Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Get ready for dogs to blow. your. mind.

Um so at University i've really gotten into (don't laugh) Dog Theory. And a modern study actually revealed something really really crazy about the way dogs have evolved. It turns out, we don't know sh*t about domestication.

I could explain it in full detail but I made a cute lil summarised video on the subject last week I think? It's seriously amazing stuff.

[video=youtube;ePddNcYPOuk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePddNcYPOuk[/video]

FULL ARTICLE HERE:
ORIGINAL BOOK: Genius of Dogs by Brian Hare

Reactions: BazzBee

Disquiet

Supreme
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lol I didn't know this was even a studied theory. I was going to approach that "god sharing ideas" thread with the inclusion of animals, and dogs' good/bad behavior was going to be a major point.

I would have preferred an article or a longer video perhaps, but I guess I can search for that myself lol.

Edit: Oh, you did link an article.

Reactions: BazzBee

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I watched an amazing documentary on how dogs evolved with people. They are amazing creatures. Far more patient, non-judgmental, and forgiving than most humans.
It's the first time a species has ever actively taken interest in another species this way? Like totally changed how evolution WORKS. That is a loyal ass dog.

I didn't know this was even a studied theory. I was going to approach that "god sharing ideas" thread with the inclusion of animals, and dogs' good/bad behavior was going to be a major point.

I would have preferred an article or a longer video perhaps, but I guess I can search for that myself lol.
Oh I totally recommend buying the book somewhere, it's only cheap and is such a heart-warming smart read haha

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lol I didn't know this was even a studied theory. I was going to approach that "god sharing ideas" thread with the inclusion of animals, and dogs' good/bad behavior was going to be a major point.

Yeah the book is ideal though

NaNaNaaaaa

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Very interesting. It's true, animals that have grown in areas where humans don't frequent are more friendly

I have heard that spider monkeys in Japan are very friendly

If we just stopped killing in general everything would get better. But humans make a habit of killing things that can't defend themselves and the hunters use excuses like, Bears and Lions can protect themselves, yes, yes, like claws and teeth vs shot gun is a fair fight...gah! Makes about as much sense as a badger cull cutting bovine TB

BTW is that you in that video?

NaNaNaaaaa

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wow, I believe it is, judging from that second pic he posted in that other thread and the fact the the guy in the video has an accent, while his location says he's from the UK.
He also said "I made", go figure my lack of observation

Well you robbed him of a generalized complement I hope you're happy XD *just teasing*

Does this same "lets look cute and manipulate the humans into caring for us* side of evolution also apply to cats? Could we call cats truly domesticated?

Reactions: Disquiet

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

[video=youtube;v4ZOzBIBdzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ZOzBIBdzQ[/video]
Listen to Neil.

Disquiet

Supreme
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Well you robbed him of a generalized complement I hope you're happy XD *just teasing*

Does this same "lets look cute and manipulate the humans into caring for us* side of evolution also apply to cats? Could we call cats truly domesticated?

Well cats do have a reputation for being manipulative. The problem I see is that there is probably a legit reason why dogs are said to be man's best friend as opposed to cats. Cats seem to lack that degree of companion value, and I can't think of any guard-like or protective value at all (I'm sure there are exceptions and newsworthy mentions). Growing up, my family has had a great degree of both cats and dogs, and the former never really seemed all that interested in my affection. Cats seem much more emotionally independent. Nor would I ever catch a cat giving two ****s about who is walking onto our lawn or strangers entering the house.

On top of that, there's not much of a reason to fear the small cats anyway. I mean they're more likely to run away from me than attack me. So as you can see where I'm getting at, the incentive for "domesticating" seems like nothing comapred to the dog. If anything, if we humans are willing to domesticate lions, bears, and any other kind of animal that may or may not show us affection/give us companionship, it just shows how companion-driven we are as a species. How emotional we are. Did the cats learn this of the humans by watching the dogs' interaction with humans? That'd be very sneaky o fthem :p. They can get so much by doing so very little lol.

Now, I'm also not going to sit here and say that I'm percieving everything. There may be numerous benefits I'm not thinking about. One example would be what I mentioned earlier as a "negative", not being emotionally dependent on humans may actually work for a lot of us that finds the affection-craving dog annoying.

