April 6, 2013

Author(s): Hajime Isayama

Artist(s): Saki Nakagawa

Genre(s): Dark fantasy, Dystopian, Tragedy

Current Status: Ongoing

Moment of Reviewing: Episode 25

Other Formats: Light novel and Manga

Series Summary:
This series in short, is basic. Its about the human race practically pushed to its limit of extinction due to the mysterious but all so frightening Titans. The human race has been pushed to such limits where now they live inside countless walls which each protecting different districts. What do this titans do? Well you guessed it, they eat and kill humans. A young boy though named Eren Jaeger vows he will kill every single titan on the planet after a Colossal titan shows up and destroys outermost wall is breached, as well as a armored titan which shows up and helps break the wall down to allow countless titans to show up devouring and killing so many people. This includes Eren's mother who was literally devoured with Eren watching everything by a titan. That small moment, but a moment which ends up churning your stomach and almost gag in watching the very scene, is when Eren vows he will kill every single titan. Did I forget to mention this all happened when he was just a young boy? Alone with his close friend Armin Arlert and his adopted (Not related) sister Mikasa Ackerman who remains by Eren's side through out. This series run through Eren and his journey along with his loyal friends.​
You must be registered for see images
Critical Review:
Okay so many of you guys might be wondering, well why am I reviewing such a series, especially being its been such a long time since my last review. Well the here is the thing. I thought to myself if I was to make a come back into reviewing it would have to be me reviewing one of the most highly proclaimed and respected series at this very day and age in the entire anime business.
Now let me explain this series as basic as I can in one sentence. Its about the human race fighting against a force strong enough to wipe its existence. Yeah that is what it's about and quite frankly that is very generic when you first look at it, I have seen many similar anime with the very same concept as well as purpose. So why is this series getting so hyped? Why is it people can not stop talking about it? Why is it just destroying in sales and in under a year has reached the same numbers One Piece has been working on for more then 10 years? I will explain; its all because they take a generic purpose and completely turn it on its head and slap the living day lights out of other anime concepts similar. What have we seen in other anime like this one? Every thing ends with what we expect. The main character winning the battle and no one gets hurt. We have gotten used to that concept to a extreme degree. This anime in short does not have that same "Believe it!" or "We will win!" attitude, no. Attack on Titan has death, it has pure drama and disort that just watching it makes me go crazy, at this moment as I'm writing this sentence out I have goosebumps just thinking about it. Just to put me in the mood I am listening the a Attack on Titan theme, which might I add Attack on Titan probably has some of the best sound tracks I have ever listened to. It makes any scene seem epic. Put two cats fighting with an Attack on Titan theme and it feels as if you are witnessing pure war. Okay I zoned out, back to what the topic was. So yeah if I had to say what put this anime above the rest is you don't know what is going to happen. You truly don't, almost every prediction or outcome is wrong beyond measure. Their is nothing we can prove other then the fact we have to watch to know exactly what is going on. Death their, and death over their. See in most anime we see everyone living and happy. Here though Attack on Titan is the type of anime when you grow an attachment on one character they literally shun him the next episode and before you know it he/she is hanging in the mouth of a Titan. No I'm not revealing spoiler because this has happened so much its not spoiler anymore its basic plot in this anime and so help me for some odd reason I love it. I just love it. It always has me standing on the edge of my seat, eyes widen and skin tingling. The outcome of what will happen in never known and I don't believe anyone can predict. Here is the thing though. Its basic, its nothing special what we should expect from a concept plot like this. Its just for the first time an Anime is actually being real to what it means to fight for your life and not everything that happens is what you want to happen.

Now to sum up the characters. Every supporting character and main character. I talked about the certainty of death and tragedy. Another thing this anime puts above others is its character development. You have a boy Eren who has no premise or true skill but his purpose is stronger then anyone. Though out the series he gains experience and witnesses loss. He gains a power to such a extreme degree that every time he shows it, it never gets old. The emotion to it. Its mind bogglingly. I won't reveal what that power is so go watch and be amazed. How about Mikasa? Though out the generation of anime the females have been so...how to say? O yeah. Useless. Mikasa is everything but useless. Hell I believe she is one of the few if not only anime female you absolutely love and know she can run with the boys. Being a badass fighter and having that strong personality as well as commitment to Eren. She grows on you, and you always want her to win. How about Armin? Well the first couple episodes I had no hope for him. He seems weak, fragile, and so scared of everything. Though he might have developed more then anyone. From being a scared little boy he counts on his intellect and quick thinking as well as throw away his emotions when time is needed. He ends up being a character you love to watch and gain respect for every episode which passes by. Pretty much this is for every character. Some who seem to have no hope end up becoming stronger and braver. Those with cocky attitudes get their worlds crushed and change fast. How about the epically bad ass characters which you notice fast that you freaking love so much that every time battle begins you hope you get to see them in action and go absolute monster. This anime focuses on every character and everyone gets a spot light. It makes the concept of the anime which is how they are not scared to kill anyone and puts you on edge hoping they don't kill any of your favorite characters. Its the perfect mix of emotional outcome I have ever seen in Anime. And when they are dead. Their dead. OOPPPSIE!! Or are they? Watch and you will figure out.
You must be registered for see images
I'm not the type to reveal to much in my reviews and nor will I ever. But I still need to relay some more thing to you guys who have yet to watch this daredevil of an anime. Its pure epic. Yes epic. No not that type of "Dragon Ball Z" or "Naruto" epic where you either yell and your hair grows or you yell out an attack. No its not that. Every moment something big happens. Its big, its raises the roof and just hammers down everything in such a fast pace you have to re-watch the moment just to make sure you know what you witnessed. Its pure and with the stunning anime effects and sound tracks to help the moment I can ensure you that the moments here make even the loudest screams seem like a cat meowing for no reason. Its amazement. Hair sticking up in the back of your neck is not just an expression when watching this anime, it actually happens and everyone who is watching the series know it.

Attack on Titan is also not like most anime. You see what we are accustom to is a little something called "fan service" and though I have no actual problems with it. Showing it to much ruins the texture of the anime...I'm talking to you Sword Art Online, One Piece, Bleach, and pretty much any other anime which takes fan service to a serious extent. Its fun to watch but I want to be in the story. With Attack on Titan you don't worry about that. Their are some shots of romance here and their but its actually series romance and the type your okay to watch and even adds in some prowess to the plot. Attack on Titan is kept a serious anime as well as very mature. The amount of deaths is nothing compared to how they die. Seeing someone torn in half is not something to laugh at and makes you suck your thumb in emotion of what other death we might see.
So if you want to have a fun time watching an anime. Though its fun to watch its not that type of fun. Its a scary thriller which has blood, death, pain, and everything in between. This is one of the very few anime out their that actually pull you in.
O did I forget to mention season one just ended? Yep it gave the best first impression. Go watch it, and expect me to review season 2.

Rating------> 10/10

Attention: To everyone who posts spoilers, I will report it. This is a spoiler free review.​

illidanson

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I just finished watching this series today.

And while it is indeed a pretty good anime, it is most certainly overrated.

I'd probably give it 7/10.

Not gonna go into further detail right now though as the clock is 1 AM where I'm at and I'm very tired Zzz