itsxtrayy

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The whole movie I kept thinking "are you going to apologize to your daughter for dropping her cake and missing her party? Naruto you terrible, terrible dad."

I have two major problems with the movie: Characters and Themes and they bleed into and affect each other

Themes:
Cheating/Not relying on your own power:
This is the main theme of the movie and it was wayyy too ham-fisted and because the villains were underdeveloped it rang false, I don't think Kishimoto has ever heard of the word subtlety. Boruto uses the ninja tool to cheat so guess what guys? Our villains are doing something similar and Naruto comments on it WHAT A COINCIDENCE. This is Kishimoto forcing a theme, and since the villains are one dimensional with barley any personality the thematic connection the movie tries to make between them and Boruto in the stadium rings hollow.

The Nature of Shinobi:
This is directly tied to Boruto's character arc, he proves that the nature of shinobi won't change when he discards the device. It's an ok theme that doesn't affect the story in a negative way so its fine.

Characters:

Sasuke: I like Sasuke, but he was spouting bullshit this whole movie. Boruto surpassing Naruto? Yeah... Right...
But my major problem is the campfire scene, he tells this kid whose estranged with his father that he doesn't need to understand the Naruto right now, but the Naruto of the past and how he got here. Am I the only person who sees the obvious flaw in this thinking? It's all fine and dandy if Boruto understand's and even appreciates Naruto's past, but that doesn't solve the problem of right now: Naruto not being around and being unable to forge a meaningful connection with his children. Naruto and Boruto can't even have a normal conversation in Boruto's room without it being awkward. You ****ed up Sasuke.

Naruto: I'm going to go with the assumption that Naruto's clones are running around the village all night/day for days on end with no rest, that's the only way the premise of this movie even begins to make sense. Naruto, the guy who had nothing but was able to forge connections not just between himself and others, but between villages and nations, can't forge any meaningful connection with either of his kids. I'll just come right out and say it: Kishimoto threw Naruto under the bus just to make another movie. Naruto literally talked about bonds the ENTIRE manga. He was a terrible parent in this movie and his most defining trait (creating bonds) suddenly he can't do it because he's too tired? The Naruto I know would be crawling on his hands and knees to spend time with his kids. As Sasuke said, Naruto can make over a thousand clones, they can do all the work while he spends time with his children. But if that happened, we wouldn't have a movie, it's a contrivance for the sake of plot. And that's why it's terrible.

Naruto has no character arc in this movie when I think he should of had one. By the end of the movie he needed to change into someone who balances his family with his duty to the village. But the movie want's us to come down on the side of Naruto and says that it's Boruto who needs to change, that's why he has the character arc. Instead of Naruto changing into someone who balances his responsibilities Boruto changes into someone who want's to learn about Naruto's past. If Boruto didn't want to talk about the past Naruto wouldn't have made any ground with him. Naruto does nothing on his own to try and mend his relationships, and he doesn't even apologize to his daughter for dropping her cake and missing her birthday.

Boruto: When he was first conceived everyone was shitting on him for two reason's: They thought he was going to be a Naruto clone and because it seemed like he was being a whiny brat for sketchy reason's. Now that the movie's come out I think people can better understand the kids complaints and realized they're justified. Boruto is fine in this movie, his personality is established and his character arc is handled adequately. It's nothing special and it's incredibly ham-fisted but he changes into someone who can appreciate his father. And that's where the problems start. Even if he can appreciate Naruto's past that doesn't mean he shouldn't be mad that his dad doesn't spend time with him. That part was poorly handled everything else was ok.

Overall:
Good for a Naruto movie, but if we hold it to normal standards, it's an average movie with a predictable plot, underdeveloped characters, and mishandled themes. The central conflict of the movie is that Naruto is too busy to spend time with his kids and this isn't resolved by the end of the movie. Naruto doesn't change. He say's he'll tell Boruto about his past, but then what? And what about his daughter? This was poorly handled. The fights and animation are good though 6/10

Reactions: Ambivalence

lndra

Supreme
Kin
15💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The whole movie I kept thinking "are you going to apologize to your daughter for dropping her cake and missing her party? Naruto you terrible, terrible dad."

I have two major problems with the movie: Characters and Themes and they bleed into and affect each other

Themes:
This is the main theme of the movie and it was wayyy too ham-fisted and because the villains were underdeveloped it rang false, I don't think Kishimoto has ever heard of the word subtlety. Boruto uses the ninja tool to cheat so guess what guys? Our villains are doing something similar and Naruto comments on it WHAT A COINCIDENCE. This is Kishimoto forcing a theme, and since the villains are one dimensional with barley any personality the thematic connection the movie tries to make between them and Boruto in the stadium rings hollow.

The Nature of Shinobi:
This is directly tied to Boruto's character arc, he proves that the nature of shinobi won't change when he discards the device. It's an ok theme that doesn't affect the story in a negative way so its fine.

Characters:

Sasuke: I like Sasuke, but he was spouting bullshit this whole movie. Boruto surpassing Naruto? Yeah... Right...
But my major problem is the campfire scene, he tells this kid whose estranged with his father that he doesn't need to understand the Naruto right now, but the Naruto of the past and how he got here. Am I the only person who sees the obvious flaw in this thinking? It's all fine and dandy if Boruto understand's and even appreciates Naruto's past, but that doesn't solve the problem of right now: Naruto not being around and being unable to forge a meaningful connection with his children. Naruto and Boruto can't even have a normal conversation in Boruto's room without it being awkward. You ****ed up Sasuke.

Naruto: I'm going to go with the assumption that Naruto's clones are running around the village all night/day for days on end with no rest, that's the only way the premise of this movie even begins to make sense. Naruto, the guy who had nothing but was able to forge connections not just between himself and others, but between villages and nations, can't forge any meaningful connection with either of his kids. I'll just come right out and say it: Kishimoto threw Naruto under the bus just to make another movie. Naruto literally talked about bonds the ENTIRE manga. He was a terrible parent in this movie and his most defining trait (creating bonds) suddenly he can't do it because he's too tired? The Naruto I know would be crawling on his hands and knees to spend time with his kids. As Sasuke said, Naruto can make over a thousand clones, they can do all the work while he spends time with his children. But if that happened, we wouldn't have a movie, it's a contrivance for the sake of plot. And that's why it's terrible.

Naruto has no character arc in this movie when I think he should of had one. By the end of the movie he needed to change into someone who balances his family with his duty to the village. But the movie want's us to come down on the side of Naruto and says that it's Boruto who needs to change, that's why he has the character arc. Instead of Naruto changing into someone who balances his responsibilities Boruto changes into someone who want's to learn about Naruto's past. If Boruto didn't want to talk about the past Naruto wouldn't have made any ground with him. Naruto does nothing on his own to try and mend his relationships, and he doesn't even apologize to his daughter for dropping her cake and missing her birthday.

Boruto: When he was first conceived everyone was shitting on him for two reason's: They thought he was going to be a Naruto clone and because it seemed like he was being a whiny brat for sketchy reason's. Now that the movie's come out I think people can better understand the kids complaints and realized they're justified. Boruto is fine in this movie, his personality is established and his character arc is handled adequately. It's nothing special and it's incredibly ham-fisted but he changes into someone who can appreciate his father. And that's where the problems start. Even if he can appreciate Naruto's past that doesn't mean he shouldn't be mad that his dad doesn't spend time with him. That part was poorly handled everything else was ok.

Overall:
Good for a Naruto movie, but if we hold it to normal standards, it's an average movie with a predictable plot, underdeveloped characters, and mishandled themes. The central conflict of the movie is that Naruto is too busy to spend time with his kids and this isn't resolved by the end of the movie. Naruto doesn't change. He say's he'll tell Boruto about his past, but then what? And what about his daughter? This was poorly handled. The fights and animation are good though 6/10
I agree with what you said, the conflict seemed to only be about Boruto and Naruto, when it was about the entire family. Though at the end it just implies everything is alright since Naruto is taking his time to be there for his family, and not to send clones to do it instead.

They just seemed like the average family by the end of the Movie, no 'drastic' change. Naruto did seem to learn his lesson though, even asking for a vacation day lol

The fact that we didn't see Naruto apologized was weird too. Figures that he couldn't because right after he got up from falling unconscious it looked like, Sasuke came in with news about Kaguya.

It isn't really brought up again, so it literally disappeared. Funny enough Naruto admitted that he had things to work on when it came to being a father, which is respectable.

Last edited:

SilverJay

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah I didn't like the fact that the movie shit on Naruto's dream of being Hokage. Naruto spent all his life trying to be the Hokage and then when he finally becomes one it ruins the relationship he has with his son? In the movie he's tired all the time and honestly seems pretty miserable. He doesn't seem like he can handle working as Hokage. Of course he's good at protecting the village and political stuff but it's sad that he was so tired he could barely send an e-mail. No more like it's BS he can barely send an e-mail. This is the same guy who is supposed to have insane stamina and perseverance.

Also at the end of the movie Naruto is shown being there in the morning with his family....so he does have time to spend with his family then? Even if it's not much simply being there in the mornings and nights should be enough to have some family bonding time. Why couldn't he give his son lectures then?? The same thing happened with Gaiden. Kishi just wanted to create pointless drama so he created stupid circumstances like these.

itsxtrayy

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree with what you said, the conflict seemed to only be about Boruto and Naruto, when it was about the entire family. Though at the end it just implies everything is alright since Naruto is taking his time to be there for his family, and not to send clones to do it instead.

They just seemed like the average family by the end of the Movie, no 'drastic' change. Naruto did seem to learn his lesson though, even asking for a vacation day lol

The fact that we didn't see Naruto apologized was weird too. Figures that he couldn't because right after he got up from falling unconscious it looked like, Sasuke came in with news about Kaguya.

It isn't really brought up again, so it literally disappeared. Funny enough Naruto admitted that he had things to work on when it came to being a father, which is respectable.
Yeah, If the movie did one thing really well it was establishing Boruto's character and making him flawed but sympathetic. I admit I was one of those people shitting on him in chapter 700, but his struggle is something I can relate to with my dad that's why Naruto not changing really bugged me at the end. Well, I do like Boruto as a character now so there's that.

itsxtrayy

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
A 6/10? That's the score of a review I've seen, but thanks for sharing all the same.

Agreed, especially with this sentence.
If i'm being completely honest, the movie falls apart entirely because the premise is so shaky. Naruto at 17 and with half Kurama could fight for a whole day. Now that he's an adult and his chakra has fully matured and he has whole kurama his stamina should be ridiculous. That's why I just made the assumption that thousands of clones must be running around all day and night for days straight doing everything for everybody. That's the only way I can justify the premise of this movie.

Lance171

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Themes:

The Nature of Shinobi:

Characters:

Overall:
whos a worse father?
Goku
sasuke
naruto
micheal jackson

Mikasa Hagaromo

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Themes:

Agree.

The Nature of Shinobi:

Agree

Characters:

Disagree--- Naruto's inability to balance fatherhood and work is based on his past. He doesn't know what work/life balance is. Did you see the scene where he looked up at his dad's pic and asked him what he should do? He doesn't know how to handle conflict with a maturing, rebellious son. His past has a lot to do with that. And Sasuke is right that to understand Naruto and truly understand who he is as a man, Boruto absolutely needs to understand the man he once was. And Naruto does have a meaningful bond with his kids. It's clear, based on the family pics, that they were close prior to him becoming hokage. He just doesn't know how to balance things.

Yea, I agree the busy Naruto stuff was stictly for plot....either that or Naruto is just a bad manager and has fallen into his old habit of trying to do everything by himself....I guess he has never heard the word, "delegate"....

....I disagree that he had no character arc.....he went from being completely neglectful, to Shikamaru updating him on Boruto and him reaching out via email to visiting him at home to give him a pep talk to him bc he realized "it's important...very important" to do so to actually being home with the family for the first time in the movie.....I think the last scene in the movie signals he now makes an effort to be home more often....and he did apologize to Boruto for how things were in the other dimension.....not sure why they'd waste movie time showing an apology to Himawari, but yea....I guess I wouldn't mind if they included it.....what's new with this series though?! You know no one ever really apologizes for anything or suffer any real consequences of their actions.

Disagree....Boruto matured and came to understand the huge burden his father carries.....he though all Naruto did was sit behind a desk and act bossy....now he realized the hokage is the one who puts his life on the line for the village....how could he stay mad at him and not come to respect and appreciate him after witnessing the sacrifice Naruto made? Also--again--I interpet the last scene as Naruto making an effort to be home more often....that end scene was the first time we saw the entire family just chillin together.

Overall:
I disagree with most of what you said. Responses above in red.

Last edited: