Anime industry suffers because of otaku...

Elio

Supreme
Kin
1,938💸
Kumi
13,129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

Recently Hayao Miyazaki has stated that he belived the anime industry is suffering because of "otaku" (Otaku basically means anime fan; there's a more in depth definition further on).

TL;DR:

• If you unironically call yourself an otaku, you’re lumping yourself in with some of the least-respected members of society in Japan, and you shouldn’t be surprised/outraged when a well-respected member of Japanese society looks down on you.
  • The things otaku like are off-putting, and because the anime industry makes most of their money from otaku, the anime industry in general is off-putting.
  • The anime industry should probably be restructured so that otaku have less power to decide what gets animated, otherwise the anime industry will collapse because NOBODY LIKES IT.

Uh, he never implied masturbation is as bad as war. He’s being a cranky old man, as cranky old men are wont to do. The author of the article just listed those things as additional things Miyazaki doesn’t like.

And something you people really, really, REALLY need to understand is that "otaku" is not a term of endearment in Japan the way “nerd” has become so in the West. If I were to speculate, I’d say it has a lot to do with cultural values - here, we place a lot of value and pride in our individual identities, but that just is not the case in Japan. They, and the East Asian countries in general, place a lot of value in working to improve the collective. Being an otaku implies a lot of the things you’d think being the classical “nerd” implies - living in your mother’s basement, spending all your time watching anime/slacking off, and being a general drain on society. While that’s not “accepted” in the West per se, it is not directly contradictory to every cultural value we have. We’re just expressing our identities when we do those kinds of things. In Japan, they are the antithesis of a praiseworthy member of society.When the anime industry is, in Miyazaki’s mind, full of these kinds of people, who seal themselves off in insular groups and jack off to 2D waifus all day in between drawing said 2D waifus, that is a real problem.

Frankly, when I look at the entire catalogue of anime titles released over the past 5 years, I see what he means. Who the **** is going to buy OreImo except lolicon siscon hentai otaku? Who the **** is going to buy K-On! except ronery NEETs? I LOVE the Monogatari Series - but who the **** is going to buy that shit except social rejects?

Real-life people do not act like the people in those shows.Real people do not say to their friends/rivals in love “hey, let’s take a shower together while I fondle your tits.” Real sisters do not fall in love with their oniichan desu~s after many sessions of counseling. I love the tsundere archetype, but a real-life tsundere is someone that nobody wants to be around because they treat other people like shit.

I probably should devote an entire paragraph to lolis. (Most) people do not sexualize little girls, and in fact find the sexualization of of little girls to be repulsive. Why, then, are there so many lolis in anime? Because lolis represent a lot of things that a lot of men find desirable in women - innocence, petite bodies, cuteness in general. But for whatever reason, it has become not only okay, but the norm for anime to have prepubescent girls in compromising sexual positions. If you like flat chests - fine. If you like inexperienced girls - fine. If you like cute things - fine. Mashing all of those things together on a 12-year-old and slapping a bikini on her to appeal to otaku with those preferences? Most people will say that is ****ed up.

Fanservice is off-putting to a lot of people. Incest is off-putting to a lot of people. Lolis are off-putting to a lot of people. Unbelievable characters and character interactions are off-putting to a lot of people. But those things are things that self-proclaimed otaku audiences embrace, so that’s what the Miyazaki-proclaimed otaku in the industry draw. Because animation studios make so little money off of anything but DVD and merchandise sales, and otaku are the only people who buy that stuff, the anime industry of late has become inbred and stale at best, and offensive and pedophilic at worst.

Miyazaki is well-loved, both in the West and in the East. But he is not well-loved because his works are made for otaku. I’ve never seen anything he’s made, but the sense I get is that he’s loved in the mainstream because he tells stories that resonate with a hell of a lot of people. The problem he sees in the anime industry is that their works tend only to resonate with otaku, and otaku are not acceptable members of society in Japan. From what I’ve seen of what’s been released and been popular the past few years, I cannot blame him for thinking the way he does.

What do you guys think about this?

I am sort of on the fence about his statement. I agree what the original poster said about how offensive and stale the anime industry has become... And it’s starting to become painfully obvious. I love anime, but I’m beginning to have a really hard time finding stuff that doesn’t make me uncomfortably. Stuff that has a substantial story and good characters, without panty shots or large unruly breasts, or have unsettling things like ‘sexy 12 year olds’.

Last edited:
Reactions: YowYan

Elio

Supreme
Kin
1,938💸
Kumi
13,129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Me Ritsu! MEEE!
Bahaha. Well then according to the original poster, you are a social reject. u.u

Otaku means hentai right?
Lulz. Otaku is a derogatory word that came from Japan, but in the west it simply means you like anime. Although there are a lot more negative connations that stick with the word in Japan.
Very interesting thread for once. I can't stand Anime that lives of fanservice.
Same here. ~_~

Last edited:

-Punk-

Supreme
Kin
116💸
Kumi
265💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't watch all the anime is out out there like many people do , I hate fanservice , I look for deep interesting stories , but yeah I can see where this guy is coming from .

But , there is anime out there for everyone , everyone finds something to watch , if you don't like certain genres then don't watch them & turn the other way , cause there's people who like what you don't like & vise versa , there will always be smart people in the industry anyways to give us something to like .

Last edited:

Jack Spicer

Legendary
Kin
21💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't watch all the anime is out out there like many people do , I hate fanservice , I look for deep interesting stories , but yeah I can see where this guy is coming from .

But , there is anime out there for everyone , everyone finds something to watch , if you don't like certain genres then don't watch them & turn the other way , cause there's people who like what you don't like & vise versa , there will always be smart people in the industry anyways to give us something to like .
Once again, I find myself agreeing with Punk.

Transcendence

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have respect for the man, and I have seen some of his works, but he objectifies Otaku's far too much. But to the vast majority in Japan, his words will be hailed as the right one in this context because of how collective Japan is as a culture. They don't rid themselves of Anime in general, as it is a large part of their culture, but the Otaku idea is something that is frowned upon, and you are looked down upon as a degenerate person in society, whereas in North America, generally, you'd just be appealing to your own interests. I do agree that there are commonly repeated tropes in anime, but what does he expect? If the majority of revenue and popularity come from the die hard "Otaku" and that kind of stuff appeals to them, do you expect the animators/mangaka to not continue with what will give them a continued source of money for an indefinite amount of time? It's illogical.

Reactions: Elio

Elio

Supreme
Kin
1,938💸
Kumi
13,129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have respect for the man, and I have seen some of his works, but he objectifies Otaku's far too much. But to the vast majority in Japan, his words will be hailed as the right one in this context because of how collective Japan is as a culture. They don't rid themselves of Anime in general, as it is a large part of their culture, but the Otaku idea is something that is frowned upon, and you are looked down upon as a degenerate person in society, whereas in North America, generally, you'd just be appealing to your own interests. I do agree that there are commonly repeated tropes in anime, but what does he expect? If the majority of revenue and popularity come from the die hard "Otaku" and that kind of stuff appeals to them, do you expect the animators/mangaka to not continue with what will give them a continued source of money for an indefinite amount of time? It's illogical.
That's what I was also thinking. Why would the industry start pumping out anime that their primary customers don't like?

Chibiusa

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I LOVE this! It makes so much sense. It bothers me when ppl in the west act like Otaku is something to be so proud of. It's okay to be invested into your hobbies, but that shouldn't completely consume your life. You should still be able to connect with the rest of the population

Jazzy Stardust

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wow I agree with what he said completely. Any type of artist whether its music, writing, painting, or even mangaka need to be able to express themselves so that people can understand them and what they've created. In order to do that you have to be relatable to people, and understand people, you can only do that by being around them.

That's why anime in the beginning like Dragonball Z for instance are so relatable and attracted people to anime. Besides the unrealistic fighting the characters seemed real, they have a human element to them. Every anime I've seen recently(new ones in lets say the past 2 years) while some have good stories, the characters aren't real. It's just seems like everyone is following a blueprint on how a anime character should be, and you end up seeing what seems like the same character personality types over and over.

He's real for saying this, if anime is going to make any type of progression it has to get out of the box it's trapped in. Enough of the cliches.

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No you moron, it means someone who stays indoors, isolated from others, spending their time on video games, anime, and the internet..... A nerd basically
No need to be so rude to him. You're not really bright yourself as we both know.

OT: mr. Miyazaki is such an inspiring mind to me. It's true that most anime/manga characters are all duplicants with a typical personality. In-depth development of characters' personality and behaviour is farfetched in most new anime/manga. Good thread also.

Last edited: