0⚔️
Awards
AlterOne

Chapter 14

---------------------------------------------

Past Chapters

--------------------------

A Message To The Readers

Sorry for having dropped off the face of the earth these past few months. I've just been unable to write this story for a while. It's not that I was unmotivated, it's just that now that the story is beginning to move along, I realized just how much this is going to have to be, and the thought of writing on just put me off. Though I guess a just as pressing problem was that I wasn't satisfied with my writing. I believed that it was terrible and that my style was not drawn out enough, I just said what happened and didn't delve deeper into it. Which can be good, being direct, but some people may want to understand the characters more, and it adds another layer to the story to get a bit more inner monologue and see the gears working in the heads of the characters and that's something I've tried here. Now I don't know when I am going to finish the next chapter, but hopefully it won't be another two months.Enjoy.

In the early morning hours he felt it. Orojin had strengthened his connection with this particular Veldt due to the nature of his mission, and now, he felt his agent slip away. No, not slip. That would imply a more intimate end. The life line of his Veldt was cut abruptly. There was little doubt that he’d been killed. Deep in meditation beside him, the Dev’adon no doubt had also sensed it. Yet he did not stir. He did not open his eyes or give indication that anything was amiss. With no windows in the room, the only light came by way of a single candle between Orojin and the Dev’adon. Orojin watched as the flickering light shone against his lord’s face. He knew better than to interrupt.

The Commissioner’s night had been anything but peaceful. He’d been unable to get back to sleep and word coming out of District 27 was that two Supervisors are now dead. He couldn’t help but believe that Malk was to blame. The possibility had not escaped him that Malk had not wanted him in the room because he had already killed the two men but hadn’t removed their bodies. On top of that there was still the org problem. Attacks between the Aduri Syndicate and the Terragotto had not declined as anticipated upon the introduction of the Veldt into the city’s police force. If anything, the Veldt’s arrival to the scene has only made the orgs more persistent, wanting to make an obvious show of being able to continue on as usual while faced with such a threat.

Persistent. He found himself going back to that word as he perused the morning paper. If he’d been persistent, kept at it, he may have been able to get somewhere with the Adregi situation. Now he’s been shot while at a play with none other than the son of one of the Syndicate’s most powerful leaders, Nikita Vikaeli. If he’d been persistent, he could have gotten Ceverza to keep an eye on Akko. Perhaps then they’d be closer to finding out what’s going on there.

“I was going to wait until you finished, but it looks like your thoughts are too deep for my patience.”

Destnol looked up to see his cousin standing in the doorway.

“What is it?”

“Just got word from the Veldt. Orojin is on his way up,” Rager stated. He turned around and looked down the hall before addressing Destnol again, “In fact, he’s already here.”

Detective Rager stepped out of the way and allowed the Veldt leader to walk into view. He was flanked by his usual pair of Veldt guards. Their masked faces always made the Commissioner uneasy. He’d thought since first setting eyes on the Veldt that only a certain type of person hid behind a mask. He found himself echoing the words of Princess Lamia upon his many inquiries, that discussion is for another day, today is not it. He stood up as Orojin stepped into the room, extending his hand in greeting.

“Orojin, what brings you by this morning?” the Commissioner asked. “You weren’t due here until the afternoon.”

“There’s something you and I have to discuss,” Orojin replied. He turned to Rager standing in the doorway, “In private.”

Rager nodded in understanding and directed his next statement at Destnol, “I’ll be back around later.”

He stepped out of view with the Veldt following behind, closing the door as they went. Destnol gestured to the chair across from his desk, offering Orojin to sit down.

“That’s alright,” Orojin replied. “I don’t plan to be long. I’ve just got a few questions.”

“Questions?” Destnol repeated, himself taking a seat. “About what exactly?”

“Agent 159,” Orojin said. “I want to know what’s happened to him.”

“That’s funny,” the Commissioner replied. “I was wondering the same thing. I had the upper hand against Malk and your man jumps out and attacks me.”

“From his report which he filed immediately after, my agent stated that your arrival was unplanned and abrupt. You gave my side no indication of your intentions. We’re supposed to be working together in this Commissioner.”

“All the more reason for your Veldt to have taken my abruptness as a sign of urgency and aided me in subduing the Alderman.”

“To what end Commissioner?” Orojin proposed. “You’d have had him blow his cover while having no idea of the situation?”

Destnol tightened his hand into a fist, “Two Supervisors from his district are dead.”

