~WastelandSociety~

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Published on Aug 18, 2016 If you thought the thumbnail was offensive, you're not going to like this video.

These are my general thoughts on cultural appropriation, and I know this topic is a really sensitive one. There's way more that could be said about it than can fit into a seven minute video, but here are the main reasons why I don't believe that cultural appropriation is a major problem like some people like to paint it as.

Long story short, I think what people need to keep in mind is that offence is taken, not given. Just because you might be offended by something, it doesn't mean it's inherently offensive to everyone. Segregating cultures will never lead to more unity in society, which is what we really need right now.

Shout out to my girls Laci Green and Franchesca Ramsey, and to MTV in general. Without them, I would have nothing to make videos about.

What are your guys thoughts on the topic.
Do you agree or disagree?

_____

On a off topic/funny/connected to the video : If you know anything about Laci Green, she was recently triggered by Some Black Guy and MrRepizon, over the issue of this video using a thumbnail of her (with a few changes on the original pic) and tried to report the video. Video is still up so I guess she doesn't know much about Fair Use.

Though if the video stops working here in a few more days then it's more than likely that Laci Green got her way. As YouTube has been giving these types of butt hurt people what they want.

Reactions: Fountain

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,444💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
For me cultural appropriation is when you misrepresent it or take it from some other culture and then claim it as achievement/ specialty of another. Basically taking their credit away.

CasualMisfit

Regular
Kin
15💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
For me cultural appropriation is when you misrepresent it or take it from some other culture and then claim it as achievement/ specialty of another. Basically taking their credit away.
^Basically this.^

I'm a firm believer in cultural exchange. Something that has been happening since the inception of our species.
I think it requires a level of respect however, which comes down to common sense. Don't treat people's cultures as a game or novelty. Simple.

Fountain

Elite
Kin
13💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I find the whole thing very dumb in general, almost (if not) all cultures and traditions have been mixed and inspired/influenced by other cultures one way or another throughout history.

Oh god, my grammar is awful

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,444💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I find the whole thing very dumb in general, almost (if not) all cultures and traditions have been mixed and inspired/influenced by other cultures way one or another throughout history.

The issue exist because it annoys people when you use something significant to a living culture and use it as a mere exotic prop devoiding of it's context, devolving it and not caring about how people who came up with it feel about it.

Not saying that all claims of appropriation are logical. Some are utterly ridiculous. Just that the concept itself isn't a myth. Assimilation is fine and dandy but still cultures represent collective traditions of groups too. Sometimes they want to be acknowledged for their contribution at others they want you not to insult their icons by misusing it.

Last edited:

Mellow

Legendary
Kin
30💸
Kumi
521💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
^Basically this.^

I'm a firm believer in cultural exchange. Something that has been happening since the inception of our species.
I think it requires a level of respect however, which comes down to common sense. Don't treat people's cultures as a game or novelty. Simple.
agreed