It's just that with the little benefits I'm percieving at the moment, it makes you think about the possibility of the humans taking them in under their own free will. I'd really have to study the history on the behavior of cats to give an accurate answer. Particularly how they interacted with humans. If they just coudn't resist the smell of local campers's meals, then I'd imagine they could get pretty close since us humans most likely wouldn't have feared them, and maybe even shared with them. Actually, looking at a cat's present behavior, I can't imagine them approaching a human for any other reason than food lol (though arguably I guess, the same can be said for dogs).

[video=youtube;v4ZOzBIBdzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ZOzBIBdzQ[/video]
Listen to Neil.
How fitting lol.

Last edited:

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well cats do have a reputation for being manipulative. The problem I see is that there is probably a legit reason why dogs are said to be man's best friend as opposed to cats. Cats seem to lack that degree of companion value, and I can't think of any guard-like or protective value at all (I'm sure there are exceptions and newsworthy mentions). Growing up, my family has had a great degree of both cats and dogs, and the former never really seemed all that interested in my affection. Cats seem much more emotionally independent. Nor would I ever catch a cat giving two ****s about who is walking onto our lawn or strangers entering the house.

On top of that, there's not much of a reason to fear the small cats anyway. I mean they're more likely to run away from me than attack me. So as you can see where I'm getting at, the incentive for "domesticating" seems like nothing comapred to the dog. If anything, if we humans are willing to domesticate lions, bears, and any other kind of animal that may or may not show us affection/give us companionship, it just shows how companion-driven we are as a species. How emotional we are. Did the cats learn this of the humans by watching the dogs' interaction with humans? That'd be very sneaky o fthem :p. They can get so much by doing so very little lol.

Now, I'm also not going to sit here and say that I'm percieving everything. There may be numerous benefits I'm not thinking about. One example would be what I mentioned earlier as a negative, not being emotionally dependent on humans may actually work for a lot of us that finds the attention-craving dog annoying.

It's just that with the little benefits I'm percieving at the moment, it makes you think about the possibility of the humans taking them in under their own free will. I'd really have to study the history on the behavior of cats to give an accurate answer. Particularly how they interacted with humans. If they just coudn't resist the smell of local campers's meals, then I'd imagine they could get pretty close since us humans most likely wouldn't have feared them, and maybe even shared with them. Actually, looking at a cat's present behavior, I can't imagine them approaching a human for any other reason than food lol (though arguably I guess, the same can be said for dogs).

How fitting lol.
I thought so lol, if you haven't seen the show before you should check it out, it's brilliant in it's dialogue. It's called Inbetweeners. UK version.

Disquiet

Supreme
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oh yeah, another obvious one is that having such a little stomach, they don't eat through your paycheck lol.

And on another note, there may be animals that are naturally more hospitable than others, with no evolutionary-driven purpose to get closer to humans. Actually, when I put that thought into perspective assuming it to be true, if dogs are the key to natural harmony, then humans would have been the door.

I thought so lol, if you haven't seen the show before you should check it out, it's brilliant in it's dialogue. It's called Inbetweeners. UK version.
Thanks, I'll see if Google Play has it.

Last edited:

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oh yeah, another obvious one is that having such a little stomach, they don't eat through your paycheck lol.

And on another note, there may be animals that are naturally more hospitable than others, with no evolutionary-driven purpose to get closer to humans. Actually, when I put that thought into perspective assuming it to be true, if dogs are the key to natural harmony, then humans would have been the door.

Thanks, I'll see if Google Play has it.
If not I know Netflix does, Hulu has it for free I'm pretty sure and I think it's on Youtube as well.

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

There's definitely more to it than just 'har har cats are evil dogs are angels' as cats ARE domesticated whatever way we look at it. The studies and research has definitely described early wolf and early neanderthal as the origins of this kinda evolution. Dogs are the pioneers and hey! it's spreading! Domesticated pet animals are now in our homes (cats dont really have jobs and earn their rent but sure) and the bears and tigers are dying out :/

Cats seem to have worked out consciously or not that it's no longer about survival of the fittest/strongest but survival of the friendliest. Woo go cats.