Veteran
Kin
9💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Without googling, take a minute and answer these questions:

1. Widget: if it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

2. Batball: a bat and a ball cost 1.10$ in total. The bat costs 1.00$ more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? ..... cents.

3. Lily pads: in a lake, there is a patch of lillypads. Everyday, the patch doubles in size, if it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take the patch to cover half the lake? ...... days.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

1. Widget: if it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long does it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

2. Batball: a bat and a ball cost 1.10$ in total. The bat costs 1.00$ more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? ..... cents.

3. Lily pads: in a lake, there is a patch of lillypads. Everyday, the patch doubles in size, if it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take the patch to cover half the lake? ...... days.
5, 10 cents, 47 I think.

It's trickier when it doubles in two days...

PS: If wrong. I didn't post it- Pekoms trolled.

Edit: I read the second question wrong - Didn't notice the keyword "more" before. crap. should have cheated and taken extra time.

Last edited:

Yeah right

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1. I’m trying to figure out the trick here. But without looking it up and following my own logic, because 5 5 5. So, 100? But, I think I’m suppose to use the 5 minutes to make five widgets. So my second answer would be 20. If both wrong, let me know.
2. 5 cents
3. 47 days

Reactions: NarutoKage2

Narushima

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1. This is a proportionality problem, n = m*t*c where c is the proportionality constant so 5 = 25c or c = 1/5 and 100 = 100*1/5 *t or t = 5

2. Simultaneous equations, bat+ball = 1.1 and bat-ball = 1.0 so 2bat = 2.1 and bat 1.05 making the ball 0.05;
Note that if the ball were 10 cents then the bat would be 1.1 (1.0 more than the ball) making the total 1.2 not 1.1

3. This is a geometric series that doubles the patch size every day which means that the day before the final day the size would be half the full size so it would be half full on the 47th day and double to full size on the 48th

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1. This is a proportionality problem, n = m*t*c where c is the proportionality constant so 5 = 25c or c = 1/5 and 100 = 100*1/5 *t or t = 5

2. Simultaneous equations, bat+ball = 1.1 and bat-ball = 1.0 so 2bat = 2.1 and bat 1.05 making the ball 0.05;
Note that if the ball were 10 cents then the bat would be 1.1 (1.0 more than the ball) making the total 1.2 not 1.1

3. This is a geometric series that doubles the patch size every day which means that the day before the final day the size would be half the full size so it would be half full on the 47th day and double to full size on the 48th

Yea.. I didn't pay attention to the word "more", first time around.

NarutoKage2

Veteran
Kin
9💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
5 mins, 5 cents, 47 days.

The second one was tricky.
Correct on all 3 counts.

The name of this test was the Cognition Reflection Test, and it had a very interesting purpose.

The questions themselves were conducted under the aegis of ‘evolutionists’, as a means of discerning cognition patterns between students who reject, or accept, the theory(scientific lexicon here) of evolution. At least that was the original intent of the test, thus the deliberate use of questions that require the student to ignore intuition in order to arrive at the correct answer. Biological evolution, in a similar vein, requires the use of counter intuitive logic in order to fully grasp.

Scoring high on this test was supposed to mean you had a higher chance of understanding evolution,and while generally true it was found out that people with high scores were more likely to self rationalise whatever they had been conditioned to believe with regards to evolution, I.e religious believers continued to deny it by more efficiently convincing themselves of its falseness whilst secular thinkers retained their agreement with its scientific validity.
As for the explanations, other users have done a good job on that score.

1. I’m trying to figure out the trick here. But without looking it up and following my own logic, because 5 5 5. So, 100? But, I think I’m suppose to use the 5 minutes to make five widgets. So my second answer would be 20. If both wrong, let me know.
2. 5 cents
3. 47 days
It’s actually 5 minutes since we can infer that each machine takes 5 minutes to make a widget. So a 100 machines would still take only 5 minutes to make 100 widgets. Right on the rest.

This post more or less eliminated the need to withhold the answers any longer: (sorry for double post).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kin
358💸
Kumi
205💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

5 minutes
5 cents
47 days

NarutoKage2

Veteran
Kin
9💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️