Cfighter

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Lmao, no Gamestop the Video Game Industry is not dying—you are.

XD

Get outta here with your backwards ass, corporate BS. Not all Gamestop stores are bad, I used to enjoy going to my local Gamestop before the corporate BS sunk its claws into my local store as well and they replaced the ENTIRE staff. But as a collective whole, Gamestop is the parasite of the industry. And I'm not even talking about the low trade in values either, but the company practices and policies. They are con artists and it's time for them to go. Good riddance.

Now I get that while the article is largely referencing/interviewing Gamestop, it's really talking about physical gaming as a whole. But even if disks die out, Video Games aren't going anywhere lol. They're still on the upswing and are quickly outpacing TV and even blockbuster movies in terms of revenue and quality storytelling/entertainment. This is no longer a casual market and is one that needs to evolve as our technology does. I was very hesitant about digital gaming in the past; I loved physical games as they were secure, I could trade them/borrow them before I made a purchase, and I liked having my game collection on display. But my eyes gradually became opened this generation as currently on my PS4 it is VERY obvious digital games are my preference. I think there are a few things that NEED to happen before digital gaming can really take off—such as there need to be laws/policies put into place that allow us to return digital goods. But it's very apparent to anyone who keeps an eye out to these things, that the gaming industry is trapped in a bubble and is desperately trying to burst out. And gamestop is one of the things keeping the industry from doing so.

Cfighter

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
how so? id rather go to them then walmart or target
I don't think I've ever bought a game from Walmart or Target—partially because when you think of buying a Video Game you instantly think of Gamestop, but at the same time I cant think of anything exclusively wrong with somewhere like Walmart or Target. They just kind of seem like the kind of store that's there if you want. Best Buy is the place to go though if you want to physically go to a store to buy a game—if you buy their rewards membership (Gamers Club Unlocked or something like that) you get 20% off every new game and pre-order (a $60 game for me there, after taxes, costs me roughly $50), as well as a lot of other benefits but that 20% off new games is worth the investment almost immediately. Its $30 to sign up and the subscription lasts two years, so if you buy physical games signing up at Best Buy is well worth it.

Now, why Gamestop sucks you ask? Ignoring the infamous subject of their downright laughable trade-in values, Gamestop has been caught red-handed doing some HIGHLY shady shit. There have always been (very entertaining) horror stories from employees all over the internet—seriously look that shit up on YouTube, they're quality entertainment—but this time it's been confirmed, and Gamestop even has a name for it called " ". If you haven't heard of it, in short Gamestop places unrealistic daily quotas on every store AND every salesman. Each store/salesman must make a certain % of sales of Preorders/Used Games/Powerup Cards/Trade Ins and if they don't make the mark then they're legible basically for termination. This basically has forced employees to lie to customers for the sake of sales (for example, say you want a new copy of X well if that store/salesman hasn't met the % of used game sales then they might just tell you "sorry we don't have any NEW copies, only USED"). Again, this isn't the case with every single store, but the majority of them ARE like this because the company only cares about profit and couldn't give two shits about the customers or even the staff.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the real kicker? Gamestop responded to this information leak stating something along the lines of: "We apologize, we won't hold individual salesmen to this standard anymore." But they're still going to hold the store as a unit to that standard xD F*ck Gamestop, they need to go.

Last edited:

-Shiro-

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't think I've ever bought a game from Walmart or Target—partially because when you think of buying a Video Game you instantly think of Gamestop, but at the same time I cant think of anything exclusively wrong with somewhere like Walmart or Target. They just kind of seem like the kind of store that's there if you want. Best Buy is the place to go though if you want to physically go to a store to buy a game—if you buy their rewards membership (Gamers Club Unlocked or something like that) you get 20% off every new game and pre-order (a $60 game for me there, after taxes, costs me roughly $50), as well as a lot of other benefits but that 20% off new games is worth the investment almost immediately. Its $30 to sign up and the subscription lasts two years, so if you buy physical games signing up at Best Buy is well worth it.

Now, why Gamestop sucks you ask? Ignoring the infamous subject of their downright laughable trade-in values, Gamestop has been caught red-handed doing some HIGHLY shady shit. There have always been (very entertaining) horror stories from employees all over the internet—seriously look that shit up on YouTube, they're quality entertainment—but this time it's been confirmed, and Gamestop even has a name for it called " ". If you haven't heard of it, in short Gamestop places unrealistic daily quotas on every store AND every salesman. Each store/salesman must make a certain % of sales of Preorders/Used Games/Powerup Cards/Trade Ins and if they don't make the mark then they're legible basically for termination. This basically has forced employees to lie to customers for the sake of sales (for example, say you want a new copy of X well if that store/salesman hasn't met the % of used game sales then they might just tell you "sorry we don't have any NEW copies, only USED"). Again, this isn't the case with every single store, but the majority of them ARE like this because the company only cares about profit and couldn't give two shits about the customers or even the staff.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the real kicker? Gamestop responded to this information leak stating something along the lines of: "We apologize, we won't hold individual salesmen to this standard anymore." But they're still going to hold the store as a unit to that standard xD F*ck Gamestop, they need to go.
you are very passionent about this, understandabul tho after reading that.