Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Couldn't they have used a different translation than <Wizard King>? ~_~
If you ever tried to read a manga in Japanese then you probably noticed those smaller characters placed next to kanji. Those characters (either hiragana or katakana) are called furigana and they are basically a reading aid in cases when a single kanji has more than one readings.

Now, this is furigana that author used for the word 魔法帝= (魔法) まほう (romaji ma ho u) + (帝)てい (romaji te i).
Mahou (魔法) can be translated as magic or sorcery but I heard few times in anime that mahou is used with meaning wizard/magician so I think that both options are possible, tho in my opinion, magic/ sorcery is more correct because of the kana. I could be wrong tho.
This kanji 帝, tho, with that furigana てい (tei) can be translated as sovereign/ king. If furigana for this kanji was this みかど then the translation would be emperor, but it isn't so I'd say better translation is actually king or sovereign.

So to answer your question, yes, they probably could but I think that the translator opted for a better version in terms of meaning and not in terms of aesthetic.

is it long running? or seasonal?
It will run for 13 episodes for now, as far as I know.

123fire

Supreme
Kin
20💸
Kumi
-33💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If you ever tried to read a manga in Japanese then you probably noticed those smaller characters placed next to kanji. Those characters (either hiragana or katakana) are called furigana and they are basically a reading aid in cases when a single kanji has more than one readings.

Now, this is furigana that author used for the word 魔法帝= (魔法) まほう (romaji ma ho u) + (帝)てい (romaji te i).
Mahou (魔法) can be translated as magic or sorcery but I heard few times in anime that mahou is used with meaning wizard/magician so I think that both options are possible, tho in my opinion, magic/ sorcery is more correct because of the kana. I could be wrong tho.
This kanji 帝, tho, with that furigana てい (tei) can be translated as sovereign/ king. If furigana for this kanji was this みかど then the translation would be emperor, but it isn't so I'd say better translation is actually king or sovereign.

So to answer your question, yes, they probably could but I think that the translator opted for a better version in terms of meaning and not in terms of aesthetic.

then it's seasonal it's not like naruto and boruto

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.
Doesn't matter that much even though it follows some similar tropes. I started reading it as another writer's take on Naruto. A reboot or remake of another classic series still get their audience otherwise there won't be three versions of Spider-man story in last 15 years itself. That said the story is not exactly the same though it follows some of the similar formula.

It's unfortunate that BC gets this much hate for no fault of Tabata who probably is simply tying to stay in the market. His last manga had quite a unique concept. It was cancelled and thus rushed to ending somehow. But his drawing is good and BC has it's own flavour if people do not get hung up over similarities of shonnen manga tropes. Cliches exist for a reason. Naruto like series have their market because of their entertainment value and anime industry are running a business. They want safe investments to remain in the business. If that works then only they can afford some of those edgy or experimental stuff now and then.

Last edited:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I don't know much about the semantics of logographic languages, but it's not really important as in the manga they have either translated it as "Magic Emperor" or "Sorcery Emperor". I think I haven't even seen the word "wizard" being used a single time during the course of the series. So it's kinda annoying that they then start using a translation that really doesn't fit the story.

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't know much about the semantics of logographic languages, but it's not really important as in the manga they have either translated it as "Magic Emperor" or "Sorcery Emperor". I think I haven't even seen the word "wizard" being used a single time during the course of the series. So it's kinda annoying that they then start using a translation that really doesn't fit the story.
But Viz always used translation Wizard King, isn't it?
When it comes to the translation of words like this a lot of things need to be taken in consideration. So, at the end of the day, if that translation doesn't fit story in any way they will change it for sure.