“Something that I’m sure you didn’t know until this morning,” Orojin replied. “Word from officials in the district put the murders at separate locations, not the District Hall that you visited. Which leads to the question of why you went there in the first place.”

“As if you don’t already know.”

“I can guess,” Orojin stated. “The late Alderman Dueor was a father figure to you. Your rival took his place. It’s only natural that you’d want to find someone to blame. Your old friend Malk Nazore was the obvious choice.”

“Are you trying to say you don’t think he did it?”

“What I’m saying is that your feelings could get in the way of reason. You were working on little to no evidence to support your claim when you confronted Nazore. I understand how you could have come to such a conclusion, but you have to remember that Dueor’s health was already failing.”

“How are you so sure that Malk didn’t murder him?” Destnol asked. “That maybe he even caused his illness in the first place?”

“Because my agent told me as much.”

“You ever thought that maybe your man lied?”

Orojin’s eyes narrowed as he looked down at the Commissioner. When he spoke, he did little to mask his anger. “You dare accuse a Veldt of treachery!”

Destnol rose from the chair and put his fists on the desk as he leaned forward. “I accuse him of making a fool of you if you think Malk Nazore didn’t kill Alderman Dueor just like he killed those two Supervisors. He turned on us. He betrayed you and tried to kill me.”

“If that were true,” Orojin said, returning the Commissioner’s burning gaze. “Then why are you alive, yet he isn’t?”

“Agent 159 is dead?” Destnol replied. “How did it happen?”

“I was hoping you would tell me,” Orojin said. “That’s why I came here in the first place.”

Destnol returned to his chair, “After Agent 159 got the jump on me, the next thing I know I’m waking up in my bed.”

“He made his report shortly after,” Orojin said. “That leaves hours in between your encounter and his death.”

“Orojin, I don’t want to go singing the same old song, but Malk’s got to be the one behind this.”

“Do you really think Alderman Nazore could kill a Veldt?” Orojin asked, not convinced.

“Alone? No,” Destnol stated. “But with half the district’s police force, I sure as hell do.”

Her red hair flowed with the wind from the slight breeze. The morning light seemed dull against Nandia’s vibrant face as they walked through the gardens. Merik enjoyed these moments. Sadly, these days were few and far in between now with everything that’s been going on lately.

“I heard about the shooting that happened last night.”

Her words broke the silence. Merik smiled, hiding his annoyance at having now heard her the first time. “I’m sorry, what’d you say?”

“The assassination attempt last night on Nikki Vikaeli,” Nandia said.

His smile faltered. He didn’t like when she wanted to discuss org business, something she’d taken to doing often. “What about it?”

“Is Akko alright?”

This time he couldn’t disguise his annoyance behind a smile. “Why do you care?”

“You’ve obviously got an interest in him,” she replied. “He has some purpose in this organization, so why shouldn’t I care.”

“Because it’s none of your business,” Merik said. “Org business does not mean Nandia business.”

In response, Nandia folded her arms and gave Merik her dirtiest glare. He turned away, gritting his teeth.

“Don’t look at me like that,” he said. “The fool is fine.”

“You think he’s a fool for saving Nikki’s life?”

Merik whirled around on her, “Yes! Yes, I do,” he answered. “What sense does it make to save a rival?”

“Nikki isn’t his rival, he’s yours,” Nandia corrected. “Akko doesn’t seem like the type of guy to carry on your little pissing match with Nikki.”

Merik waved her comment away, “Yeah well, he’s still a fool. A gullible, directionless fool. The idea I told you about—all I had to do was put on some puppy dog eyes and spin a little tale and the guy accepted just like that. He’ll be easy to control. The guy’s never done anything on his own accord.”

“What makes you say that?”

“What, do you think I’ve just been gazing in the man’s eyes this whole time?” Merik replied. “We’ve talked. He only joined the military because of his father. Then when he gets out, he comes to Alter City to become a fighter because his brother, who was already one, encouraged him.”

“Well what do you expect?” Nandia said. “Look at his father. Does he look like a guy who allows options for his children?”

She had a point to an extent, Merik would give her that. “Let me just say this,” he said. “If there is any truth to that prophecy, infinite power couldn’t have come to a more credulous man.”

Malk hadn’t wasted any time moving into the Alderman’s Mansion. The late Dueor’s belonging were still being hauled out as Lars Vikaeli and his men pulled up to the gate. They’d doubled the guards outside the gate since Lars had last seen, with four men now standing out front and currently blocking their entrance into the estate. The gate guard leaned out of his booth window to address Lars’ driver.

“Sorry sir, the Alderman isn’t accepting visitors at this time.”

