oShux

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I recently changed my major to computer science and I was wondering if anyone here knows any tips on how to understand it easier.

Jin

Supreme
Kin
2,211💸
Kumi
568💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I majored in Computer Engineering this year (last month). CE is generally "harder" than CS, but there isn't any big difference. So basically, programming will be the core of what you'll be studying.
Programming languages like Python, C, C++, Java, JS, PHP etc .
Well, I don't think there are any tips that could make you understand it easier, except the usual ones.
You should really be paying attention and try to understand the code when it is explained. Usually we were given the "solution logic" and had to write the code ourselves, which was a really good thing. First of all try to learn the syntax very well, it's really really important, especially in Java. Then understanding the question comes next, so, you'll probably have to read them loads of time.
Practice a lot, don't just read the book and leave it like that. Without working on it, you won't be able to achieve anything.
I don't really know what else to say, just that it needs some serious work to really get it. But if you do, it won't really bother you, except when there's critical thinking. (I hated that xd)
Anyway, I wish you good luck. Oh and if you have prior knowledge to anything related to programming, it will help you a lot.
Hope this helped.

Marin

Veteran
Kin
306💸
Kumi
2,001💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'm in Software Engineering but it comes close. My advice would be the usual:
- study from day one
- focus on the coding subjects the most

Tho it really depends on how good you are with math and others, but to me Programming is the no.1 priority.

Nagi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Master the Art of programming and you will be fine. Do a lot of programming and research outside of the class!

Iruka

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Usually we were given the "solution logic" and had to write the code ourselves, which was a really good thing.
Similar to this is pseudocode. You can jump between languages, changing syntax as needed, but the underlying logic is fairly consistent. A lot of people focus on mastering syntax. They fall into the trap of thinking that having more languages makes them a stronger coder when they would be better served to learn a single generic language very thoroughly along with the accompanying logic.

Practice a lot, don't just read the book and leave it like that. Without working on it, you won't be able to achieve anything.
Practice is key. Your goal isn't to memorise how the lecturer or textbook author solved a particular issue. Use their material to shape how you approach a problem but let your final solution be your own product. I've always felt that the best way to become comfortable in a language is to complete a project with it. It doesn't even need to be related to your course.

Reactions: Yatori

Tonybeeth

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
One thing that has helped me the most: never depend on class work to get better skills. If you depend on class work to get you anywhere you are already lost. Do lots of programming outside of class, do research, internships, online judge coding problems. I started these stuff and in one year I have become something else, a better programmer.

Illuminater

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Don't study, don't do your work. Drop out of college and work in an industry that will pay you more like McDonalds. Soon you will become a McDonald's Manager and you will be happy you never became a programmer.

Yatori

Immortal
Kin
134💸
Kumi
1,280💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
One tips - what you learn in school will only be used like 10% in jobs world lol.

So as many have said practice a lot and online research helps more on work. If you're doing good you will get better salaries. In country i live in Java programmer in high demands so they got the highest salary.

Pesh

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
1,280💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Similar to this is pseudocode. You can jump between languages, changing syntax as needed, but the underlying logic is fairly consistent. A lot of people focus on mastering syntax. They fall into the trap of thinking that having more languages makes them a stronger coder when they would be better served to learn a single generic language very thoroughly along with the accompanying logic.

Practice is key. Your goal isn't to memorise how the lecturer or textbook author solved a particular issue. Use their material to shape how you approach a problem but let your final solution be your own product. I've always felt that the best way to become comfortable in a language is to complete a project with it. It doesn't even need to be related to your course.
That mostly. Computer science is not coding, you need to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. You do need to learn the syntax as mentioned, but it comes with practice.

Study the theory and math, you'd need it in time. Being able to come up to a solution for a problem is much more important than being able to code it.

And don't be a **** and think that what you learn is useless. It's true that sometimes in the first years either the technology is a bit obsolete or it's very theoretical, but it's up to you to apply the knowledge you learn in a more practical way.

Anyway, computer science is fun, coding is fun, so I hope you like it and get the hang of it.