zenkutsu

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
( Im happy about the good responses toward Akatsuki no Espada. Guess that is the green light to keep going with it. But for now, as always I will cycle through my ff's)

For new readers and regulars, you may follow the link the fanfic's link in my signature to find my other works and chapters

Chapter 11: The Disciple

It was a few months since captain Kuchiki used his bankai against his brother. Since then, things have mostly returned to normal. The Captain led the squad on most missions and when necessary deployed the third seat. I received no formal orders and never was sword in as a Lieutenant. The captain said he would only recognize me once I drew blood on him while he used his Shikai.

The captain told me that my Zanpakuto, Empi, is most likely part Kido-type. At this point it was only a matter of speaking with Empi and figuring out what to do. I set the three blades in front of me and began to meditate, trying to reach my inner world. It took a few moments but the world around me turned dark, and I found myself floating in the sky. A never ending grass land was below me and I was surrounded by fluffy white clouds. The color of a blue and grey feather skittered past my eye and went into the puffy cloud behind me. I sat up in mid air, my black hair flowing from a gentle gust. I looked at the figure who appeared on the cloud.

Empi was strangely almost the exact opposite of me, where as most zanpakuto were at least similar in personality to their soul reaper, Empi and I were vastly different. I was an average sized, slender girl with medium length black hair. Empi, however stood a good two feet taller then anybody else I had ever met. She had a very curvaceous figure with a prominent bust. She had platinum blonde hair that was long enough to reach the center of her back. Her clothing comprised of a one piece suit of multicolored feathers that covered only her unmentionables. With her stand out appearance, her name wasn't really suiting. (Empi- The flight of the swallow). She was more of a peacock then a swallow.

"What's wrong my little Katsune? What is it that you need from me?" she said with her smooth calming voice.

"I am not strong enough to even touch the captain's skin, let alone cut it. I need to grow stronger," I replied.

"I might have some secrets to share with you. But I have some things to ask you first," she said.

"Like what?"

"Why is it that you cling to that man? Why go through such paces to prove yourself?"

"I...I don't know..." I replied. It had never occurred to me, why I so admired the Captain. Was it his strength? But that could not be it. Was it that he saved me that day? But is this worth that, when he himself thinks so little of it. The thought came upon my like a wave crashing down on a sandy beach. Despite his name, his sword and his brother's name, I knew almost nothing about the Captain. Since I became his lieutenant, I have only have limited conversation, and mostly it has been about my seemingly impossible task.

"You worship this man like a god, yet you do not know why. That sounds like blind devotion. Why put yourself through such paces to gain his favor. Why?" she asked. I simply sat silent, unsure of how to answer. "I think you have some serious thinking to do before I help you continue your mission," she finished as she laid back and slipped into the clouds.

I opened my eyes, awakening from Jinzen. To my surprise, in front of me, sitting on a boulder was the Captain. Rairyu was impaled into the stone in front of him. He too was in the process of Jinzen. It was an interesting sight, seeing small sparks of lightning pass from the blade to him. His muscles twitched with each jolt, yet as a whole he remained perfectly still. It took only a moment and he too awoke from his meditation. He smiled at me as he stood up, taking his sword and sheathing it.

"You look troubled," he said.

"Oh, really? I'm fine, sir, " I said nervously.

"If you say so. How is your training going?" He asked.

"Well, Empi finally decided to answer my call. And she says she does have other abilities like you said, but she says I have some decisions and thoughts to make before I can begin to learn them," I replied.

"I see, well best of luck. I will be ready when you are," he said as he began to walk.

"Uum, excuse me capitain," I began to say sheepishly.

"Yes, what is it?" he asked.

"I hate to be informal but may we start talking more often?" I asked. He was taken back slightly and a little confused.

"What about?" he asked.

"Anything sir. I feel like I know nothing about you. I don't understand it, I want to know you. I want to know you as a person. I feel this is the only way I can progress in my life," I replied. The Captain looked a little stunned at first, but then turned to confusion, then to a look of pity and then a smile.

"If you feel that is best, then very well. I have some things to do today, but how about we talk tomorrow?," he said as he began to turn away.

"Yes, that would be great sir. Also, I hate to overstep my boundaries, but...may I start going into the field. I hate being a burden to the squad."

He paused for a moment, and began to walk away, "I trust you."