Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
[video=youtube;P3YR-RKrL1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3YR-RKrL1g[/video]

Since I Left You by the Avalanches is a critically acclaimed album that is created entirely out of samples. The title track is one of my favorite songs ever. Some more well known sample-based albums with critical acclaim include:

Donuts - J Dilla
Endtroducing - DJ Shadow
Modal Soul - Nujabes

Its funny hearing people complain about the authenticty of music these days when there's plenty of good stuff out there.

Forest

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
When it comes to this genre, ^^ those are the G.O.A.T.s and some of my personal favorites.
These are not so much critically acclaimed, but just some I have really enjoyed:

MF Doom- Special herbs Vol 1-9
flying lotus - 1983, cosmogramma, Until the quiet comes
DR who Dat - Beat journey
Madlib -Shades of Blue, Beat Konducta: Vol 5-6 A tribute to dilla
Knxwledge- Hud Dreems, Hexual sealings (all vols), Krapes, skrawberries, flowrs.
Mndsgn - No maps, Surface Outakes, Yawn Zen

Kona Triangle - Sing a new sapling into existence
El Guincho- Pop Negro
Four Tet - Rounds, Everything Ecstatic, There Is Love in You
animal Collective- Feels, sung tong, strawberry jam, Danse manatee
Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Aphex Twin - Syro, Richard D. James Album, druqks, I care
Bonobo- Animal Magic, Dial M For Monkey

Metro zu - Cyborg 66, Moons of Telesto, OG poshdog
Lofty305- eat your greens
Ahnnu- Couch
Sporting Life- 700 Fill
Saint Pepsi- Hit vibes, Empire building
Macross 82-99- A million Miles away, Sailorwave
コンシャスTHOUGHTS- Vacation

No matter their criticism, the people that make those claims don't grasp or understand how technology has vastly expanded the capacity and possibilities for contemporary music production. And sampling is one of the most versatile features any musician can incorporate into their work. It's been done since forever, not necessarily electronically, but, one way or another every genre traces it's evolutionary path through some sort of emulation and modification of another sound.
Also I'd say in 99% of the cases, most of those people complaining about the authenticity of music couldn't produce a piece of music anywhere close to what the people they are trying to criticize are able to create. I may be a bit biased when it comes to that stance because I sample music, but most people that complain are just yappin' just for the sake of doing so lol. I know what u mean tho....

^ my favorite sample based musician atm, a beat maker from Germany!

Last edited:

Fresco

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Dilla, Shadow and Nujabes...
Nice namedropping.
They're the ones people should listen to when entering the genre
When it comes to this genre, ^^ those are the G.O.A.T.s and some of my personal favorites.
These are not so much critically acclaimed, but just some I have really enjoyed:

MF Doom- Special herbs Vol 1-9
flying lotus - 1983, cosmogramma, Until the quiet comes
DR who Dat - Beat journey
Madlib -Shades of Blue, Beat Konducta: Vol 5-6 A tribute to dilla
Knxwledge- Hud Dreems, Hexual sealings (all vols), Krapes, skrawberries, flowrs.
Mndsgn - No maps, Surface Outakes, Yawn Zen

Kona Triangle - Sing a new sapling into existence
El Guincho- Pop Negro
Four Tet - Rounds, Everything Ecstatic, There Is Love in You
animal Collective- Feels, sung tong, strawberry jam, Danse manatee
Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Aphex Twin - Syro, Richard D. James Album, druqks, I care
Bonobo- Animal Magic, Dial M For Monkey

Metro zu - Cyborg 66, Moons of Telesto, OG poshdog
Lofty305- eat your greens
Ahnnu- Couch
Sporting Life- 700 Fill
Saint Pepsi- Hit vibes, Empire building
Macross 82-99- A million Miles away, Sailorwave
コンシャスTHOUGHTS- Vacation

No matter their criticism, the people that make those claims don't grasp or understand how technology has vastly expanded the capacity and possibilities for contemporary music production. And sampling is one of the most versatile features any musician can incorporate into their work. It's been done since forever, not necessarily electronically, but, one way or another every genre traces it's evolutionary path through some sort of emulation and modification of another sound.
Also I'd say in 99% of the cases, most of those people complaining about the authenticity of music couldn't produce a piece of music anywhere close to what the people they are trying to criticize are able to create. I may be a bit biased when it comes to that stance because I sample music, but most people that complain are just yappin' just for the sake of doing so lol. I know what u mean tho....

^ my favorite sample based musician atm, a beat maker from Germany!
Good list, though admittedly, I haven't heard of a great deal of them. I like Neon Indian, Madlib, MF Doom, and Animal Collective. Animal Collective is like the premier indie band, though. MPP and Strawberry Jam are already considered classics.

Forest

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
They're the ones people should listen to when entering the genre
Good list, though admittedly, I haven't heard of a great deal of them. I like Neon Indian, Madlib, MF Doom, and Animal Collective. Animal Collective is like the premier indie band, though. MPP and Strawberry Jam are already considered classics.
thanks :) Yeah I threw a lot on there, but they are all groovy stuff. I'd say def check out knxwledge and mndsgn as they are like the modern Dilla and nujabes, if I could go the stretch to make such a comparison. xD

And most def they are classics, I had to throw them on their cause I love how they sample. I bought my first sampler partly cause of em, Dilla actually used it too for Donuts.

Last edited: