Author(s): Nagomu Torii

Artist(s): Tomoyo Kamoi

Genre(s): Slice of Life, Supernatural, Action, Fantasy, Comedy

Current Status: Hiatus/Completed

Moment of Reviewing: Episode 12

Other Formats: Light Novel

You must be registered for see images

Series Summary:

Have you ever wanted to be supernatural? Think about this, If you were supernatural and had no control over yourself, what would happen to the people around you?, Will they shun you for who you are? Or will they become comrades because of who you are?. Kyoukai no Kanata (Beyond the Boundary) is a dark fantasy about a boy named Akihito Kanbara who is a half human and half Yommu, and a girl named Mirai Kuriyama who has the ability to bend blood into a weapon, This is a series that shows their strengths and struggles and how they would overcome it.

Critical Review:

Let me start off by saying this, I'm not into many "supernatural" genres, but this is one that caught my eye. The animation is beautiful, the plot is very deep, and the action that goes with it is amazing, This is a series that can make you laugh, but can also make you cry. Kyoukai no Kanata really hits the Supernatural, Slice of Life and Fantasy genre very well, and the plot is very well developed leaving you wanting to see what happens next. Without a further ado, lets get into the pros and cons. I like the plot the most, it is very well developed..But there are some moments that are sometimes forgotten, In the trailer there is a part that was shown that we never got to see in the actual anime, Though it was a little disappointing it was probably just a trial and error animation scene. The animation is beautiful, though I sometimes feel that the animation in this isn't fit for an anime like this, especially during the battle scenes. The action is phenomenal; though the animation takes it away a tiny bit, the plot really sinks deep into the battle scenes, leaving you wanting to see what happens next. I also love the character development, the characters start off with fears but as the series goes on they start to overcome them, this series displays character development very well. There are some parts in the series I hope are clarified like where Fujima went during the Beyond the Boundary incident or the truth behind Akihito becoming a half-yommu, the series really leaves some stuff behind but they are probably in preparation for a second season. The villains are also different from the usual villains we see everyday, despite our boy protagonist being a Yommu; other Spirit World Warriors fight Yommu's for money or such, it's a very original concept compared to fighting villains or antagonists. Overall, If you like a supernatural, fantasy and slice of life dark fantasy, then you will probably like or love this anime. This series will make you laugh and cry, but it also teaches you a valuable lesson.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Last edited:
Reactions: November

Kurome

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

Yea it was a nice Anime but what can they do in the next season.
The girl is death isn't she ?

No, Mirai returned. It's like the time has gotten back where they first met eachother :yay:

As to what they can do in the next season, we have izumi and the other guy being youmu, yayoi kanbara saying "to be continued"...there are many things they could relate on U_U

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No, Mirai returned. It's like the time has gotten back where they first met eachother :yay:

As to what they can do in the next season, we have izumi and the other guy being youmu, yayoi kanbara saying "to be continued"...there are many things they could relate on U_U
The ending was satisfying, but I can't stand knowing that it ended :noes:.

Chīkara

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Ah forgot about Izumi being a youmu this
is some good material to continue the plot.

there is a possibility !

November

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
nice review !!!
I love everything in the show ;especially, megane fetish xD (megane = glasses)
I wish the season 2 came next year.

Last edited:

Totsuka No Tsurugi

Legendary
Kin
53💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Watching Kyoukai no Kanata is like riding a train but as it moves, it goes down spiral, into the abyss, and finally reaches train wreck at the shadow of the pit,

Kyouka no Kanata didn't go beyond the boundary. It didn't hit anywhere near home because of its poor writing and construction. There are back stories and reasoning revealed later on but to save them near its ending phases and makes viewers to wait patiently doesn't cut out right,

Overall though, this series didn’t meet the expectations I had in mind. The initial premise had potential. Unfortunately, the characters becomes a major problem with their lack of characterization, interactions, and personalities. Most of the plot/arc hardly makes any sense especially with their resolutions. This doesn’t help by the fact that there is a improper timing with comedic scenes or dialogues. Instead, the dialogues usually falls apart with odd conversations such as involving the male characters’ fetishes. The technical aspect of this show is decent in terms of production especially with its powerful visuals courtesy of Kyoto Animation. The action scenes also makes up a decent base for shounen like battles with touches of dark fantasy. However, this doesn’t excuse the ultimatum of the show being mediocre.

As Mirai would write in her blog that she often gets flamed for, I would also say that Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary is best concluded with “how unpleasant”.