Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,398💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We are bringing Art of the Month contest back. If it gets good response we can make it a regular contest.

You can discuss here everything that is related to the Art of the Month-contest. ^^

So, if, you have any questions or suggestions, post them here and NOT in the submissions thread.

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
there should be a rule where the forum username needs to be somewhere on the submission. its an extremely easy thing for an artist to do and ends any debate regarding if its something the user actually created. making it that when it actually might -not- be something someone created and you call it out you get punished, may lead to less conflict. but encourages exploiting that system and is a huge flaw in the context of this contest. its a rule that solves multiple issues rather than getting the curator to play detective

a big reason artists even started signing their work even back to the Christian art era in Rome where everyone had to paint, sculpt, etc. christian themed art under Constantines rule, was too prevent this. people were stealing others art and passing it as their own and profiting financially. other artists making replicas of paintings and sculptures. so artists started signing their work, somewhere on the piece more so than for fame. its still done to this day by famous and non famous artists and has been for centuries. its apart of art culture so much that most starting artists try to think of stylish ways to sign their pieces and it makes sense. people even tag their username online on like instagram and other sites and even in memes now, TikTok literally has an auto tag in every video someone posts there. having to do it on a forum contest isnt a stretch

its logical, especially in a competition and is not too much to ask of an artist. theres a millions ways you can include your username for a piece you created for a contest. even if its an older one you didnt make specifically for this, theres a bunch of ways you can add your username to something, whether its digital art or a photo of traditional art in a way thats organic and authentic rather than like a photoshop tag over a picture. even in the spirit of competition as a whole, no one who is participating or even fans dont like to be cheated, thats a terrible feeling when someone is beating you and theyve been cheating the whole time. players in professional sports have broken records and inspired people later to find out they were using performance enhancing drugs the whole time, that also sucks. also no one is perfect, referees miss what seems like obvious calls, so leagues started adding equipment and even rules like coaches challenges to help this with this

but in this case, this single rule, trumps all these rules by simply adding your username:
NO copying other contestants
You must use a Drawing you have made - not someone else's
Posts such as: "Yours is fake" will not be tolerated and you will receive an infraction~

Last edited:

Elmage G Ace

Elite
Kin
2,620💸
Kumi
6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
there should be a rule where the forum username needs to be somewhere on the submission. its an extremely easy thing for an artist to do and ends any debate regarding if its something the user actually created. making it that when it actually might -not- be something someone created and you call it out you get punished, may lead to less conflict. but encourages exploiting that system and is a huge flaw in the context of this contest. its a rule that solves multiple issues rather than getting the curator to play detective

a big reason artists even started signing their work even back to the Christian art era in Rome where everyone had to paint, sculpt, etc. christian themed art under Constantines rule, was too prevent this. people were stealing others art and passing it as their own and profiting financially. other artists making replicas of paintings and sculptures. so artists started signing their work, somewhere on the piece more so than for fame. its still done to this day by famous and non famous artists and has been for centuries. its apart of art culture so much that most starting artists try to think of stylish ways to sign their pieces and it makes sense. people even tag their username online on like instagram and other sites and even in memes now, TikTok literally has an auto tag in every video someone posts there. having to do it on a forum contest isnt a stretch

its logical, especially in a competition and is not too much to ask of an artist. theres a millions ways you can include your username for a piece you created for a contest. even if its an older one you didnt make specifically for this, theres a bunch of ways you can add your username to something, whether its digital art or a photo of traditional art in a way thats organic and authentic rather than like a photoshop tag over a picture. even in the spirit of competition as a whole, no one who is participating or even fans dont like to be cheated, thats a terrible feeling when someone is beating you and theyve been cheating the whole time. players in professional sports have broken records and inspired people later to find out they were using performance enhancing drugs the whole time, that also sucks. also no one is perfect, referees miss what seems like obvious calls, so leagues started adding equipment and even rules like coaches challenges to help this with this

but in this case, this single rule, trumps all these rules by simply adding your username:
NO copying other contestants
You must use a Drawing you have made - not someone else's
Posts such as: "Yours is fake" will not be tolerated and you will receive an infraction~
Thanks for your suggestions. I only just recently took over the hosting of this contest, the previous host, Caliburn set the rules as is right now, and it's been that way for a while, so I'll have to have a discussion with him about that, given that Cali is also an artist and must have considered that over the years...
So if it's necessary, the rules could change after our talks. Thanks

Reactions: GrapeApe

Elmage G Ace

Elite
Kin
2,620💸
Kumi
6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Hello artists! Hope we're all staying safe!

The Art of the Month for August Winners has been announced! That November will be up in a few hours, you can still decide on a theme here if you want, but you have less than 10 hours to do so. Thank you

Note: The rules of the Art Contest of the Month will be updated in the next contest thread, please pay attention to the changes.

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
yo personally im against the theme thing, i think better art happens when you can express whatever you feel like. because you never know what will inspire you, like you might not be feeling the theme that month. but you really are captivated or have a great idea thats in another direction. like drawing for me takes like hours 8 minimum. if im not hyped or finding what the theme is inspiring, it makes me not want to put that time into drawing whatever vs im more inclined to draw whatever i want. i think its better without a theme and we’ll see better art from everyone but thats just me

Elmage G Ace

Elite
Kin
2,620💸
Kumi
6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
yo personally im against the theme thing, i think better art happens when you can express whatever you feel like. because you never know what will inspire you, like you might not be feeling the theme that month. but you really are captivated or have a great idea thats in another direction. like drawing for me takes like hours 8 minimum. if im not hyped or finding what the theme is inspiring, it makes me not want to put that time into drawing whatever vs im more inclined to draw whatever i want. i think its better without a theme and we’ll see better art from everyone but thats just me
While it is true that the artworks may be better with the freedom to express yourself, don't forget that it's still a contest, and we also want to push the artists out of their comfort zone. From my own experience, having a theme is usually better for me, because in cases like these, I'll spend most of the time trying to select the best concept, and it becomes a problem of too many options. I guess everyone is different, but what I can say about themes is it helps in skill development too. I'm great at abstract and surreal artwork, but often struggle with realism sometimes, but a theme centered on realism would cause me to do better at it... If that makes sense, but let's see how it goes

El Alucard

Veteran
Kin
2,077💸
Kumi
779💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
May comes in my country with the first fruits, cherries, strawberries, and all kind of beautiful flowers.
We can try to draw a still nature, or we can go for a portrait of a Summer Goddess.
Never drew nature stills so I I'm more towards the summer goddess idea but honestly it wouldn't kill to try the nature thing

Elmage G Ace

Elite
Kin
2,620💸
Kumi
6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
May comes in my country with the first fruits, cherries, strawberries, and all kind of beautiful flowers.
We can try to draw a still nature, or we can go for a portrait of a Summer Goddess.
Never drew nature stills so I I'm more towards the summer goddess idea but honestly it wouldn't kill to try the nature thing
Good ideas! We could have both too xD

Reactions: Michelle