Passion

Legendary
Kin
50💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've been on a hiatus from watching anime and truth to be told, I haven't watched anime for around three years time. I recently took time to watch the new One Piece movie and I noticed an annoying anime trope upon reflecting on my memories of what I had once watched. I realise that this might not apply to every anime out there, but it's still obnoxious imho

SPOILER ALERT. For those of you that aren't aware in the new Film Z, a person called Zephyr encounters Strawhat Luffy's crew and rest of the film is Luffy and Zephyr colliding. What bothered me so much about the movie was that Luffy could've been a carbon copy of almost any other anime main character with values and Zephyr could've been any other villain with values.

You could've had Naruto and Pain fighting and it would've followed the same formula e.g. Villain with principles and values appears -> Hero getting his ass handed to him by the villain -> Villain keeps pondering ethical questions while handing the ass -> After a rematch or two villain loses -> I dedicated my life to this cause but suddenly, I realize you're right regards villain -> moral of the story: values that protagonist represent prevail

Does this formula bother anyone else? Am I only nitpicking for expecting any individuality from the main characters? Does anime really need a moral of the story?

Tsuki

Supreme
Kin
1,154💸
Kumi
30,042💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah I get you, I usually feel like it's mainly that way in the movies. Whereas when we watch the serie (One Piece and others) then it is more complex. It's actually interesting to watch some film where the "villain" end up being on the right.

Passion

Legendary
Kin
50💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah, I'm tired of the villain losing because it's the Main Character duty to put them down.
Take all of my internet respect for your snarky and clever comment. Instead of trying to be edgy and quirky xDDDD you could've contributed to a discussion instead of looking like an ass when called out.

Yeah I get you, I usually feel like it's mainly that way in the movies. Whereas when we watch the serie (One Piece and others) then it is more complex. It's actually interesting to watch some film where the "villain" end up being on the right.
Wasn't it the same with Pain? Maybe the length of the fight is the problem so that makes it get dragged out and the participants are forced into a discourse. Of course a villain for the sake of villainy is kind of tedious, but at least they could uphold their values and stay true to their cause.

Last edited:

Passion

Legendary
Kin
50💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You do realize that this counts for everything out there, such as movies, shows, books etc and not only anime. :|
Yes, but I feel it's more prevalent in anime than in other media. I don't recall O'Brien saying '**** big brother' and letting Winston Smith go about hating the system. I might be biased but I feel as if in the other media the villains serve more purpose than just stating 'Hey, the protagonist still thinks like this and apparently his values are better than this other guy's'. :|

WoldOfFingo

Regular
Kin
8💸
Kumi
1💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
U could have used a better example.
Luffy was only fighting Z because he tried to destroy his ship.
The only reason he went after Z is because he made some of his crew younger.
'If I can't even defeat you there is no way I can ever become pirate King'. He didn't really care for Z plans to 'destroy the world'.