At this, Lars rolled down his window, “Is there a problem?”

“The Alderm—,” the gate guard stopped midsentence upon seeing who was in the backseat. His stumbled over his words when he tried to speak. “I—Alderman—allow—said—”

Lars put a hand up to stop him, “You’ll be opening that gate now won’t you?”

“Y-Yes, sir.”

The gate guard ducked back into the booth and opened the gate. The guards moved out of the way and allowed the car to go through. Going up the driveway, security personnel could be seen patrolling the mansion. Lars had no doubt that something had happened to put Malk on edge. Upon exiting the car, Lars and his three Aduri made their way up the stairs where a young Alderman’s Aide stood waiting at the door.

“Where’s Alderman Nazore?” Lars asked.

The aide gave a polite smile, “I’m sorry, but Alderman Nazore is unavailable at this time.”

Lars looked to the nearest Aduri and without a word, his man walked up to the aide and slugged him in the jaw. The aide stumbled back, but was quickly pulled forward as Lars grabbed him by the shirt and brought him close.

“You will find that for me, the Alderman is always available,” Lars said. “Now tell me where he is.”

Holding his face with one hand, the aide points down the corridor and answers in a fast manner, “Keep along this hallway. Up the stairs, take a right, and it’s the last door straight ahead.”

“See, that wasn’t too hard now was it?” Lars pushed the aide away and started to walk away, but turned back. “Do you even know who I am?”

“Uh, no, not really,” the aide replied. “I’ve only just transferred to this district from—”

“Boys,” Lars cut in. “I’m going to have a chat with the Alderman. How about you guys teach this young man the way of the land?”

The Citepa leaves behind the sound of fist against flesh as his Aduri work over the aide. He follows the directions and arrives at the large double doors to the Alderman’s private chambers. He started to knock, then saw that the deep grooves of the ornate door were lines with silver and gold. No doubt it would make a beautiful sight when touched by the rays of morning’s light.

“Good to know the district’s tax dollars went to something useful I see,” Lars said wrly. He rapped his knuckles against the stained wood. “Malk! Alderman Nazore, I know you’re here. Come on and open the door.”

He waited for a response. It came. Not from beyond the door, but from behind in an answer of cold steel against the back of his head.

“Hands up.”

Lars scoffed at the command and made to turn around but was roughly kept in place. The gun pressed harder into the back of his skull.

“I said hands up.”

“Malk what do you mean by this?”

“I mean put your hands in the air.”

The sound of the gun cocking behind him carried the Alderman’s words. Lars complied.

“Now slowly move away from the d—”

Before the words were out of the Alderman’s mouth, Lars had stripped the gun away from Malk and they stood now with the roles reversed.

“Don’t look so surprised Malk,” Lars said. “Not like this was my first time having a gun to my head. Now about that…”

Only now did Lars see that the look in Malk’s eyes was not that of shock, but of fear. Though not of him. Malk’s eyes darted every which way, only cutting to the gun totting man that stood before him for the shortest of glances. Lars lowered the gun.

“Malk?” Lars said, as if calling out into a dark place, unsure if what you seek is actually present. “Talk to me. What’s going on? What’s got you so worked up?”

Malk turned his fretting eyes back to face front, acknowledging Lars’ presence once more. Even then, it was off. He stared at Lars Vikaeli as if scrutinizing his very existence. Lars, looking to ease the situation with his friend, put the gun away and gave a deep sigh.

“I haven’t seen a face like that since my time on the Eastern Front,” he said.

Malk’s expression seemed to relax upon hearing Lars’ words. The tenseness of his body fell away and he dropped back into his usual demeanor as a smirk formed upon his lips.

“I wasn’t sure it was you.”

“What made you change your mind?”

“I heard he could manipulate people from a distance and make them his puppets,” Malk replied. “But I doubt he’s able to copy your personality. You never miss a chance to reference the Front.”

“Well now that leads to more questions than anything,” Lars stated.

Malk put his hand up to silence Lars as he looked around, “You hear that?”

“What?”

The Alderman rushed to the end of the hall and looked around the corner.

“Where’s the Veldt?” Lars called out to Malk’s back.

Malk turned around and walked back towards Lars, “He’s dead.”

Not sure he had heard correctly, Lars waited until Malk was back in front of him. “What did you say?”

“I said he’s ****ing dead.”

The nervousness and fear still were present on Malk’s face, though he was doing his best to contain his composure.

Lars shrugged, “That solves my problem. Dux Nikita has been on my ass wondering why I’ve been allowing you to run around with a Veldt shadow.”

Malk grabbed Lars by the shoulders and brought him close. “No, it doesn’t solve the problem. The problem comes from the person who killed him.”

With Lars’ full attention, Malk went on to explain in full the events that had transpired the day before. From the district meeting and the death Tulden, to the sudden arrival of the Commissioner, and the subsequent capture of a young female assassin, Malk spoke in detail. When he got to the part where he and the Veldt tortured the young woman, he looked at Lars’ expression for a sign of disapproval or disgust at his actions. What he saw was a moment of surprise followed by a slight nod of acceptance to his actions. Malk continued on to the arrival of the Xenator and the fight that ensued between him and the Veldt, informing Lars that once it became obvious that the Veldt would lose, he made his escape, but he believed without a doubt that the Veldt died there. When all was said, Lars folded his arms and considered what had been told to him.

“So this additional security and paranoia are because you think the Xenator is looking to kill you?”

“Of course I do!” Malk exclaimed. “He must’ve been looking to complete a contract by Tulden or the Terragotto.”

Lars was skeptical to say the least. “From what you told me, it sounds like the Xenator was looking to retrieve one of his people, the female that you captured. I also highly doubt that the Terraggotto were behind this.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because if the Terraggotto had brought the Xenator to Alter City, they’d have used him for the far more important assassination attempt that went down last night.”

Malk hadn’t heard anything about such events. “How important are we talking here?”

“As in our future boss important,” Lars stated. “Nikki Vikaeli was at some play last night and one of the actors went off script. Next thing you know, someone’s been shot but it’s not Nikki.” Lars shrugged. “Not saying I’m not slightly disappointed.”

“So who was the unlucky bastard that was killed instead?”

“Oh he didn’t die,” Lars clarified. “From what I’ve been told, he actually saved Nikki by jumping in the way of the bullet. It was that formist fighter who the Lamberts ended up getting their hands on. Can’t think of the name right now…Argo…Marko…”

Malk knew who he was talking about. They hadn’t spoken since the night his brother was killed. He’d gone to the funeral with the others and did his best to remain as he usually would, but he never met his friend’s eye that day. He never got a straight answer on who actually killed Ulrich. He’d been the one to introduce him to the Syndicate leadership. Some part of him felt that he was to blame for the death of his brother. Many times he wished he’d called, hoping to be told that it was all his fault, that if he’d never offered to help, Ulrich would still be alive. But he never did, because on that day, he believed their friendship would end. If in reality, it already had, he had chosen not to accept it. Instead believing that with the words unspoken, their friendship would remain. At that moment, he made his decision, and he’d face whatever came of it.

“Akko Adregi,” Malk said. “The person you’re thinking of is Akko Adregi.”

He leaned back in his chair as he perused the day’s paper. After a quick visit to the newspaper office by the Aduri, the assassination attempt was shuffled into the middle of the paper, while headlines of Duke Huffrey of Westigs and his courts’ arrival blanketed the front page. It never gave a name, and was purposely vague, stating only that a bullet struck Alter City’s national championship contender while adding misleading lines and heavily implying a prop malfunction. Just as they wanted.

“Father, I don’t like this at all.”

Nikita Vikaeli placed the newspaper on the desk and looked to his son sitting across from him. “This is about your counterpart right?”

“Merik’s a scheming bastard father,” Nikki declared. “He’s never been content with his position in this city, always trying to undermine us whenever possible. He’s plotting something and it involves Adregi, I know it.”

“I’m sure he is Nikki,” Nikita replied. “As to what it is, I have no idea, but that’s where patience comes in. We watch. We wait.”

Nikki gave a sigh of discontent, “Alright father.”

He started to leave when a knock came at the door. The voice from the other side was that of their Senior Butler.

“Sir, I’ve a message for you from a Mister Adregi.”

Nikita and his son exchanged a glance before Nikki called the man in. The butler placed the note on the desk and bowed out of the room. It had been scrawled on a notecard. Nikita took the card and read the short message that it held.

Let’s talk.

AUTHOR NOTES

Join the AlterOne Fan Group: Stay up to date on chapter releases for AlterOne by subscribing to [ ] in the AlterOne group which can be found [ ]. The group also will be home to short stories and brief histories about the world of AlterOne that will be posted in between chapter releases to give you more insight on the world and entertain you all the more as well as concept artwork for a number of characters.

Read the AlterOne Information Index: To help readers understand some of the dialogue and the structure of the world, I have created this index which will be regularly updated.Check it out [ ]

Contest Voting: The FanFiction writers have a monthly contest to choose the best FanFiction. It can be found in this section [ ]. If you do not feel mine is the best then vote for the one you favor but we would like your participation and feedback for the contest.

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wonderfully written as always, man:) I like the way you progress multiple subplots in each chapter.

More conspiracies from withinO_O Wonder if Malk really has a part in these assassinations, and if he doesn't, who does. And what did Merik mean when he said Akko had infinite power? Speaking of whom, I wonder what he wants to talk to Nikki about, too.

Again, I'm fascinated by how much depth and expansion you've given this world of yours, man*_* I focus too much on my characters to possibly create a universe this wide and complex.

Winter Savior

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Wonderfully written as always, man:) I like the way you progress multiple subplots in each chapter.

More conspiracies from withinO_O Wonder if Malk really has a part in these assassinations, and if he doesn't, who does. And what did Merik mean when he said Akko had infinite power? Speaking of whom, I wonder what he wants to talk to Nikki about, too.

Again, I'm fascinated by how much depth and expansion you've given this world of yours, man*_* I focus too much on my characters to possibly create a universe this wide and complex.
The way I write these chapters it's kind of like a new episode each chapter. Numerous plotlines going on at once and all over the city so I guess that adds to your statement about the vastness of the world.

But yeah, more conspiracies abound! Guys like Lars and Malk are powerful in their own right, but in regards to top level stop like what is going on with the higher ups or their plans, they only know bits and pieces if anything at all. Malk runs the district for the Syndicate, while Lars is the background muscle and force of the Syndicate in the district, both working hand in hand. I didn't state it in the story, but I wanted it to be kind of implied that Malk finished off the other Supervisor b/c he was a supporter of Tulden. It didn't come up in his conversation with Lars because Lars was likely there to do the deed.

Bits and pieces of the prophecy will come out as the story moves along. Now you've just found out why the Syndicate had their eyes on Akko. And about Akko, you may find that he isn't just a pawn as the story has been leading you to believe.

But I thank you for your continued support of this story and I do really appreciate your feedback. :D

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The way I write these chapters it's kind of like a new episode each chapter. Numerous plotlines going on at once and all over the city so I guess that adds to your statement about the vastness of the world.

But yeah, more conspiracies abound! Guys like Lars and Malk are powerful in their own right, but in regards to top level stop like what is going on with the higher ups or their plans, they only know bits and pieces if anything at all. Malk runs the district for the Syndicate, while Lars is the background muscle and force of the Syndicate in the district, both working hand in hand. I didn't state it in the story, but I wanted it to be kind of implied that Malk finished off the other Supervisor b/c he was a supporter of Tulden. It didn't come up in his conversation with Lars because Lars was likely there to do the deed.

Bits and pieces of the prophecy will come out as the story moves along. Now you've just found out why the Syndicate had their eyes on Akko. And about Akko, you may find that he isn't just a pawn as the story has been leading you to believe.

But I thank you for your continued support of this story and I do really appreciate your feedback. :D
Certainly is, man, I'll tell you that;)

Hmm, I see. Well, that's certainly a nice piece of insight, man:) And yeah, I always kinda saw him as the protagonist, so I was sure Akko had something else to do with the story*_* lol

Kuroi Honoo

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Do not ever put yourself down and besides in my honest opinion, your writing is exceptional. However, I do understand your point of view with character depth or scenario descriptions as I myself have dealt with that. I have a fanfiction I’m writing which has since been delayed and I’ve also took my time with it to develop the depth in character detail and story itself. So I applaud you for attempting to make your story better ;)

It’s unfortunate that the police were unable to keep better tabs on the Adregi and the Commissioner's wound doesn’t help either. It’s just insane how one of the Veldt assaulted the Commissioner yet in turn hes unable to do anything about it really. It appears as though Malk is the one to blame for everything lol Wow, so Destnol is assuming that at least half of the police department are betrayers. It just goes to show how corrupt people are in this story. And so it appears that Merik is jealous of Nandia, to his belief that she is I suppose attracted to Akko. Hopefully Akko sees through Merik sooner than later. Lars is indeed a brute, ordering his men to attack Malk’s aid who seemingly was defenseless. Now the situation took an interesting twist as I thought one of them was going to die lol And Malk is a really messed up individual. Man these Vikaeli are surviving one way or the other but I liked the ending as Akko will be making his reappearance :) I thought you did a superb job and this story does seem far from ending as there are so many loose ends and possibilities ;)