Hawker

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think religious indoctrination is comparable to child molestation. Why? Because most of the religious people of the world are born into their religion and labeled from birth to represent a certain ideology. Thus they are left with no choice to analyze their religion before they choose it. The years 1-5 are the years that are the most important for childs development. Whatever a parent teaches his/hers child during that time will impact the childs future. It makes me sad to think that children are led to believe into a giant fairy, all Omnipotent being, whose windy cosmic farts run the universe :|

Example:
Interviewer Mehdi Hasan asked: ‘You believe that being bought up as a Catholic is worse than being abused by a priest?’.

Professor Dawkins replied: ‘There are shades of being abused by a priest, and I quoted an example of a woman in America who wrote to me saying that when she was seven years old she was sexually abused by a priest in his car.

‘At the same time a friend of hers, also seven, who was of a Protestant family, died, and she was told that because her friend was Protestant she had gone to Hell and will be roasting in Hell forever.

‘She told me of those two abuses, she got over the physical abuse; it was yucky but she got over it.

‘But the mental abuse of being told about Hell, she took years to get over.’

"The first five years of a child's life are fundamentally important. They are the foundation that shapes children's future health, happiness, growth, development and learning achievement at school, in the family and community, and in life in general.

Recent research confirms that the first five years are particularly important for the development of the child's brain, and the first three years are the most critical in shaping the child's brain architecture. Early experiences provide the base for the brain's organizational development and functioning throughout life. They have a direct impact on how children develop learning skills as well as social and emotional abilities
."

Study: Religious children are less able to distinguish fantasy from reality

What do you think, is it as bad as child abuse? Do you think religion should be taught as a fact or as a thing that exists? Discuss.

Last edited:

lord seventh

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree with you somehow
Still religion is also important for overall development but to make it a fundamental principle to follow is like a child abuse

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I wouldn't say it is as bad as child abuse.. but still bad indeed.
No one should ever force anything on a child. Not a religion, not a hobby and so on. Children should decide themselves what they want to do and what not. And religion is something that is completely irrelevant to a child. But I'm afraid that living with religious parents will always corrupt the children too, because a lot of religious people take their beliefs into daily life and culture.

Reactions: Dr Gilgamesh

Hawker

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wouldn't say it is as bad as child abuse.. but still bad indeed.
No one should ever force anything on a child. Not a religion, not a hobby and so on. Children should decide themselves what they want to do and what not. And religion is something that is completely irrelevant to a child. But I'm afraid that living with religious parents will always corrupt the children too, because a lot of religious people take their beliefs into daily life and culture.
What do you think about the example that I edited into the op?

Fair enough it's an example of one person, but it makes me think the differences between physical and mental abuse.

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
What do you think about the example that I edited into the op?

Fair enough it's an example of one person, but it makes me think the differences between physical and mental abuse.
Hm. I think that depends from person to person.
I mean, both, physical and mental abuse are horrible and we can't say in general which is worse. Like.. there are women who kill themselves because they can't live with the experience of physical abuse, while I know a woman that has overcome the hell on earth when it comes to mental abuse.

For a child, both, being touched by a monster and being scared by its words is horrible and cruel. So I would just want to get rid of both. And to be clear, it's not that every child that grows up with religion experiences mental abuse. I'm more concerned about the ideals and beliefs that are forced on a child. Such as "apostasy is a crime!" and "being homo/transsexual will you bring you into prison, death-penalty and hell" and whatnot. You know, the typical cruelty of the main-religions.

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Like George W. Bush?
Yeah in spite of being otherwise incompetent he still got lots of friends and a cushy job

I'm not being totally serious though, if I'm honest, the way I see it is that yeah, parents should just wait to teach their kids religion if they really want to, at later ages they'll be able to distinguish from what they want to believe better. But as far as deep-seated lasting harm goes, I dunno. I'm not gonna call someone a child abuser if they live in a predominantly [Insert Religion Here] area and are just keeping up the practices they're comfortable with.

