zenkutsu

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
(Hey guys. Just so you know, this fanfiction wont run as long as some of my others. For new readers and regulars, you may find a link to my other fanfics and their chapters by following the link in my signature "fanfics" )

Chapter 10: Sheathing Bankai. Forbidden Lightning

I opened my eyes. Besides the three captains standing in front of me, there was nothing recognizable of the landscape. The entire training ground was reduced to a crater. Captain Yamamoto sheathed his blade.

"So this is the drawback of his bankai," I heard captain Ukitake say under his breath.

"Drawback?" I asked, "What drawback?"

"When a bankai is as powerful as Captain Kuchiki's it tends to pose a severe drawback. A reason not to use it," Captain Kyoraku began. " Yama-jii's Zanki no Tachi is the greatest heat known to the soul society. But it is so powerful that it has the chance to destroy the soul society and himself. So he rarely uses it. On the other hand, Captain Kuchiki's Rairyu is prided for it's great control over electricity, which in it's natural state is difficult to manipulate. But in Bankai all that control is lost for sheer power. He just lets his power run wild in this state. Which makes him powerful if he is by himself, but when allies are nearby he is a danger as well."

"Indeed," Head Captain Yamamoto began, "It is this destructive power that drew me here. I had to use my power to hold back the explosive wave. If he had gone completely unrestrained it could have caused countless casualties."

"...Just think...of what it did to Ichirou..." I slowly realized. I stepped out from behind the captains. I looked towards the epicenter. There was a large cloud of smoke and debris still surrounding where Ichirou stood. I tried to run there but I was stopped by the head captain's hand on my shoulder. His hand was still considerably warm, searing my skin a little. The dust began to fall, and immediately I saw a glowing object. As the dust cleared I saw Captain Kuchiki standing over Ichirou. The blade continued to glow despite how much energy it released. Ichirou was at his knees. Blood poured from the top of his head and down his neck. All of his hair pieces had shattered, leaving his bloody black hair to fall into disarray. The tip of the glowing blade was held to Ichirou's nose. Ichirou just sat there twitching. I noticed that two trenches extended behind Ichirou on both sides.

"He parted the blast wave..." Captain Ukitake managed to say.

"The equivalent of stopping a blade an inch in front of somebodies nose," Captain Kyoraku commented. Captain Kuchiki lifted up his blade and held it up to his scabbard. He began to sheath his weapon. As he dragged the blade across the opening, a massive lightning bolt arced across the battlefield as the blade slowly discharged it's remaining energy. Slowly the blade returned to normal and was slid into the scabbard. Captain Kuchiki walked past me and straight to the Head captain.

"You do realize the extent of the danger posed by your blade, right?" Head captain asked.

"I do. I only released it's full power because I knew you were here to restrict it," Captain Kuchiki.

"That isn't the point. Such a power that cannot be controlled must never be released in the seireitei! Too many lives could be lost as a result."

"Yes, I understand."

"From this moment on you must never release your bankai without expressed approval by me. Am I understood?"

"Yes sir, I completely understand. In all actuality I despise this Bankai. These is little reason for me to ever use it again."

"Good, now come with me. We have things to discuss with central 46," the head captain said as the two captains left. Captain Kyoraku and Captain Ukitake left as well, leaving only myself and the broken, bleeding Ichirou who slowly got up and limped away.