fiend

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It has good art but is generic, premise makes it a bit unique but it is the same old repetitive shonen formula with naruto-esque MC, which in no way bad but to put it bluntly is a bit monotonous and generic but it would be unfair to pass any judgement as it's too early and the author as the series progresses may improve as due to the cool premise it can be wonderful.

I just read it. It's pretty cool and I'm considering writing a review about it. It feels like a crossover between Mx0 and One Punch Man.
It's a bit weird you are comparing it to OPM, even though both have super heroes the are completely different, OPM is vastly superior in every aspect story, characters, setting and OPM has one of the most refreshing MC in a while, Saitama is unique. One's story is solid and humor excellent and Murata's art godly. OPM is one of the best gag comedy manga today while Boku no hero academia is generic.

Though it is more closer to Mx0.

Only thing I can compare it to is the movie Sky-high, which had the same premise and almost same story.

Last edited:

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I like it cause it reminds me of Naruto
Probably because the mangaka said he was a big fan of Naruto. xD

OT: It seems alright. I'm already enjoying the series I'm currently reading weekly atm, (i.e. One Piece & Toriko) so I don't see myself reading any new ongoing series for now. I am waiting on HxH to come back eventually.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It has good art but is generic, premise makes it a bit unique but it is the same old repetitive shonen formula with naruto-esque MC, which in no way bad but to put it bluntly is a bit monotonous and generic but it would be unfair to pass any judgement as it's too early and the author as the series progresses may improve as due to the cool premise it can be wonderful.

It's a bit weird you are comparing it to OPM, even though both have super heroes the are completely different, OPM is vastly superior in every aspect story, characters, setting and OPM has one of the most refreshing MC in a while, Saitama is unique. One's story is solid and humor excellent and Murata's art godly. OPM is one of the best gag comedy manga today while Boku no hero academia is generic.

Though it is more closer to Mx0.

Only thing I can compare it to is the movie Sky-high, which had the same premise and almost same story.
There is nothing weird about it. Did I say that Hero Academy is a copy or a rip-off of OPM? No I didn't. I said it felt like a crossover between two series, namely Mx0 and OPM. That by default means I didn't say nor imply that it's copying OPM.

OPM makes a complete mockery out of all the aspects of the entire 'hero' concept and pushes this to the absolute limits. Hero Academy doesn't go that far, but it remains a fact that it's also following that exact same most archetypical and cliché view of the hero concept. They are explicitly talking about heroes and villains, like that they are perfectly separated. They talk about having side-kicks, they wear ridiculous cartoonish outfits etc. You could easily make a manga following the exact same plot, however being dead serious about it and leave all of that behind.

So yeah in that regard OPM and Hero Academy are similar. You could even swap some of the characters of both series with each other and they would perfectly fit. Fairy Tail, One Piece, Naruto and Dragonball are all also very similar, but they are still very well different series. It's the exact same thing here, so I really don't get why you find it weird that I say they share some similarities, which they clearly do, and then go on about how 'superior' OPM is over Hero Academy despite me having said nothing nor implied anything at all about which series of the two would be better, which btw I leave out in the open as it's something very subjective and personal and I don't want to go there as I have no interest in such a discussion.

fiend

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There is nothing weird about it. Did I say that Hero Academy is a copy or a rip-off of OPM? No I didn't. I said it felt like a crossover between two series, namely Mx0 and OPM. That by default means I didn't say nor imply that it's copying OPM.

OPM makes a complete mockery out of all the aspects of the entire 'hero' concept and pushes this to the absolute limits. Hero Academy doesn't go that far, but it remains a fact that it's also following that exact same most archetypical and cliché view of the hero concept. They are explicitly talking about heroes and villains, like that they are perfectly separated. They talk about having side-kicks, they wear ridiculous cartoonish outfits etc. You could easily make a manga following the exact same plot, however being dead serious about it and leave all of that behind.

So yeah in that regard OPM and Hero Academy are similar. You could even swap some of the characters of both series with each other and they would perfectly fit. Fairy Tail, One Piece, Naruto and Dragonball are all also very similar, but they are still very well different series. It's the exact same thing here, so I really don't get why you find it weird that I say they share some similarities, which they clearly do, and then go on about how 'superior' OPM is over Hero Academy despite me having said nothing nor implied anything at all about which series of the two would be better, which btw I leave out in the open as it's something very subjective and personal and I don't want to go there as I have no interest in such a discussion.

Oh, I know you weren't saying that they were copying OPM, it's just that OPM is a gag manga which explicitly pokes fun at all shonen stereotypes and Boku no hero academia is a by the book shonen, completely traditional so their comparison felt weird to me, it's more in the vein of Naruto, DBZ rather than OPM, that's why I gave example of sky-high.

And I too wasn't saying manga A is better than B, I just got carried away with OPM praise which I regret.

What I meant was though setting of both manga may be same but they are polar opposites in what they are trying to achieve as a manga, so that comparison felt a little off to me.