0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You must be registered for see images

General Info

Series Name: Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Year of Serialization: February 21, 2005 - July 19, 2008

Author(s): Created by
Michael Dante DiMartino
Bryan Konietzko

Artist(s): Review is for the Cartoon and not the comic

Genre(s):
Action/Adventure
Fantasy/Steampunk

Comedy-drama​

Current Status: Completed

Moment of Reviewing: Episode 61 (Entire Series)

Other Formats: The Legend of Aang has been continued through comics

Series Summary:

The series takes place in a fictional universe with four great nations: Fire Nation, Water Tribe, Air Nomads, and the Earth Kingdom. The four nations lived in harmony, but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. The avatar, who can master all four elements, can restore balance to the world, however, when the world needed him most, he vanished for 100 years.

The story follows the adventures of Aang who is accidentally discovered by Katara and Sokka. Aang is an Airbender, the last of his kind. He needs to master the 3 remaining elements of Water, Earth, Fire. The series is split up in to 3 books. Book 1 is Water, Book 2 is Earth and the last Book is Fire. Each "Book" or season, you follow Aang and his gang on his journey to master the elements, jam packed with action, comedy and adventure.

Critical Review (Book 1):

A long time ago, maybe a few years back, my neighbor told me I should watch this series called Avatar. So I began to watch it and I was hooked on to it immediately. I am a sucker for series with involving "super-powers" since I actually wish I had them...I mean, who does not want to breathe fire?
Aang is a 12 year old boy, who is technically 112. Just like Ash Ketchum who doesn't seem to age and Bart Simpson, Aang remained physically the same as he was 100 years prior to the 1st episode. So to start things off, we have a 112 year old boy who looks 12.

Aang who still needs to learn the elements decides to go on an adventure with Katara (Who is a Water Bender) and Sokka (Who is a...weapons expert and a strong warrior). When I refer to a bender, such as Water Bender, please do not get that mixed up with the British slang of the word..."Bender."

Book 1 consists of 20 episodes, these show us the many adventures that the trio (Aang-Katara-Sokka) go on to find Aang a Water Bending master. In book one you learn about Aang's past, you meet new characters such as Suki, Jet Zuko. Book 1 is filled with adventure and is more focused on the building and revealing of the characters (Giving histories of everyone).

A character which stands out is Zuko, the angry prince of the evil Fire Nation...

Zuko, a Fire Bender, who is on a hunt to redeem his honor by capturing the long lost Avatar. He believes it is his destiny, and will stop at nothing to capture the Avatar. I mean, no one can forget the friendly face of Zuko!

Along the gang's way to the Northern Water Tribe, the gang protect a lot of people, fight a lot of bandits, run in to Zuko a lot, and most of all, hear a lot of Sokka's jokes and witty comments all the way from episode 1. If you don't have a sense of humor, you will still laugh at Sokka and his group names and Boomerang skills.

Finally reaching the Northern Water tribe, epic fights, epic music, epic humor just rolls out as the climax of Book 1 is just exactly what a climax should be...awesome.

Critical Review (Book 2):

Book 2 takes place after Aang's mastery over the Water element, thanks to his teacher...Katara. Now the gang, which consists of: Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Momo...and of course Appa, the 10-ton flying bison, heads towards the Earth Kingdom.

This season consists of 20 episodes which includes Aang trying to master the Avatar state, being introduced to Zuko's 14-year old sister, and amazing plot twists and character developments!

During their adventures, Aang and the gang is introduced to a new threat: Azula. Who is Zuko's sister and now pursuing in finding the Avatar. Azula is a Fire Bending prodigy and is seen to be cunning and manipulative.

Aang and the gang struggle with Earth Kingdom politics and learn various things that may aid them against the Fire Nation, however a lot of obstacles lie in there path.

Mako Iwamatsu, the voice actor of Zuko's uncle Iroh, passed away from eso****eal cancer.

The episode "Tales of Ba Sing Se" the tale of Iroh was dedicated to Mako, as well as one of the characters in the sequel "The Legend of Korra" was named after Mako.

Book 2 has a lot of depth to the overall plot, revealing a lot of Zuko's family and his struggles to cope with decisions he has to make. It also shows the life of non-benders living in the Earth Kingdom which was really interesting. The season has really dynamic plot twists and made me watch the next episode even if it was 2:00 AM and I had school later that day. The season ends in a great final episode and makes you want to start Book 3 straight away.

Critical Review (Book 3):

Personally my favourite season for many reason. Book 3 consists of 17 episodes, and ending off with a special episode which consists of 4 parts (Episode 18-22).

After the ending of Book 2, we were all left wondering what would happen next as the plot was really heated up. Book 3 is the summation of the 2 previous books and is the climax of the series. Aang having mastered Earth and Water now needs to find a Fire Bending teacher, but struggles to do so since...the Fire Nation wants to capture him. Yet the gang infiltrates the Fire Nation and blends in. With a new creepy guy attacking and following them who Sokka dons "Sparky Sparky Boom Man."

In Season 3, the gang try to take down Ozai, the current Fire Lord and Zuko's father. Various dilemmas and problems pop up for the gang and Aang still struggles to find a Fire Bending teacher. It was very interesting and slightly predictable who Aang's teacher would be, but it was really interesting on HOW his teacher would become...the teacher.

The ending of the season, and the cartoon series was stunning. The 4-part episode had everything it needed to be given a 10 on the epic meter. It had the most awesome music, the fight scenes were insane, and the ending of the fights were a classic and one to remember. I watched the ending so many times I have lost count!

Book 3 is the closing of all the amazing plot twists thrown at us during the series and any unsolved mysteries clicked in well. The season still had adventures and some cool fight scenes and interesting discoveries and an epic ending.

Critical Review (Conclusion):

So in conclusion:

Is this a series to watch? YES!
Is it jam packed with awesomeness? YES!
Is it comical? YES!

I highly recommend you to watch Avatar: The Legend of Aang. It has a great balance of action and story. Amazing plot twists, great character developments, brilliant humor. You can even watch the series multiple times! If you like elemental abilities, fluent fighting and martial arts, this is defiantly for you. Even if you don't like those things, this is still a series for you...and even better, it sounds cool in English!

Last edited by a moderator: