Do Ninja Stats Matter?

Kin
10💸
Kumi
10💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Recently, I got into a tiff with some people on tumblr, with regard to stats and why they were dropped. I used an analogy, comparing them to Dragon Ball Power Levels; in the sense to both stats (in Naruto) and power levels (Dragon Ball) were abandoned by their respective authors as the stories they were telling progressed.

My argument was, that stats/power scaling on Naruto got out of hand when things like Sage mode, MS power ups, 8 Gates, Lightning armor, Bijuu modes, Yin Seal, Rikudo power ups, general improvement by characters and new characters seemingly being more powerful than old characters.

When you factor in the large cast of Naruto, and try to prescribe a number to each character's abilities, it get's ridiculous. Factor in things unique to them; like intelligence (Shikamaru, which won him the fight against the higher stats of Hidan), KKG (Uchihas, Darui+ Mei+Ohnoki, Karin + Kushina) or battle skill (Zabuza's silent kill, Gai + Lee's taijutsu, Naruto's cunning/craftiness) it get's ridiculous.

The old scale for Naruto stats was out of 40. With all the OP shit we've seen since then ( from beginning of Part 2 up to Hidan and Kakuzu arc is where the 3rd Databook stopped), you can see why Kiishi went the way of Toriyama, in terms of power level, and instead told the story he wanted to well.

But, as per usual, the detractors tried to claim I was wrong and that stats DO matter. However, they didn't rebut any of my claims or come up with explanations for why a number system would be abandoned by the writer.

What do you think?

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Agree with this 100%. I hope people read this in the future
Recently, I got into a tiff with some people on tumblr, with regard to stats and why they were dropped. I used an analogy, comparing them to Dragon Ball Power Levels; in the sense to both stats (in Naruto) and power levels (Dragon Ball) were abandoned by their respective authors as the stories they were telling progressed.

My argument was, that stats/power scaling on Naruto got out of hand when things like Sage mode, MS power ups, 8 Gates, Lightning armor, Bijuu modes, Yin Seal, Rikudo power ups, general improvement by characters and new characters seemingly being more powerful than old characters.

When you factor in the large cast of Naruto, and try to prescribe a number to each character's abilities, it get's ridiculous. Factor in things unique to them; like intelligence (Shikamaru, which won him the fight against the higher stats of Hidan), KKG (Uchihas, Darui+ Mei+Ohnoki, Karin + Kushina) or battle skill (Zabuza's silent kill, Gai + Lee's taijutsu, Naruto's cunning/craftiness) it get's ridiculous.

The old scale for Naruto stats was out of 40. With all the OP shit we've seen since then ( from beginning of Part 2 up to Hidan and Kakuzu arc is where the 3rd Databook stopped), you can see why Kiishi went the way of Toriyama, in terms of power level, and instead told the story he wanted to well.

But, as per usual, the detractors tried to claim I was wrong and that stats DO matter. However, they didn't rebut any of my claims or come up with explanations for why a number system would be abandoned by the writer.

What do you think?

BlazeRelease

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lees speed is a 5

Kaguya would also be a 5

See the problem? Kaguya is clearly much faster, but the "5" cap is too short, and if he was to make it 1-10 then all the previous listings would have to be changed to be more accurate, along with other stats.

In other words, to much work,

ninjarasengan

Veteran
Kin
3💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

What do you think?
Weren't stats a measure of a characters base form...and they were not for comparison between characters.