Yubel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You know there seems to be a huge correlation between success in life and reading. According to this one study, CEO's read 4-5 books a month while the average american reads a book a year. 60% of which don't even get through the first chapter.

I can imagine many get turned off by reading thanks to the boring school books we've been forced to read untill we graduated. However, when you read in your free time you choose the books you want to read, in what topic and what genre you want to read in. You also do it at your own pace because there is no homework or deadline you need to keep track of, no assignments you need to send in etc. So if you're anywhere from 10-18 years old. The best thing you can do right now to get a headstart at succeeding in life is to pick up a book.

I personally only read non-fiction books though I have been interested in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Maybe start there if you're more into fiction books. Btw, girls tend to read more than guys but they read shit like 50 shades of grey which won't really help them much. So the kind of books you read makes all the difference. Men tend to read non-fiction more and one great thing about reading non-fiction is(assuming the author is legit) that you get to share in that persons life lessons without having to go through the decades and lifetime of ups and downs that they had to go through. So it massively shortens the learning curve, fills you with knowledge/wisdom and increases your chances of having a great life.

Some great books I've read that could be a starting point for you are:
-The Millionaire Fastlane
-The 10x Rule
-The 50th Law
-The Miracle Morning
-The Prince
-Why "A" Students work for "C" Students
-The 48 Laws of Power
-The Brain: The story of you(picked up in airport and still reading, great book though).

Reactions: Chie

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Americans don't read as many books on average because it's not the leading source of entertainment anymore. CEO's probably read more because they have little time to do anything else during their leisure.

But as for books I'm reading currently.

Marcus Aurelius Medidations

Le Morte D'Arthur

Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest

The Once and Future King

Plato's Republic

Mad Titan Thanos

Banned
Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah apart from reading comic I also read books.Last year (2015) I have reed all 10 books of Song of ice and fire,all 4 books of War and peace,оur book called Велики рат (about WW1),book called Путин моћ Русије (about Putin and Russia).

Since I am finished with college I would have more time for books.

And I prefer historical books .

TenseiganFTW

Veteran
Kin
229💸
Kumi
39💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I personally am a student.
I am reading about Technology and information and i study the holy Qur'an.
Also i was very bored to start to learn in college cause i had to learn alot in school and i really became lazy you're right LOL

Yubel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
cba reading books because i can't focus, it's too boring :c
Swedish girl, it's only boring if you read a boring book.

Maybe your attention span wouldn't be so low if you got off your phone.

Something to think about.
Americans don't read as many books on average because it's not the leading source of entertainment anymore. CEO's probably read more because they have little time to do anything else during their leisure.

But as for books I'm reading currently.

Marcus Aurelius Medidations

Le Morte D'Arthur

Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest

The Once and Future King

Plato's Republic
The main attraction to entertainment is escapism. I didn't suggest reading books for entertainment. I advocated reading for success, reading to better your life. People entertain themselves for a fleeting moment only to go back to their shitty lives. If your life was so great you wouldn't need entertainment as much. We witness the extraordinary on screens and ordinary everywhere else.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Swedish girl, it's only boring if you read a boring book.

Maybe your attention span wouldn't be so low if you got off your phone.

Something to think about.
The main attraction to entertainment is escapism. I didn't suggest reading books for entertainment. I advocated reading for success, reading to better your life. People entertain themselves for a fleeting moment only to go back to their shitty lives. If your life was so great you wouldn't need entertainment as much.
Well A Tale of Genji, considered to be the first literary work in the world was meant for entertainment. No matter how good your life is, you'll always need to be entertained. The richest people in the world still go to movies, play videogames, read fiction.

Otherwise how can you justify watching anime?

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
This is my stash. Lost some books over the years.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

As for your remark; ''The main attraction to entertainment is escapism. I didn't suggest reading books for entertainment. I advocated reading for success, reading to better your life. People entertain themselves for a fleeting moment only to go back to their shitty lives. If your life was so great you wouldn't need entertainment as much. We witness the extraordinary on screens and ordinary everywhere else.''

My ex gf's mum has closets full of life coaching books, she read them all and hasn't changed a bit. Every answer you can find by challenging yourself personally. You don't really need books for that. You'll find inspirational and eye opening signs throughout your life from the most unexpected situations. I know people from my school who run their own businesses by now and they don't read anything.

Last edited:

Yubel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well A Tale of Genji, considered to be the first literary work in the world was meant for entertainment. No matter how good your life is, you'll always need to be entertained. The richest people in the world still go to movies, play videogames, read fiction.

Otherwise how can you justify watching anime?
If the first thing you're thinking about when reading a book is entertainment than you got a problem. I didn't say entertainment was bad, you can still enjoy entertainment but people lack the willpower to invest their time in themselves which is the only thing that will give them a great return on investment.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If the first thing you're thinking about when reading a book is entertainment than you got a problem. I didn't say entertainment was bad, you can still enjoy entertainment but people lack the willpower to invest their time in themselves which is the only thing that will give them a great return on investment.
And why can't people do both like people normally do? When you go to read a manga, are you telling me you don't do it for entertainment?

nrto60

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah book reading is a good time pass hobby... I prefer fiction novels especially thrillers, I'm a big fan of Sidney Sheldon and Dan brown...

Loved to read Harry potter when I was a kid...

Yubel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And why can't people do both like people normally do? When you go to read a manga, are you telling me you don't do it for entertainment?
I don't think you understood my post. You can still entertain yourself aslong as it's not your main concern. Yeah I read manga purely for entertainment even though it's taught me more life lessons than school ever did. My point is to invest time in yourself, whether that's reading books or going to the gym or meditating or learning a new skill or just reflecting where you want to be say, 5-10 years in the future.

Umari Senju

Legendary
Kin
238💸
Kumi
96💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't really read self improvement books but escapism as you've mentioned. I have a very active imagination and enjoy reading vampire novels, comic books/ Manga...well men's health magazines so I suppose that counts as self improvement. XD

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't think you understood my post. You can still entertain yourself aslong as it's not your main concern. Yeah I read manga purely for entertainment even though it's taught me more life lessons than school ever did. My point is to invest time in yourself, whether that's reading books or going to the gym, meditating or just reflecting where you want to be say, 5-10 years in the future.
And that's what people usually do. Sometimes they want entertainment and sometimes they want to learn.

However books are no longer the prime source of entertainment, which takes away half the reason why people read them as much.

Yubel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And that's what people usually do. Sometimes they want entertainment and sometimes they want to learn.

However books are no longer the prime source of entertainment, which takes away half the reason why people read them as much.
Most people don't want to learn anything, but I will continue to read books and get an unfair advantage in life and in a few years I'll be called "lucky".

Dr Gilgamesh

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I usually only read textbooks and Mangas, novels not so much. I do enjoy the reading experience tho. There is just something incredibly satisfying about turning a page, feeling the texture of the paper and just the overall smell of books. That's why I hate ebooks lol

Reraru

Legendary
Kin
11💸
Kumi
2,500💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I usually only read textbooks and Mangas, novels not so much. I do enjoy the reading experience tho. There is just something incredibly satisfying about turning a page, feeling the texture of the paper and just the overall smell of books. That's why I hate ebooks lol
But it can be a bother to have too many. I prefer ebooks.