of her being useful and productive to the overall continuation of the story (Chapter 611: Saving Naruto, Gai, Bee, and Kakashi's lives)

Conclusion: There do exist a few more scans that also show her not thinking of Naruto; however, for the sake of making this thread even longer... I've left them out. The point is, Hinata is not really that different from other people when it comes to being a shinobi. Due to her role as a Secondary Character (and a secondary in love with the main character) her rare panel time typically results in her thinking of Naruto; however, despite this, there are clear moments where Naruto is not in her thoughts or actions. Were she to be given panel time in situations where Naruto is not even present, it would be very likely that she would not invade her every thought. However, instead of seeing situations where she is only around her team, her family, or quite simply not doing things near or focused on Naruto, we'd be able to see her more flushed out: caring for others and thinking of others just as she does for Naruto when he's around.

5. Neji's Death

The death of Neji Hyuga... needless to say was poorly handled. The genius of the Hyuga Clan for some reason (that being plot/character development) was unable to creatively think of a counter (aerial rotation?!).

Regardless... the situation left Naruto done. His mind was crushed. If one pays attention, it is obvious that Hinata herself is crushed... as she actually starts crying unlike Naruto who is wide eyed. It is right here when Hinata gives her speech, people like to claim that she only cared about Naruto... which is completely wrong.

1. They are in a war with a God of Creation... the don't HAVE time to mourn... it will only kill more people.

2. Doing the above even worse... puts Neji's actions to complete and utter waste.

3. Even though Hinata is giving her speech... she was still clearly upset.... look at her face once she finishes speaking and holds Naruto's face... her mouth is curved awkwardly to show she's holding back her emotions.... (remember Kakashi mentioning how Shinobi need to keep their emotions in line).

The only part of his death that was bullshit was her retarded ass "Naruto-Kun's hand comment". The part about it making her feel safe was ok... but the whole big and strong part was retarded. Considering her gentle and kind personality... and the fact that Neji just died... made the moment out of character. Also, for those who say, "She didn't close his eyes,"... Naruto was the one holding him not her... really how many times have you seen in movies or games where the person NOT holding them does it. If anything it was Naruto's job... but also remember they are at war... no time to waste really. Besides within a few chapters, the Juubi has eradicated his corpse twice... so as sad as this is... it really wouldn't have made a difference since he was cremated.

Conclusion: Neji's death showed that Hinata dearly cared for her cousin... she was in tears; however, as a shinobi, she had to put it past her... or else she'd only cause more people to die. Furthermore, she had to snap Naruto in gear or everyone would die. Despite a horribly failed moment by Kishi (Hand Comment)... the situation was handled as a shinobi should probably handle it.

If you do not consider this obvious proof that she's deeply upset... then your definition of caring differs from mine.

6. Role as a Character

Hinata's role in the story primarily comes in keeping Naruto on his Ninja way.

1. During the written exam... she says she does not want Naruto to disappear (her reason for helping him cheat). It gives him the courage to not cheat, and then he further slams his hand down with his speech.

2. Just before Naruto fights Neji, he's completely down; however, Hinata tells him he's a proud failure. His unwillingness to surrender is what true strength is, and he returns to his normal personality. Thus, has the mind set to beat Neji.

3. Naruto is defeated by Pain... her actions allow Naruto to free himself... and thus keep him from backing down, or going against his desire to win.

4. Upon Neji's death... Naruto is mentally broken, but Hinata steps in and returns him to his normal self.

Conclusion: Hinata's role or at least largest contributions come from keeping Naruto on his ninja way... this means it is not about her showing her becoming strong or her showing her full character outside of Naruto... instead, it was written as someone who keeps Naruto from falling. Factor in her feelings for him... and it only helps to make her appear more one-dimensional when really these "obsessive Naruto moments" are really her just playing her secondary role.

Conclusion Overall

Hinata is not a one dimensional character if you objectively view her role, emotions, and actions in the series. It is largely because she holds a secondary role that she is labeled as a One-Dimensional person. Because of this secondary role, she is only seen around Naruto or in situations that will involve Naruto. Because she has a gentle, caring, and shy personality, it ends up being hard for her to express her feelings to him, but the caring and gentle personality conveys that she cares for others and not just Naruto (Examples: Neji, Kiba, Shino, Kurenai, etc). If given situations that would not always revolve around or include Naruto, it is virtually guaranteed that Hinata would display concern and caring for those around her (look at the Guren Filler Arc before Naruto arrives... but alas... 'tis filler). However, this will never happen for Hinata is a Secondary Character. As such, one must look at her character form a multitude of perspectives to understand that while the parts of the story she's shown in heavily focuses her thoughts and actions on Naruto... if you look at the story the character would have outside of these moments... she isn't some creepy stalker who only cares or thinks about Naruto. It also proves her every line of dialogue has Naruto-Kun in it, but actually does show signs of having thoughts and actions that are relative to other people.

Hopefully this will also bring about the idea that not only Hinata, but many other characters have qualities and sides to them that are more than typically stereotyped. Let's not hate, but appreciate all the pieces to the puzzle :hint:!

*If you read even a part of it, I thank you for your time. I'll also thank Crystal Chakra for providing some scans. Please keep character bashing to a minimum... if you still disagree you are entitled to your opinion, but I'd ask that you respectfully say nothing more than you disagree. Flame Wars are a useless commodity on Narutobase, and as such, keeping them to a minimum is preffered.*

Thank you much, and I hope you enjoyed the thread.

Last edited:

Sot6p

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I still find her potential as a character limited by Kishimoto.
She wants to change the Hyuuga, right?
The one that loves her little sister and is doing it for her. Because she doesn't want Hanabi to be branded the seal.

Why the author only shows her love for Naruto, though? She has amazing potential for the story.
I don't like it because a character with such potential shouldn't be neglected like that.

Just like I hate the fact that Kishimoto made Naruto stronger because of Sasuke.
"Sasuke is stronger than I am? Well, then I'll train!"
Isn't the fact that Akatsuki is chasing him enough? Or the fact that Akatsuki is consequently putting all of his friends in danger? Or his dream of being Hokage?
When Naruto got the key of his seal, he commented that he'd need it to fight Sasuke.

I like the world the author made, it's brilliant. The shinobi world, the general history, the hate, wars...
But the fact that some characters are driven solely on another is annoying.

So many characters have tremendous, unexplored potential. It's understandable, though. The manga is quite big already.
The fanfictions that are based on character progression are enjoyable, but long.

Last edited:

Made in Heaven

Supreme
Kin
5💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The one that loves her little sister and is doing it for her. Because she doesn't want Hanabi to be branded the seal.

Why the author only shows her love for Naruto, though? She has amazing potential for the story.
I don't like it because a character with such potential shouldn't be neglected like that.
THat's what Naruto said he'd do [for Neji & Hinata's sake]

And really, we haven't seen anything of Hinata & Hanabi's relation to say how they feel towards each other.

S A G E

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yes, her character now is more mature, determined, and she has gained her much needed self confidence.
A fine woman befitting to be naruto's partner. :whip:

Made in Heaven

Supreme
Kin
5💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Wow aa long read but its worth it. However you seem to imply that Hinata will not be paired with Naruto in the end. Your implication is not approved but everything else is
I doubt that's what he means, This thread is just to show she's not a 1 dimentional character who revolves solely around her love for Naruto.

Sot6p

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
THat's what Naruto said he'd do [for Neji & Hinata's sake]

And really, we haven't seen anything of Hinata & Hanabi's relation to say how they feel towards each other.
Those are my assumptions from her personality.
I'm just showing how there is a lot of unexplored ground.

Jinrou

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Just like I hate the fact that Kishimoto made Naruto stronger because of Sasuke.
"Sasuke is stronger than I am? Well, then I'll train!"
Isn't the fact that Akatsuki is chasing him enough? Or the fact that Akatsuki is consequently putting all of his friends in danger? Or his dream of being Hokage?
When Naruto got the key of his seal, he commented that he'd need it to fight Sasuke.

I like the world the author made, it's brilliant. The shinobi world, the general history, the hate, wars...
But the fact that some characters are driven solely on another is annoying.

So many characters have tremendous, unexplored potential. It's understandable, though. The manga is quite big already.
The fanfictions that are based on character progression are enjoyable, but long.
I don't think kishi has a choice actually. After all she's a side character. He can't just go diving into her development just like that.