Mikeuhsomething36

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
How about we leave it to the parents to decide and influence the child whether it ne religion or not. Forcing a child not to believe in anything is just as equally bad as "forcing"them to nelieve in something. When the child comes of age they will make their own decisions. Until then as long as the religion doesn't teach them to do wrong and they remain true.

Also that study states "less likely" in what context? There are studies that show Religious children have more empathy and are more likely to be content in life than non religious children. There's a study for everything and basing it off of such arbitrary factors and a "questionable" demographic is arbitray. For example, every child is different heck some kids whether they be religious or not believe in santa claus or the topth fairy :lmao:. Also which religious demographic did they use? Hindi? Christian? Jewish? Why does it matter? Spme children could do it better than others. What is the scientist definition of "fantasy"? Is it their beliefs? What a silly study, I am by no means religious but stop giving Atheist a bad name thinking you know better for a child and trying to be like the religious extremist who try to force their beliefs down people's throats. Let the child's parent decide that for now :|. If you're so discontent in how a child is raused then adopt or make yoir own kids and teach them. But don't follow a double standard and force a belieg down their throats just like extremists do yours and expect no retaliation and giving atheist a bad name ._.

Reactions: -Haku Yuki-

Hawker

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
How about we leave it to the parents to decide and influence the child whether it ne religion or not. Forcing a child not to believe in anything is just as equally bad as "forcing"them to nelieve in something. When the child comes of age they will make their own decisions. Until then as long as the religion doesn't teach them to do wrong and they remain true.
Bolded: Ofcourse the children should be taught morals. This was about belief in supernatural and that bolded line is your own strawman.

How about teaching children to believe in facts? In making rational decisions? That you have prove something before you can call it as a fact? How about not forcing a life that is based on fairy tales ?

For example, every child is different heck some kids whether they be religious or not believe in santa claus or the topth fairy :lmao:
The weird thing is children manage to grow out of Santa Claus :)

Mikeuhsomething36

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Bolded: Ofcourse the children should be taught morals. This was about belief in supernatural and that bolded line is your own strawman.

How about teaching children to believe in facts? In making rational decisions? That you have prove something before you can call it as a fact? How about not forcing a life that is based on fairy tales ?

The weird thing is children manage to grow out of Santa Claus :)
It's practically hypocritical of you to force a belief down a child's throat. If a child or adult wants to nelieve in something as long as it isn't detrimental to them or others I don't see why one would have such a problem. Any religious person can nelieve in many religious people believe science and religion don't need to conflict and that only human neings make then conflict. To be honest it seems that you have a very peculiar disdain fir religion, as for me, I could care less, I've seen religion help and maintain the sanity of many people. What we accept as truth is because of wgat we can see and prove. While many religions lets take christianity state God is everywhere but is more felt than actually seem, of course this could just be the activation of the amygdala in the brain reacting to a pleasant experience but I don't say that to them, well I will if I must but I don't believe in forcing something down people's throats. I love how seof-rigghteous people are, believing their way is always riggt and that otgers are wrong. Why do you care? Did a religious person hurt your feelings? Your ideals? I'm trying to figure out the purpose of the thread.

Kids griw out of santa claus but that's not the purpose of the study... That's like making a study on how seeds are planted then you have you that makes an aegument unrelated to the study and say one seed grew into a sinflower and one grew into a rose. Thats wasn't the stydy asked, the study talked about children not when they grew up :|.

I'm jist tired of this atheist vs religious leaders fight, it's one thing to suggest a belief but another to outright say one is wrong and should be abolished, then retaliation and rinse and repeat. Who cares? Maybe the child actually likes believing what they believe in. Then when they do you would probably still call them stipid. If anything the try offebder here is you, children will eventually make their decisions, it's the job of the parent to teach them ideals. Basically you just want an atheist siciety which I don't mind but not at the exoebse of someone elses' freedom to reasinably teach.

Hawker

Veteran
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

These children are probably not as dumb as they seem, but when they are forced into a corner with facts they say "Because I was raised this way".

Last edited: