Floydical

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We all know how animated shows turned live action movie never turn out well. Most notably, we have the live action Dragonball and Last Airbender; both were terrible. However, from what I can tell, the new Ghost in the Shell movie might actually prove to break this chain of mediocrity.

Why might this movie break the stigma? I think it primarily because of the world it is going to turn to live action. The reason series like Dragonball and Last Airbender fell flat is because live action cannot possibly do such a fantasy world justice. In animation, the break between character and ability is seamless. The difference between Aang's profile and his elemental powers seem non existent. The same can be said about Goku and his Kamehameha, they are all animated equally so they share the same essence of reality.

Live action breaks this level of believability. No matter how good the actor, he cannot bridge this gap of believability... unless maybe he could produce an actual Kamehameha. Same goes for the Last Airbender. Any CGI affects created to show a character's power instantly breaks a wall of believability in our minds. Basically, making live action versions of those kinds of shows while maintaining its reality are impossible.

HOWEVER, this same limitation does not seem to apply to Ghost in the Shell. In this anime, from what I've seen, no character has any supernatural powers. Every character in the show is either human or a human with robotic modifications. And what is there primary method of harming others? Yes, its GUNS. In live action, guns are the EASIEST form of offense to mimick without causing a break in reality.

Conclusion? At the very least, Ghost in the Shell will not prove a flop like past anime-movie-adaptions have. With a little luck, it might prove the first SUCCESSFUL anime adaption to date. I feel excited for this prospect and am curious if anyone feels the same. Thanks for reading.

Flakez

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
From what I gather ( never watched this anime) is that it has some philosophical and other more complex themes in it, which I'm sure won't be present in this movie. You need mass appeal and making it more like a sci-fi action is what they'll most likely do. So the hardcore anime fans will definitely not be happy with this adaptation. Although I can see it being quite successful regardless.

Yeah right

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It will work because robot movies (the general term) have already been done before in Hollywood. I don't think we should be worried if it looks good, like you said, there is nothing that creates a disturbance in what we see happening on screen. The problem I see in this film is that it's 15 years too late and now it will come off as pretentious.

Yeah right

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So will Naruto be good?
Mark my words, it won't. The structure of the movie will be awkward, they will have to remove a lot and the fandom will never satisfied. Luckily, Ghost in the shell only has a cult following. And please don't lie, it was never mainstream.

However, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Reactions: Chikombo

Nagi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It will fail.

1.They already gave her a new name.
2. Already made seem like she is a hero trying to save the world.
3. They miss the point of Ghost in the shell. It is about individuality and stand alone complex where unrelated individuals act in a similar manner which creates an appearance of a concerted effort.

So this movie gonna be ass because it getting the American filter to make it suitable for us audience. This is why it will fail!

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
i see this like that Assassins Creed movie that came out not long ago

commercial entertainment is all about compromise for the masses, money, etc. the problem with these films is they change the already established artistic success for the sake of potentially milking a brand. theyre using the brand but then its missing what made the series worth knowning, i mean the success of the series has already been shown, even if it is to just a niche market like gamers or anime fans. youre just dumbing it down

but that seems to be the goal over and over across multiple mediums of art on a major commercial level. apparently appealing to a lot of people actually means not conveying anything of real importance or substance. which what does that say about the majority of people?

Flakez

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
i see this like that Assassins Creed movie that came out not long ago

commercial entertainment is all about compromise for the masses, money, etc. the problem with these films is they change the already established artistic success for the sake of potentially milking a brand. theyre using the brand but then its missing what made the series worth knowning, i mean the success of the series has already been shown, even if it is to just a niche market like gamers or anime fans. youre just dumbing it down

but that seems to be the goal over and over across multiple mediums of art on a major commercial level. apparently appealing to a lot of people actually means not conveying anything of real importance or substance. which what does that say about the majority of people?
Most people go to the movies for entertainment, which is what the big blockbusters provide. You can partly blame the chinese, because they are the 2nd biggest movie market and they don't care for great acting or amazing story.

Now that's not to say all blockbusters are bad, there's plenty good ones. But it's understandable, I mean most Oscar winning movies are dramas that are fairly depressing, like the most recent winner Moonlight. People already deal with that in real life, and they just want a movie to escape that. That's why they are made on a tiny budget and make quite small box office returns.

When it comes to adaptations of games and other mediums, in this case anime, I don't know why they can never get it right. You can adapt something and simplify it, but still keep the core things that made it good, yet it never works out.

