Lara

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Some of you might or might not have accounts on sites such as deviantart, dedicated to art and whatnot, but most likely, many of us end up seeing digital drawings that leave you starring in awe and wonder how can some people be THAT talented. I for one feel like slapping myself for not being able to make much progress in this area =/ But I keep trying until, maybe, someday, I will notice that efforts start paying off.

So I tried transforming my traditional drawing of an original character which I named Sinna into a digital one. I used the program called SAI for most of the work, like lineart and coloring, and Photoshop for the final effects.

I would really appreciate anyone who figured tricks in this area if they could help me out a bit :3

Traditional:

You must be registered for see images

Digital:

You must be registered for see images

Reactions: Nick01

Marin

Veteran
Kin
306💸
Kumi
2,001💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I know how you feel. Digital paintings make me drool.

While I myself am not good at digital I can notice some things. The crucial thing here is to focus as much as possible on toning the characters while steadily abandoning visible linework.

Here you've laid out the first few levels of shade but are lacking atleast 2 more - 1 for exagarrated light and 1 for darkened parts. Just a little overlay to make the colors more 3D.

That's about all advice I can give.

Last edited:

Chihaya

Pirate Queen
Veteran
Kin
2,348💸
Kumi
7,896💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wow that's really good. Have you ever heard of Otome games?
You should look them up. You could make your own with Renpy and draw your own characters you're that good!
I suck a digital art so I can't hahaha.
But yeah it's really good tbh

JENchuuriki

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Keep on practicing! Are you doing it on a tablet?

I knew an artist that started out in traditional (of course when digital isn't the trens at the time) but now, she adapted the digital - and makes really wonderful art.

Practice makes progress!

Lara

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I know how you feel. Digital paintings make me drool.

While I myself am not good at digital I can notice some things. The crucial thing here is to focus as much as possible on toning the characters while steadily abandoning visible linework.

Here you've laid out the first few levels of shade but are lacking atleast 2 more - 1 for exagarrated light and 1 for darkened parts. Just a little overlay to make the colors more 3D.

That's about all advice I can give.
Yes, I keep trying somehow to abandon the whole linework thing so it would lead to a more painting-like feeling, but being used to traditional drawing (and not painting), I never know how it's supposed to look =/

And yes, I had a feeling that the shading especially was lacking, will work more on the exaggerated layers :3 Thank you!

Wow that's really good. Have you ever heard of Otome games?
You should look them up. You could make your own with Renpy and draw your own characters you're that good!
I suck a digital art so I can't hahaha.
But yeah it's really good tbh
Nope, I haven't heard of them but will look them up :3 Thank you!

i like the brighter colors used better in the drawing but nice conversion still
Thank you! Yes, I've switched from a light drawing to a dark artwork, wasn't exactly what I planned initially but thought it looked pretty ok-ish in the end.

Keep on practicing! Are you doing it on a tablet?

I knew an artist that started out in traditional (of course when digital isn't the trens at the time) but now, she adapted the digital - and makes really wonderful art.

Practice makes progress!
Yep, using a Bamboo tablet, not the most pro-one, but definitely wouldn't be able to draw anything with the mouse.

Well that gives me hope :3 will keep on practicing! Thank you!

Thank you all for the replies! And I'm sorry I'm so late to respond!

awesomeseimei

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've done digital art based on my hand drawings before, but then I started painting digital from scratch - I find the two methods to be quite different. May be because I usually don't color my traditional drawings.

Though I rarely do either nowadays because my eyes can't handle the strain any kind of drawing puts on them. Regarding digital however, I found that Pixelmator works the best for me. I also tried it on iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, it felt absolutely awesome, too bad these things are expensive :shy: As for the actual way I draw digitally... Well, I basically paint (like I do in watercolor traditionally). Since I do it rarely, I can't do it very well, obviously.