Veteran
Kin
797💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

Some days the Internet is a beautiful place, full of helpful information and good humor. And some days it is a pit of ignorance so deep it threatens to drown us all in the bubbling muck. Today is the latter, but not for the reasons you think.

A few days ago, Jay Branscomb posted the following image from 'Jurassic Park' to his 4,500 Facebook followers.

Hahaha! Super cute joke right? Wrong. As with any attempt at satire a couple of people weren't quite ready. These poor souls mistakenly believed that somewhere out there man has not only resurrected this majestic species from the late Cretaceous period but has done so for the express purpose of killing them for sport.

Some of the comments -
Tyrell Patrick branded Spielberg "a worthless son of a b****!", while Scoomp Pi called it a "sad, disgusting scene".
Becky Daigle said: "One day we realize that we are killing all animals on this planet and we need them to survive. But, when we realize it will be too late."
"I did not know that Steven Spielberg is a dinosaur hunter," said Andrea O'Donnell Koran. "I am not only outraged, but disgusted!!"

"This is no sport!!" cried Omega McCracken, as Sondre Jorstad questioned: "Why did he kill such a rare animal?"
It is hoped that some were sarcastic, but some were so detailed it's difficult to believe they weren't sincere.

"He's a disgusting inhumane p***k," said Penelope Rayzor Buchand. "I'd love to see these hunters be stopped. I think zoos are the best way to keep these innocent animals safe... *******s like this piece of s**t are going into these beautiful animals' homes... and killing them. It's no different to someone coming into your home and murdering you... I'm not watching any of your movies again ANIMAL KILLER."

Now I'm not saying we wouldn't do it — we've all seen 'The Most Dangerous Game' and know bored upperclass humans are the worst — I'm just saying we haven't quite reached that point yet. Save that passion though guys! We'll need it in 2070.

But after two or three folks mistook the joke, something even worse happened. An Internet pile on. Suddenly Branscomb's Facebook page was deluged by thousands of people, all of them squawking about "GAWD IT'S A JOKE DUMMY." As of this writing there are over 32,000 shares and nearly 6,000 comments. Dozens of similar sentiments are sprinkled throughout. There's the classic fact checker:

"Um that's the director. You might know him as Stephen Spielberg... He is pretty famous... And dinosaurs are extinct…" - Meagan R.

And the moral indignation that jokes exist:

"I keep seeing things like this - and all of them operate on the premise the readers are SO ignorant they will believe whatever is in front of them. I'm getting tired of the people posting such nonsense - What's to gain from this kind of behavior?" - Aubrey M.

The white knights defending people's right to be stupid:

"I love how you people are calling others stupid simply because they fell for a picture like this. If this alone makes a person stupid, you must be some close-minded f*cking prick. I'm sure there are plenty of simple facts out there that most people would laugh at you for not knowing." - Teresa V.

The folks that play along:

"Dinosaur poop creates methane gas which causes climate change, he's saving the world people." - John W.

And of course those few good souls who keep the party going, bless them.

Cruciatus

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I hate animal killing I say as I eat meat and call the exterminator if I see a mouse or wasps' nest.

Seriously though, people are complete idiots sometimes I can hardly believe this.

KillerbYo

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oh havnt u heard they actually created real dinousaurs for the movie and some of them shot them for fun! Joke, no this is pretty weird. Guess peope wernt thinking.

Urda

Supreme
Kin
2,210💸
Kumi
7,699💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
LMAO People on Facebook is either dumb or stupid, or I am missing something... But Really?

"Save that passion though guys! We'll need it in 2070."

Anorien16

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
we humans are evolving the wrong way.
No ... our evolution went haywire long ago. In the wild nature's law the dumb or the weak would have killed thus leaving the strong and the smart alive, thus weeding out the specimens who are the subject of the thread. This is only natural if you break nature's cycle.