Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,122💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
As fast as Medjutsu.

No, they don't. Highest always. That's one of the things you have to be wary of with AF. Though lets say you use a technique that heals you for 10 HP per turn for three turns and one that heals you for 5 HP per turn for four turns. You'd get 10HP for the first three and then in the fourth you'd get 5. So always watch the durations.

In this case it's just a single hit of 20 damage. There are other techniques where you'll be taking damage per turn for it being sustained and they are specified.

(Kaen Kakkusei Iden: Shinikakete Iru Nokoribi) – Atavistic Flame: Dying Embers
Type: Supplementary
Range: N/A
Chakra: N/A
Damage: N/A
Description: Dying Embers is a technique that strengthens the regenerative effect after using an Atavistic technique. The technique is intended to hasten the pace at which a user recovers from using an Atavistic technique that consumes their spiritual health. Upon activation this technique effectively doubles the healing done overtime by Atavistic techniques; any excess health gained back is lost. This technique lasts for the user’s next three Atavistic techniques. After usage the user will be unable to regenerate from using Atavistic Flame techniques for three turns as well as be unable to use this technique again for that duration. It is activated the cost of a move but does not occupy a slot in the timeframe.
Note: Dying Embers cannot be used with Will to Survive's passive healing.
So this gives a short term doubled recovery but comes with the caveat that you can't regenerate spiritual health for three turns after usage. It's relatively simplistic and that drawback could even be considered beneficial if you intentionally want to lower your hp over 3 turns dramatically.

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You double the potency of the healing received from your Atavistic Flame, and in exchange once the Dying Embers are spent, you cannot heal from any source of Atavistic Flame for three turns. I think the potential gains definitely outweigh the loss of healing for three turns, as it specifies it lasts for three techniques. Considering most of these techniques grant small bonuses over a series of turns, even if only the highest will ever apply in a given moment, you can definitely spread out your attacks over a couple of turns, and play around the duration of the techniques to maximize your potential healing received, refreshing the healing for want of a better word. Then, as Rexii pointed out, if you want to go for Will to Survive, not being able to heal while you spiritually chip yourself down without the associated healing is a solid way to guarantee it, provided you can avoid being killed while you do. Overall nice technique.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah that was my intent. There's a lot of finer strategy that can be implemented with this field and how you manage your HP.

(Kaen Kakkusei Iden: Hi no Mawari) – Atavistic Flame: Around the Fire
Type: Defensive, Supplementary
Range: Short – Mid
Description: Around the Fire is a supportive technique designed to give assistance to human allies. The user burns their own spirit to draw upon their Atavistic Flame, inflicting 30 spiritual damage upon themselves. In the following two turns the user will regenerate 15 spiritual Health Points. When activated this technique ignites an aura of pale-yellow flame around the user, radiating warmth outwards up to mid-range from the user’s position. All humans designated as the user’s allies will heal for 30 spiritual Health Points per turn, have all damage inflicted upon them reduced by 20 points, and have their base movement speed increased by 4 points.
Note: Can be activated three times per battle.
Note: The user does not benefit from this technique and must focus to sustain it for its duration.
Note: This technique can be sustained for three turns before deactivating. Each turn it is sustained after its activation inflicts an additional 10 spiritual points of damage upon the user.

Pretty nice technique though its usage is definitely niche.

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Very interesting technique where you inflict damage upon yourself to heal and reinforce your allies, increasing their chances at survival and victory. While Mid Range is limited, the amount of people you can reasonably fit within that space is considerable, and if everyone is acting in tandem, this can be a very important technique. Healing 30 spiritual damage, reducing all damage by 20 and an increase to base speed of 4, especially that last one, are all potent buffs. The trade off is that the user must sustain this technique to keep them applied, and they themselves do not benefit from them, and in fact sustaining them hurts them beyond the basic requirement of the technique which inflicts 30 and recovers 15 for two turns, damaging them for an additional 10 per turn, which isn't stated to be healed. Like with the previous technique the ability to lower your health in small increments makes activating Will to Survive easier and more beneficial, and if you have allies to cover for you while you perform this, getting closer to that sweet spot between having enough health missing to make Will to Survive but not enough to kill you with a freeform gust of wind, could make you a very important part of any encounter involving multiple parties.

Ańbu Juniør

Legendary
Kin
6,839💸
Kumi
26,730💴
Trait Points
28⚔️
Always a pleasant surprise to see my boy Imp reply in a timely manner.

Yeah that was my intent. There's a lot of finer strategy that can be implemented with this field and how you manage your HP.

Description: Around the Fire is a supportive technique designed to give assistance to human allies. The user burns their own spirit to draw upon their Atavistic Flame, inflicting 30 spiritual damage upon themselves. In the following two turns the user will regenerate 15 spiritual Health Points. When activated this technique ignites an aura of pale-yellow flame around the user, radiating warmth outwards up to mid-range from the user’s position. All humans designated as the user’s allies will heal for 30 spiritual Health Points per turn, have all damage inflicted upon them reduced by 20 points, and have their base movement speed increased by 4 points.
Note: The user does not benefit from this technique and must focus to sustain it for its duration.
Note: This technique can be sustained for three turns before deactivating. Each turn it is sustained after its activation inflicts an additional 10 spiritual points of damage upon the user.

This reminds me a lot of Ring of Hell. This technique allows you to heal the spiritual health points of human targets designated as your allies up to mid-range away. In addition, it reduces all damage inflicted on them by 20 points, be it physical or spiritual in nature, and increases their base speed by 4. It's very beneficial for team battles as that's where this technique has the most utility, and the fact that you need to sustain it to continually heal them/apply the other buffs, another team member would need to protect you.

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,122💴
Trait Points
25⚔️

AOE healing basically. I don't really have any questions about this, its useful but like you said niche. Would be good in a raid potentially or group event, or on bios that use familiars a lot.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
(Ishi no Ikinobiru: Chūkū Hi) – Will to Survive: Hollow Flame
Type: Mode
Chakra: N/A (-10 per turn)
Damage: N/A (+20)
Description: Will to Survive is an empowered state of spirit and soul, strengthening the user on multiple combat dimensions. The potency of the mode is divided between three different levels depending on the user’s mastery over their Atavistic Flame. Entering this form is comparatively complicated to Sage Mode even though the modes are similar in functionality. Atavistic Flame is recognized as humanity’s collective will to persevere; because of this it is actually optimal to activate the Will to Survive when the user is at their weakest, rather than at their strongest as is with Sage Mode. Upon activation Hollow Flame will take the user’s missing Health Points from their maximum and multiply that value by 4.5. This value represents the user’s total reserves for use of Atavistic Flame techniques and the mode’s sustainment. The mode is deactivated once the user has expended these reserves. The user becomes resistant to all sources of damage, reducing them by 20 points. The user becomes able to passively sense sources of life around their position with enhanced tracking, reflexes, and perception by x2. Their usage of Atavistic Flame techniques is enhanced further, strengthening them by an additional 20 damage. The user’s body will glow with a faint yellow aura and embers dancing off their skin; their sclera will shift toward a dim yellow. While active the user regenerates their missing Health Points at a rate of 30 per turn, applying to both physical and spiritual damage.
Note: Atavistic techniques used in this mode still inflict recoil damage if they do by default. Atavistic effective Chakra value is reduced from the total mode's resources while in use.
Note: While active the user does not suffer from Health Fatigue, spiritual or physical, at all.
Note: Initiates can use Will to Survive twice per battle. Masters and Grandmasters can make use of the mode three times per battle, but can only use their advanced forms twice.
Note: The activation of Will to Survive is not restricted by Combat Fatigue.

And we've arrived at this. The end of the road for Initiates. Explain to me exactly how this work and how resource management works.

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The one we've been waiting for, Hollow Flame is the Initiate Rank variation of the Will to Survive Mode, Atavistic Flame's Sage Mode equivalent, functioning identically to the higher rank variations, but with lesser increases to the user's attributes. As noted, Atavistic Flame is a representation of Humanity's preservation instinct and as such is at it's strongest when the user is in a dire situation, with a greater desire to live.

For this Mode, the user activates it when they are missing health points from their total, which is then multiplied by 4.5x. So for example, if the user has 100 health missing from their total they will have an effective pool of 450, while if they are missing 150, it's increased to 675. The more health the user has, and the more they are missing, the greater the result will be when they enter Will to Survive, especially in the higher ranked variations. Once the pool is expended the Mode ends, and it is maintained at a cost of 10 per turn. The main saving grace about this mechanic is the fact it's exempt from fatigue rules, and this extends to the user themselves while in the Mode.

With the pool explained, next would be how it's used. If a technique were to inflict recoil on the user, that still applies, reducing their health by the given amount, and recovered following that same mechanic. Outside of this, the "effective Chakra" from a technique is deducted from the user's total. For example, if the user were to have the pool of 450, and performed an A-Rank application of Human Principle, then the "effective Chakra cost" of an A-Rank would be deducted from Will to Survive's pool, reducing it by 30, and leaving the user with 420, from which the -10 per turn cost also occurs, leaving the user with 410 left for the mode at the end of that turn. That's how it reads to me anyway, though I do have to ask if the additional Chakra these techniques get in clashes with Anutu and it's components are supposed to be included within these calculations? I think they don't, but better to ask and be sure.

In return for this unique mechanic that requires the user to essentially flirt with death, the user gains several benefits. Firstly they gain a -20 damage mitigation for all forms of damage, physical or spiritual. They also gain the ability to sense all sources of life presumably within the same Landmark, and at long range otherwise, with a potency of x2. On top of this, the user's Atavistic Flame techniques gain a +20 to their damage, as well as automatically recovering missing health at a fixed rate, regardless of type, physical or spiritual. The numerical value of these boosts are standard for most techniques, but naturally increase in potency with the Master and Grandmaster equivalents of Will to Survive, and the actual effects themselves are very nice, and are what you expect from a proper Mode.

Overall a very nice Mode, and one I hope I don't have to wait too long to use. No questions aside from the Anutu additional Chakra question.

• Love
Reactions: Ańbu Juniør

Ańbu Juniør

Legendary
Kin
6,839💸
Kumi
26,730💴
Trait Points
28⚔️
Description: Will to Survive is an empowered state of spirit and soul, strengthening the user on multiple combat dimensions. The potency of the mode is divided between three different levels depending on the user’s mastery over their Atavistic Flame. Entering this form is comparatively complicated to Sage Mode even though the modes are similar in functionality. Atavistic Flame is recognized as humanity’s collective will to persevere; because of this it is actually optimal to activate the Will to Survive when the user is at their weakest, rather than at their strongest as is with Sage Mode. Upon activation Hollow Flame will take the user’s missing Health Points from their maximum and multiply that value by 4.5. This value represents the user’s total reserves for use of Atavistic Flame techniques and the mode’s sustainment. The mode is deactivated once the user has expended these reserves. The user becomes resistant to all sources of damage, reducing them by 20 points. The user becomes able to passively sense sources of life around their position with enhanced tracking, reflexes, and perception by x2. Their usage of Atavistic Flame techniques is enhanced further, strengthening them by an additional 20 damage. The user’s body will glow with a faint yellow aura and embers dancing off their skin; their sclera will shift toward a dim yellow. While active the user regenerates their missing Health Points at a rate of 30 per turn, applying to both physical and spiritual damage.
Note: Atavistic techniques used in this mode still inflict recoil damage if they do by default. Atavistic effective Chakra value is reduced from the total mode's resources while in use.
Note: While active the user does not suffer from Health Fatigue, spiritual or physical, at all.
Note: Initiates can use Will to Survive twice per battle. Masters and Grandmasters can make use of the mode three times per battle, but can only use their advanced forms twice.

And we've arrived at this. The end of the road for Initiates. Explain to me exactly how this work and how resource management works.
Hollow Flame is the first stage of the Will to Survive and is the only one available to Initiates. This mode is an empowered state of the spirit that strengthens the user and is best used when they're at their weakest in terms of health. When activated it takes the user's missing health points and multiplies it by a value of 4.5, with the resulting number becoming the reserve the user draws from to maintain the mode and use Atavistic Flame techniques. For example, Since I have a total of 200 HP, if I was missing 80 of that when activating this mode I would have a total of 360 resource to sustain this mode, losing -10 per turn in addition to the effective Chakra value of whatever AF technique I use.

While in use you gain +20 damage to your Atavistic Flame techniques and reduce all incoming damage by -20, which won't stack with other means of damage reduction since only the highest applies. You also gain enhanced tracking at a rate of x2, and one of the main benefits I can see is that you regenerate 30 health points per turn AND won't suffer from the fatigue drawbacks from the health system while this mode is active.

The only question I have is if this mode can be deactivated at will, or does the user have to use up all the resource before it forcibly ends?

Apart from the mode I also need clarification on one thing. We know that the Atavistic Flame has a strength against Anutu and it's components, but how does it interact with other elemental techniques and Yin/Yang? Is it neutral to everything?

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
though I do have to ask if the additional Chakra these techniques get in clashes with Anutu and it's components are supposed to be included within these calculations? I think they don't, but better to ask and be sure.
They're not. Treat them like you would advantages against elements. Boosts but not actually boosts.

The only question I have is if this mode can be deactivated at will, or does the user have to use up all the resource before it forcibly ends?

Apart from the mode I also need clarification on one thing. We know that the Atavistic Flame has a strength against Anutu and it's components, but how does it interact with other elemental techniques and Yin/Yang? Is it neutral to everything?
You can deactivate it.

Neutral.

Reactions: Ańbu Juniør

Arthorius

Regular
Kin
4,105💸
Kumi
22,122💴
Trait Points
25⚔️

Not much point in me repeating what they both said about how it works, but I do have some questions. In regards to the max hp pool, is that max base health or max current HP? I ask mostly from a theoretical standpoint that someone would say have a technique of some sort that boosts their total hp amount.

Also I notice this mode only boosts the usage of other atavistic techniques or thats how its worded at least, as a concept I know Atavistic flame and chakra don't really "mix" but we can still use chakra based jutsu while in this mode without issue right?