Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So, in a couple of threads in the Versus Colosseum, the question of how fast Ay can actually move has come up, because knowing his blitz speed is important for matchups at certain distances. We know Ay is fast, one of the fastest shinobi alive, but within exactly what range can we place his speed?

I decided to try and calculate this based on Minato's reaction speed, which is generally considered second only to Naruto's. This is because his encounter with Minato places them at an identifiable and measurable distance. Furthermore, since Minato's reaction speed is generally considered to be one of the highest in the manga, his match with Ay during the Third Shinobi War is probably the best way we can compare Ay's speed to something we can actually put a number on. Finally, FTG is an instantaneous jutsu, so we don't have to account for how long his reaction jutsu would have taken to avoid Ay (whereas with characters like Naruto, punches and blocks and such take time that we can't really estimate).

We know that Minato reacted to Ay's top speed:

You must be registered for see images

I want to find the average speed of Ay's top speed.

Average speed = distance / time. So let's start with finding the distance Ay had to cover.

Here's this approximated distance between Ay and Minato during their encounter.

The red line is based on Ay's height (1.98 m). Using Ay's height to to estimate the initial distance between Minato and Ay, we get an approximate distance of 15.6 m.

The blue line is based on Ay's foot length (assumed to be around 1 ft, or .304 m, the average length of the foot of a man greater than 6 ft.). Using Ay's foot length to estimate the initial distance between Minato and Ay, we get an approximate distance of 13.34 m.

Therefore, although the conventions of drawing limit the real portrayal of distance, it's fair to say this panel is proportionally drawn, since the distances are pretty close. To keep things as realistic as possible, I averaged the two distances together, for an average distance of 14.47 m.

This means, that at top speed, Ay traveled a distance of 14.47 m in...how much time?

This is where I have to fudge the numbers a bit. I am going to assume that Minato's reflexes are borderline perfect.

For the majority of the distance that Ay traveled, Minato was unable to react:

He reacts literally at the last possible moment:

We can assume that Minato would have reacted as soon as his brain registered that Ay was attacking.

So we can say:

The time it took Ay to travel 14.47 m = the time it took Minato to process Ay's movement + the time it took Minato to react.

Since FTG is instantaneous, we don't have to worry about how long it took for FTG to activate.

Let's try to be moderately realistic here, and assume that Minato's brain operates like the best possible human's would.

With these defined limits, the total time it took Ay to travel to Minato is 0.1023 sec.

So Ay traveled 14.47 m in 0.10123 sec.

This puts his top speed at:

14.47 m / 0.10123 sec = 142.9418 m/sec.

Ay's top speed is therefore around...

143 m/sec.

Based on what some people have assumed, this is a pretty reasonable estimate for Ay's top speed.

Granted, this is a shounen manga, and we're probably not supposed to look too deep into this. However, this kind of mangafact analysis helps us to compare characters' feats and put set limits on what characters can actually do. So we can say that in any matchup of less than 100 m, Ay will probably be able to blitz his opponents. We can also get a better grasp of how fast Naruto and Minato were. While you shouldn't take this thread too literally, this kind of calculation does serve a purpose.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You really think mangakas factor in calculations when they draw their manga? Unless specifically stated they simply draw to illustrate the story.
A) This is for fun.

B) Like I said in the OP, you shouldn't take the thread too literally; it's just to help for comparing the feats of different characters. "Ay is super fast" isn't really helpful for people. Some people might find this information useful for versus threads, fanfics, wanking Naruto and Sauce, whatever.

C) Like I said in the OP, the proportions of the panels are consistent, and this number is actually pretty close to what some people assumed (people generally found ~100 m/s to be believable). Now they can say they have mangafacts to back it up.

Netflix and Chill

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
A) This is for fun.

B) Like I said in the OP, you shouldn't take the thread too literally; it's just to help for comparing the feats of different characters. "Ay is super fast" isn't really helpful for people. Some people might find this information useful for versus threads, fanfics, wanking Naruto and Sauce, whatever.

C) Like I said in the OP, the proportions of the panels are consistent, and this number is actually pretty close to what some people assumed (people generally found ~100 m/s to be believable). Now they can say they have mangafacts to back it up.
Ahh I see

Waltz

Elite
Kin
46💸
Kumi
18💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hmm...

Honestly did you thoroughly think this through or did you try to flush out the premise with the supporting content?

Bimbonium

Elite
Kin
7💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Manga scaling isn't reliable tbh, not to mention the assumptions based on the fact that they're humans when Naruto dodged light from point blank range once, but it's nicely done nonetheless and I got to learn that the fastest recorded reaction time is 0.101sec

Last edited:

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hmm...

Honestly did you thoroughly think this through or did you try to flush out the premise with the supporting content?
I don't know what you mean.

Honestly, I expected him to be slower than the outcome.

As far as the method goes, when it comes to calculating speed of manga characters, the only ways we can do it are by comparing their speed to something else moving at a known speed (ex: Character intercepting a falling object from a known distance), or the way I did in this thread, with some assumptions and math. If you can think of a better way to calculate speeds, by all means, share.

Seventh Sama

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
NB really isn't a good place to post calcs, but this has to be wrong. Ay isn't slower than sound considering that CM lvl 1 Sasuke dodged a sound wave back in part 1.

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
NB really isn't a good place to post calcs, but this has to be wrong. Ay isn't slower than sound considering that CM lvl 1 Sasuke dodged a sound wave back in part 1.
Yeah, I acknowledge that feats like this exist, but those kinds of feats are just insane because really if Sasuke can move that fast, he should be blitzing everyone and never getting hit by anything.

Anyway, like I said, this thread is for a certain type of reader/NB member who's looking for tangible numbers as opposed to "very fast."

Interesting can you do one for Hebi Sauce?
I might consider trying at some point, but for the reason above, it probably wouldn't be useful :(

Dantee

Kin
0💸
Kumi
343💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah, I acknowledge that feats like this exist, but those kinds of feats are just insane because really if Sasuke can move that fast, he should be blitzing everyone and never getting hit by anything.

I might consider trying at some point, but for the reason above, it probably wouldn't be useful :(
Lol thats insane bro. But great thread nonetheless

Seventh Sama

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Well, it's not that inconsistent. I mean Ay looks like a bolt of lightning in that scan you posted. But Aye, at least you put effort into your thread unlike others.
Oh yeah, here's that scan. It's supersonic, oh jeez.

Last edited:
Reactions: Claymantan

Waltz

Elite
Kin
46💸
Kumi
18💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't know what you mean.

Honestly, I expected him to be slower than the outcome.

As far as the method goes, when it comes to calculating speed of manga characters, the only ways we can do it are by comparing their speed to something else moving at a known speed (ex: Character intercepting a falling object from a known distance), or the way I did in this thread, with some assumptions and math. If you can think of a better way to calculate speeds, by all means, share.
The premise of this thread is the assumption that Minato did not intentionally react before the very last moment. If the Human brain can process images as quickly as 0.0013s that's still under the time it would take Ay's nerve impulses for muscle position to complete their journey as well as for him to travel to Minato.

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The premise of this thread is the assumption that Minato did not intentionally react before the very last moment. If the Human brain can process images as quickly as 0.0013s that's still under the time it would take Ay's nerve impulses for muscle position to complete their journey as well as for him to travel to Minato.
Oh, so you're saying Minato could have waited to see what Ay was actually doing before reacting? Well, he threw out his kunai before this happened, so he was planning to dodge and counter regardless. I don't see what waiting, considering that Ay is insanely fast regardless of the number we put on it, would have done for Minato's strategy. It makes the difference of milliseconds at the most, and the result is that Ay is a bit slower than my calculation at worst.

His facial expression makes me think this was his fastest reaction, though.

NarutoX28

Elite
Kin
8💸
Kumi
6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was slightly on-board until you compared Minato to the limitations of the human brain.

These are beings who can utter multiple sentences before beings moving at at least 100 m/s can even move a centimeter. It's clear their brains process things at unbelievably high speeds. Still, an interesting observation nonetheless.