Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Edo Tensei will be receiving an update in the next month or two. The update will include a significant redesign to give the skill more depth. That means increased risks in its usage, with tradeoffs to manipulate the level of risk as a function of the strength of the biography you're controlling, the tier, its skills, and talismans. It might also include enhancements you can make to the biography as part of this.

Post your questions here regarding clarifications you have about Edo Tensei. Anything you don't know - like what you buy, how to obtain them in battle, what they can and cannot use. Stuff you'd like to see clarified on in the future in this update. I won't necessarily answer all questions here, but it is a nice reference to have going into this.

Reactions: Keotsu

Skorm

ιn ѕιlιco
Elite
Kin
10,956💸
Kumi
81,693💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Edo Tensei will be receiving an update in the next month or two. The update will include a significant redesign to give the skill more depth. That means increased risks in its usage, with tradeoffs to manipulate the level of risk as a function of the strength of the biography you're controlling, the tier, its skills, and talismans. It might also include enhancements you can make to the biography as part of this.

Post your questions here regarding clarifications you have about Edo Tensei. Anything you don't know - like what you buy, how to obtain them in battle, what they can and cannot use. Stuff you'd like to see clarified on in the future in this update. I won't necessarily answer all questions here, but it is a nice reference to have going into this.
I have a few questions i'd like to have clarified about edo's.

1. How are they affected (if at all) by crit damage?
2. What are their regeneration rate from non-senjutsu/six paths techniques? Can they regenerate from scratch in a single timeframe or?
3. Bought edo's, will they only have a single field (aka the field you specify you want to put on it) or will it have also universal skills the user knows?
4. Can edo's use tier 5 and above universal skills?
5. How are edo's affected by Genjutsu? They were not affected by Infinite Tsukuyomi - are there other genjutsu they are immune towards?

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I have a few questions i'd like to have clarified about edo's.

1. How are they affected (if at all) by crit damage?
2. What are their regeneration rate from non-senjutsu/six paths techniques? Can they regenerate from scratch in a single timeframe or?
3. Bought edo's, will they only have a single field (aka the field you specify you want to put on it) or will it have also universal skills the user knows?
4. Can edo's use tier 5 and above universal skills?
5. How are edo's affected by Genjutsu? They were not affected by Infinite Tsukuyomi - are there other genjutsu they are immune towards?
1: As normal. Critical damage is predicated on awareness. If the target has no awareness of the attack, basic senses or otherwise, then it will inflict critical damage. In this update Edo Tensei will be given a health pool, likely their natural health pool. They will have a set regeneration rate per turn. A critical attack that brings the Edo to zero health will destroy the Edo Tensei's body, leaving it to reform. More on this information in the update.

2: They can regenerate from Senjutsu normally, as far as I know. It's really only Truth-Seeking Orbs that can negate them, specifically because of that property. Other techniques that do not have this negation property don't really permanently damage them. Currently there is no set regeneration rate. See the answer to question 1 for more information.

3: This is currently worded really strangely in the technique. I don't want to answer it now but it will be clarified and updated.

4: Yes. In this update the higher tier skills an Edo Tensei has will increase the 'risk level' of 'breakout.' These terms will be relevant in the coming update.

5: Infinite Tsukuyomi didn't hit them, but Izanami did. It's very strange in the series and ultimately looks like it ended up being a plot device. So I'm going to say yes, genjutsu in the RP can definitely hit an Edo Tensei.

Reactions: Skorm

Zatanna

Elite
Kin
4,926💸
Kumi
18,043💴
Trait Points
40⚔️
Can an Edo use customs of the fields that the user knows?
Eg I have an Edo from the shop with rain, but my bio doesnt have rain. I do however have rain customs. Can my edo use my rain customs?

Serpent

Legendary
Kin
6,188💸
Kumi
39,603💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1) In regards to buying an Edo Tensei, with T4 (and up) bios/abilities now being Sensei/Test restricted with no Kumi cost, will that mean that the user will need to buy Edo Tensei and then take the test for said ability?

2) We have seen in the series that Edo Tensei's can have freewill or there will can be suppressed. For example the 1st and 2nd Hokage had their personalities suppressed when fighting the 3rd Hokage, but this resulted in them not being as strong. Likewise when they were brought back in the war arc their personalities were intact, allowing for them to have full access to their abilities and for Hashirama to break free of the hold.. Will this "Breakout" method reflect these, allowing for one to have a "Suppressed" Edo with limited ability but cannot break free or "Unsuppressed" Edo with more ability but could potentially break free from control?

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Can an Edo use customs of the fields that the user knows?
Eg I have an Edo from the shop with rain, but my bio doesnt have rain. I do however have rain customs. Can my edo use my rain customs?
1: No. The point of Edo Tensei was you accessed their knowledge and skills. Not your own.

1) In regards to buying an Edo Tensei, with T4 (and up) bios/abilities now being Sensei/Test restricted with no Kumi cost, will that mean that the user will need to buy Edo Tensei and then take the test for said ability?

2) We have seen in the series that Edo Tensei's can have freewill or there will can be suppressed. For example the 1st and 2nd Hokage had their personalities suppressed when fighting the 3rd Hokage, but this resulted in them not being as strong. Likewise when they were brought back in the war arc their personalities were intact, allowing for them to have full access to their abilities and for Hashirama to break free of the hold.. Will this "Breakout" method reflect these, allowing for one to have a "Suppressed" Edo with limited ability but cannot break free or "Unsuppressed" Edo with more ability but could potentially break free from control?
1: Not sure yet. We'll have an answer in the future. For now it's impossible.

2: Yeah, it will. A rough sketch of the idea goes like this (emphasis on rough sketch). Every biography has a base breakout chance based on its rank and highest tier of skill known. These numbers are completely arbitrary, but here's an example. A Jounin bio with Yin-Yang Release might have a 40% chance to breakout per turn (20% from being a Jounin, 20% from knowing Yin-Yang). A talisman that suppresses might reduce this chance by 50%, dropping it to 0 per turn (40-50 = -10, but really 0). But a drawback to this would be all their techniques do 20 less damage, they can't use Forbidden ranks, or something like that. All of these are made up examples, but that is the gist of how it might work.

Reactions: Zatanna

Serpent

Legendary
Kin
6,188💸
Kumi
39,603💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1: No. The point of Edo Tensei was you accessed their knowledge and skills. Not your own.

1: Not sure yet. We'll have an answer in the future. For now it's impossible.

2: Yeah, it will. A rough sketch of the idea goes like this (emphasis on rough sketch). Every biography has a base breakout chance based on its rank and highest tier of skill known. These numbers are completely arbitrary, but here's an example. A Jounin bio with Yin-Yang Release might have a 40% chance to breakout per turn (20% from being a Jounin, 20% from knowing Yin-Yang). A talisman that suppresses might reduce this chance by 50%, dropping it to 0 per turn (40-50 = -10, but really 0). But a drawback to this would be all their techniques do 20 less damage, they can't use Forbidden ranks, or something like that. All of these are made up examples, but that is the gist of how it might work.
I really enjoy those concepts, it allows for more unique customization and all together feels more like a table top RPG. Excellent for building story etc.

1) With the tier of their ability taking into account.. will the tier of the summoners bio's highest ability also be taken into consideration? Foe example: If a bio that has T5 abilities has an Edo with only T4 abilities, will it have a higher control over that Edo?

2) How exactly will the breakout work? Will it become controlled by a third party like a NW or BA mod? release the soul and end the jutsu? or something else?

3) Will the necromancer specialty also reflect the new update? Perhaps making a new Edo specialty, something along the lines of being able to have one extra Edo or reduce Breakout chances by X%. Then maybe have a the oral rebirth technique specialty being something like, can use oral rebirth one extra time or recover X% more HP when used.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I really enjoy those concepts, it allows for more unique customization and all together feels more like a table top RPG. Excellent for building story etc.

1) With the tier of their ability taking into account.. will the tier of the summoners bio's highest ability also be taken into consideration? Foe example: If a bio that has T5 abilities has an Edo with only T4 abilities, will it have a higher control over that Edo?

2) How exactly will the breakout work? Will it become controlled by a third party like a NW or BA mod? release the soul and end the jutsu? or something else?

3) Will the necromancer specialty also reflect the new update? Perhaps making a new Edo specialty, something along the lines of being able to have one extra Edo or reduce Breakout chances by X%. Then maybe have a the oral rebirth technique specialty being something like, can use oral rebirth one extra time or recover X% more HP when used.
1: Not sure yet. Depends on how many ways there are to break out. One could be connected to knowledge. This would specifically mean access to the information on how to break out of Edo Tensei, like how Madara did it. The other would be purely power based. In which case yes these would probably cancel out.

2: NW mod/sensei. Basically the same as a rampaging bijuu.

3: Possibly. Haven't looked at the specialties yet. Considering the basic stuff first.

Serpent

Legendary
Kin
6,188💸
Kumi
39,603💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1: Not sure yet. Depends on how many ways there are to break out. One could be connected to knowledge. This would specifically mean access to the information on how to break out of Edo Tensei, like how Madara did it. The other would be purely power based. In which case yes these would probably cancel out.

2: NW mod/sensei. Basically the same as a rampaging bijuu.

3: Possibly. Haven't looked at the specialties yet. Considering the basic stuff first.
Last questions,

1) If the Edo's backstory is that they were an ally that you brought back. It wouldn't make since for the Edo to attack the summoner.. Will backstory of the Edo be taken into account? Having the Mod/Sensei control it but still fight on your side? Or will the breakout somehow overwhelm them, shocking them into being a third party?

2) When breakout accrues, could the user then undo the summon releasing the Edo, like what happened with Itachi.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Last questions,

1) If the Edo's backstory is that they were an ally that you brought back. It wouldn't make since for the Edo to attack the summoner.. Will backstory of the Edo be taken into account? Having the Mod/Sensei control it but still fight on your side? Or will the breakout somehow overwhelm them, shocking them into being a third party?

2) When breakout accrues, could the user then undo the summon releasing the Edo, like what happened with Itachi.
1: For it to be an actual drawback something negative will have to happen, be it their soul disperses or they rebel. If not then everyone will just write in their story that their Edo is a former ally. Honestly Edo Tensei'ing an ally is pretty fucked up itself and I'm honestly not sure how good of writing it would be that they'd be okay with that. That said, you do you for the backstory. But there will be a drawback and people won't be able to just circumvent it.

2: Depends on how it occurs. If they break out like Madara then no.

Reactions: Serpent

Delta

Banned
Legendary
Kin
1,422💸
Kumi
8,893💴
Trait Points
39⚔️
1: For it to be an actual drawback something negative will have to happen, be it their soul disperses or they rebel. If not then everyone will just write in their story that their Edo is a former ally. Honestly Edo Tensei'ing an ally is pretty fucked up itself and I'm honestly not sure how good of writing it would be that they'd be okay with that. That said, you do you for the backstory. But there will be a drawback and people won't be able to just circumvent it.

2: Depends on how it occurs. If they break out like Madara then no.
For the first one, what if its the other way around. Can an Edo use an ability/custom i created if we both have said ability? Example being, My Madara has wood release, and if i get an Edo that also has wood, can it use the customs i created? Canonically i should be able to teach a custom i created and my bio has right?

For the drawbacks, im curious to see how this plays out. The part you stated about "not good writing" bringing back an alley is pretty meh, i built an entire storyline around resurrection my bio's child, who had requested to his other sibling that he be brought back when my bio returns, so in story, it made perfect sense for my bio to bring back his child, as well as the child wanting to be brought back to be of service to his father, so seeing how the drawbacks will affect how we story base our edo's will be interesting.

A small idea from me though, pertaining to the above, could possibly give our Edo's a chance at going berserk. Something like, a 20% chance that the soul tethered weakens abruptly, sending the Edo into a sort of rage mode or something.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
For the first one, what if its the other way around. Can an Edo use an ability/custom i created if we both have said ability? Example being, My Madara has wood release, and if i get an Edo that also has wood, can it use the customs i created? Canonically i should be able to teach a custom i created and my bio has right?

For the drawbacks, im curious to see how this plays out. The part you stated about "not good writing" bringing back an alley is pretty meh, i built an entire storyline around resurrection my bio's child, who had requested to his other sibling that he be brought back when my bio returns, so in story, it made perfect sense for my bio to bring back his child, as well as the child wanting to be brought back to be of service to his father, so seeing how the drawbacks will affect how we story base our edo's will be interesting.

A small idea from me though, pertaining to the above, could possibly give our Edo's a chance at going berserk. Something like, a 20% chance that the soul tethered weakens abruptly, sending the Edo into a sort of rage mode or something.
More information on this later. Could go either way.

Like I said, you do you. I don't want to turn this thread into a writing workshop. It's just hard for me to fathom a character that would be okay with having their afterlife stolen from them. Edo Tensei is a pretty profane technique.

Berserk? Maybe.

Kai NB

Legendary
Kin
640💸
Kumi
6,987💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Will the tier of the sacrifice you get assist in your control of the Edo?

For example if you sacrificied someone with Tier 3 abilities and tried to Edo a Tier 4 bio, it would be less in control. But if you Edo a Tier 5 bio with a Tier 6 sacrifice, you get a lot more control?

This is kinda a tie in to Serpent’s question about if your own Tier is above the Edo tier or equal it’s easier to control

Reactions: System001