I don't think you can blame it all on the people though. Everything that's ever been popular is precisely because it appealed to the majority. And that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. There will always be people for the niche market regardless. Besides even if an adaptation doesn't live up to the expectations, the fans always have the original.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Most people go to the movies for entertainment, which is what the big blockbusters provide. You can partly blame the chinese, because they are the 2nd biggest movie market and they don't care for great acting or amazing story.

Now that's not to say all blockbusters are bad, there's plenty good ones. But it's understandable, I mean most Oscar winning movies are dramas that are fairly depressing, like the most recent winner Moonlight. People already deal with that in real life, and they just want a movie to escape that. That's why they are made on a tiny budget and make quite small box office returns.

When it comes to adaptations of games and other mediums, in this case anime, I don't know why they can never get it right. You can adapt something and simplify it, but still keep the core things that made it good, yet it never works out.

I don't think you can blame it all on the people though. Everything that's ever been popular is precisely because it appealed to the majority. And that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. There will always be people for the niche market regardless. Besides even if an adaptation doesn't live up to the expectations, the fans always have the original.
@bold: omg!! no way!?!?!

Entertainment: the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment

Enjoyment: the state or process of taking pleasure in something

idk what youre trying to accomplish with that useless post but the majority of people are jackasses. throughout all time and all generations? no, but this one for sure, you couldnt tell me otherwise. im not reading a different version of a similar response youve given me before

Yeah right

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
@bold: omg!! no way!?!?!

Entertainment: the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment

Enjoyment: the state or process of taking pleasure in something

idk what youre trying to accomplish with that useless post but the majority of people are jackasses. throughout all time and all generations? no, but this one for sure, you couldnt tell me otherwise. im not reading a different version of a similar response youve given me before
Explain how this post is useless to the rest of us.

Most of society are not jackasses. However, most of society will not agree with you on everything so that just means they have a different opinion. So basically you are the jackass who think that different people with different world views are jackasses.

lets ask this question. Is this movie even for us? I would say no. It's for everyone else. Because why would a person watch the same thing over again but in a different medium??? You only think it lacks substance because you were already asked these strange questions while watching the anime or OVA and the rest of society are being asked the same old questions now. That's why I said this movie is 15 years too late, and I'm being generous here.

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Explain how this post is useless to the rest of us.

Most of society are not jackasses. However, most of society will not agree with you on everything so that just means they have a different opinion. So basically you are the jackass who think that different people with different world views are jackasses.

lets ask this question. Is this movie even for us? I would say no. It's for everyone else. Because why would a person watch the same thing over again but in a different medium??? You only think it lacks substance because you were already asked these strange questions while watching the anime or OVA and the rest of society are being asked the same old questions now. That's why I said this movie is 15 years too late, and I'm being generous here.
idgaf, im not reading that bullshit. i just posted my thoughts on it. i honestly couldnt care less how most of you feel about it. stop quoting me with bullshit

unless of course youve made millions milking the commercial movie market and have it all figured out. no? then idc

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oh, I'm praying it is. It's looking like both Kuze and the Puppet Master are in it (maybe they're one and the same O_O) and the visuals look awesome so far. Plus, a win here might open up a greenlight for that long awaited Cowboy Bebop adaptation.

Mark my words, it won't. The structure of the movie will be awkward, they will have to remove a lot and the fandom will never satisfied. Luckily, Ghost in the shell only has a cult following. And please don't lie, it was never mainstream.

However, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.
Are you serious? The original film was one of the biggest anime releases ever and the series was only marginally less successful (it had to be considering it was a TV spinoff of such a massive hit). It's right up there with Bebop and Evangelion which, yes, are widely known and still very popular even if their content level is minuscule compared to shōnen giants like One Piece and Naruto.

It will fail.

1.They already gave her a new name.
2. Already made seem like she is a hero trying to save the world.
3. They miss the point of Ghost in the shell. It is about individuality and stand alone complex where unrelated individuals act in a similar manner which creates an appearance of a concerted effort.

So this movie gonna be ass because it getting the American filter to make it suitable for us audience. This is why it will fail!
Link, please, cause you have to be joking. The whole argument against the whitewashing debacle was that she's a cyborg character, anyways, but if they changed her name, that breaks that debate wide open.

And the movie hasn't come out, so we have no idea how big the scope of the conflict is or how much they tackle the series' original themes. It sounds to me like they're incorporating the main conflict of the original film, so the themes can't be that far behind.