Are all tastes in anime considered equal?

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
So I used to say that no one has shit taste in anime, but apparently, shit taste = not similar to what is objectively good.

So my question is if you think the so called shit taste (well, like I said, there's an actual definition for it that people agree on but I don't think it should be called "shit") is any better than the so called refined taste/good taste?

In my opinion, none is better than the other because while you might be able to judge an anime objectively, taste is completely subjective.

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I mean, whatever you want it to be. Taste refines, or develops, as you watch more and more anime, and so you generally lean towards anime which are "to your taste".
"well, like I said, there's an actual definition for it that people agree on but I don't think it should be called "shit""

What do people agree on? Also, is this the first serious thread you made or are you low key trolling again?

Kagerou

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
"well, like I said, there's an actual definition for it that people agree on but I don't think it should be called "shit""

What do people agree on? Also, is this the first serious thread you made or are you low key trolling again?
I don't know what people agree on. They're all monsters.

I'm never serious nor satirical. I just say what needs to be said.

No, but I literally wrote it there.

It's shit taste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricardo

Banned
Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Shit taste is often related to people who only watch main stream anime like Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail etc.
Everyone is entitled to their own tastes so it's highly subjective.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There is no accounting for taste...Although the concept exists.

Usually people use the accepted criteria of "good" taste according to things like:

1) No vulgarity ( especially when not contextual but added forcefully for sake of adding it)
2)Unified aesthetics
3)Concerned efforts

These three concepts are pretty universal. Also the literature/music/art/movie/show that glamorizes behavioral depravity or baser instincts, is frowned upon as bad as they encourage negative tendencies of any society.

Other than that, as everyone is saying taste is a subjective terms. An individual likes or dislikes depend on certain factors: exposure, previous experiences, expectations, your age and times you are in etc. Or whether you only want to have some light fun or looking for larger than life narrative. If you have extensive knowledge of the art form and properly educated about different aspects of it, your ideas get refined and more clear. But of course you also risk playing with elitism here.

This brings me to :

Shit taste is often related to people who only watch main stream anime like Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail etc.
Everyone is entitled to their own tastes so it's highly subjective.

" French philosopher Pierre Bourdieu, in his book Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste, argues that there is no such thing as objectively good or bad taste, and that 'good taste' is determined by the ruling class in a society as a way of setting of themselves apart from less powerful classes, and establishing the things they enjoy as somehow superior. German philosopher Georg Simmel noted that as soon as fashions are adopted by the lower classes, they will be abandoned by the upper classes, a phenomenon that could explain why what constitutes 'good taste' is constantly shifting.

According to these two, things favored by the lower classes (or by the recently wealthy, who, culturally, haven't really assimilated into the upper classes) aren't objectively bad: they're just considered to be in bad taste because the people who like them aren't the ones making the rules. "

This quote is what can easily cover most people who try to claim having a "good taste" just because they watch a less known anime instead of more common anime watched by masses.

If one is going to judge s/he better be objective and be able to define his/her personal criteria.

Last edited:

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'd say you have shit taste if the only anime you know is the ones that premiered toonami. Not because it's bad but because you didn't put any effort in to find something you like and instead settled for what was force fed to you.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'd say you have shit taste if the only anime you know is the ones that premiered toonami. Not because it's bad but because you didn't put any effort in to find something you like and instead settled for what was force fed to you.
How not being more interested in that kind of art makes someone's taste shitty? Just because you become aware of a genre and check a couple of things out from it, it doesn't mean you now must explore it to prove your taste is good. People still may have other interests and may not be that attracted in the genre/medium itself that much.

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
How not being more interested in that kind of art makes someone's taste shitty? Just because you become aware of a genre and check a couple of things out from it, it doesn't mean you now must explore it to prove your taste is good. People still may have other interests and may not be that attracted in the genre/medium itself that much.
It's shitty because it's limited, and quite frankly not really your own. It's like being forced to eat turkey sandwiches your whole life. Never knowing of pastrami, or even a warm sandwich like grilled cheese. Becoming complacent with the turkey sub.

Or a better analogy would be speaking/ writing papers on topics you don't really know about since you did little to 0 research, and all you have to work on is class notes.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's shitty because it's limited, and quite frankly not really your own. It's like being forced to eat turkey sandwiches your whole life. Never knowing of pastrami, or even a warm sandwich like grilled cheese. Becoming complacent with the turkey sub.

Or a better analogy would be speaking/ writing papers on topics you don't really know about since you did little to 0 research, and all you have to work on is class notes.

What kind of logic is that?

World has many more restaurants and other menus than from your personal cafeteria. You assume since they are not interested in more of the food of your personal liking, they are going to live on that sandwich for rest of their lives. There are plenty of other cuisines from other places that may fancy more. Nothing bad about now trying more from the same place.

At the most it limits their knowledge of that particular medium limited. It doesn't make their taste crappy.

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
What kind of logic is that?
you don't have to agree with my opinion on this.

World has many more restaurants and other menus than from your personal cafeteria. You assume since they are not interested in more of the food of your personal liking, they are going to live on that sandwich for rest of their lives. There are plenty of other cuisines from other places that may fancy more. Nothing bad about now trying more from the same place.
That's the thing tho, its not really your cafeteria it's more along the lines of McDonald's, crafted by someone else. It nothing to do with my opinion on what's good or not but their lack of going beyond what's given to them.

At the most it limits their knowledge of that particular medium limited. It doesn't make their taste crappy.

It kinda does.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
you don't have to agree with my opinion on this
No shit Sherlock.

That's the thing tho, its not really your cafeteria it's more along the lines of McDonald's, crafted by someone else. It nothing to do with my opinion on what's good or not but their lack of going beyond what's given to them.
Doesn't matter- point is that not being interested beyond what they were given once cannot be criteria for quality of their 'taste'.

It kinda does.
Yep. That's all to it.

Desmodus

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Seems to me I can stand behind some points, but completely disagree with others. I don´t really watch anime, but I read a lot of books, so I will rather refer to "anime" as "books". Similar thing, anyway.

My friend likes "mediocre" writing. Vampires stuck in a highschool age, shining in the sun. Talking dragons, fate of the world, hero must save us all. Repetitive. Unimaginative. Stale. And yeah, I have read them too.

There is a clear difference between a great book and a mediocre one. Sure, guilty pleasure does exist, but does it make you think about the words, their possible implications, all the outcomes and terrifying fallouts? No, I do not think so. For me, words matter.

While I do like the analogy about food, I would change it a bit - while for someone pasta with ketchup may be haute cuisine, it clearly pales in comparison with sushi made by Jiro Ono (and here I am suggesting all of you "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". An interesting insight into a craftman´s soul and Japanese nature overall). It is the same for me with books, and, I dare to say, anime as well.

So yeah, while taste may be subjective, I believe quality matters... and for that, refined taste matters. I will be more curious about an opinion from a person that can tell me the type of herbs in my food than someone who shouts "dayum, this ketchup is the real deal pal, you never had anything like this". Sure, I am exaggerating, but you catch my drift.

But hey, that´s my two cents, you may see it differently.

Reactions: Sugiyama

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No shit Sherlock.

Doesn't matter- point is that not being interested beyond what they were given once cannot be criteria for quality of their 'taste'.

Yep. That's all to it.
Why not?the 'taste' in question was curated by someone else. So technically it isn't even their taste.

All im saying is this, you can't know if something is amazing or if it sucks if you only have 1 point of reference. Everything that exists is in relation to something else, and because they have nothing to compare it to their taste is shit.

BenjerminGaye

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Seems to me I can stand behind some points, but completely disagree with others. I don´t really watch anime, but I read a lot of books, so I will rather refer to "anime" as "books". Similar thing, anyway.

My friend likes "mediocre" writing. Vampires stuck in a highschool age, shining in the sun. Talking dragons, fate of the world, hero must save us all. Repetitive. Unimaginative. Stale. And yeah, I have read them too.

There is a clear difference between a great book and a mediocre one. Sure, guilty pleasure does exist, but does it make you think about the words, their possible implications, all the outcomes and terrifying fallouts? No, I do not think so. For me, words matter.

While I do like the analogy about food, I would change it a bit - while for someone pasta with ketchup may be haute cuisine, it clearly pales in comparison with sushi made by Jiro Ono (and here I am suggesting all of you "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". An interesting insight into a craftman´s soul and Japanese nature overall). It is the same for me with books, and, I dare to say, anime as well.

So yeah, while taste may be subjective, I believe quality matters... and for that, refined taste matters. I will be more curious about an opinion from a person that can tell me the type of herbs in my food than someone who shouts "dayum, this ketchup is the real deal pal, you never had anything like this". Sure, I am exaggerating, but you catch my drift.

But hey, that´s my two cents, you may see it differently.
thats the thing. You can only say that by having knowledge of both. The person taking in ketchup and pasta their whole life can't compare to the sushi because they don't even know about the sushi. They can't draw that point of comparison between the two if all they know about is the one.