Yeah right

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Okay. Say they will make a Hollywood movie of an anime.

Do you want an all white cast, with maybe one Asian.

An all Asian cast, only.

Or all Asian cast with the lead being white. (Star power)

Or, since this is the United States, a mix of everyone? But maybe the lead be Asian.

I was thinking about cowboy bebop, everyone can be a different ethnicity. Kinda like how rogue one was diverse.

Quanta

Kin
1💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Depends heavily on the anime. Sometimes live action doesn't even work.
Of those that work e.g. Death Note, an ethnically diverse cast would actually be a more accurate representation of the original manga

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It only matters if it's actually important to the source material. What's more important is the likability of the actor and if they can capture their character. Race = different looks, and I suppose if they're not exactly in their likeness, it might ruin the character.

Still, it's kind of hard. Casting without being exclusionary all while trying to be natural and not forcing any racial quotas, that is.

An all Asian cast with the lead being white doesn't sit well with me. It kind of says, here's your token service.

I think the solution is to forget about the lack of diversity though. And people should get the mentality, if they want to be represented, they gotta try to represent themselves.

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Let’s stop the bullshit, very rarely do anime/manga artists draw their characters with Japanese facial features. They believe that white people are more attractive, and therefore they should honestly cast white people. If they don’t love themselves enough to depict it on paper then they can’t go bitching about Asians not being represented. That’s my opinion though.

Yeah right

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Let’s stop the bullshit, very rarely do anime/manga artists draw their characters with Japanese facial features. They believe that white people are more attractive, and therefore they should honestly cast white people. If they don’t love themselves enough to depict it on paper then they can’t go bitching about Asians not being represented. That’s my opinion though.
Though I don’t agree 100%, maybe we, the United States, the prime standard of the world, can fix the issue with some diversity in their intellectual properties.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think the cast should be whatever depicts the manga characters most accurately.

Your example of an all asian-cast with a lead white male has already been done before and flopped horrendously. Dragon Ball Evolution.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,661💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
It's not because they don't find themselves attractive. It's because anime/manga used to have a very hard time becoming popular in the west due to cultural differences. So it became commonplace for anime/manga artists to draw their characters with western-traits to increase the appeal if they want the manga to have that kind of reach someday.

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Though I don’t agree 100%, maybe we, the United States, the prime standard of the world, can fix the issue with some diversity in their intellectual properties.
If the Japanese manga artist decide to draw their main characters with “Asian” facial features then sure but if not, screw them. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing the Bleach live action on Netflix and they have an Asian playing Ichigo.

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's not because they don't find themselves attractive. It's because anime/manga used to have a very hard time becoming popular in the west due to cultural differences. So it became commonplace for anime/manga artists to draw their characters with western-traits to increase the appeal if they want the manga to have that kind of reach someday.
I know that but my opinion isn’t changing.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If the Japanese manga artist decide to draw their main characters with “Asian” facial features then sure but if not, screw them. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing the Bleach live action on Netflix and they have an Asian playing Ichigo.
Ichigo isn't Asian? Or were you joking?

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He lives in Japan, iirc, but visually he isn’t Asian.
Well I guess that's up to interpretation. But even still, manga and cartoon characters aren't accurate visual representations of real people; they're simplistic interpretations. But in the context of the story, Ichigo is most definitely an Asian.

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Idk, a lot of anime characters do not at all look Asian to me unless it's a more detailed manga. Just let them be whatever the hell their skin color looks ig. They have a ton of variance in hair & eye color regardless of skin color, so those really shouldn't factor into what race they are.

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well I guess that's up to interpretation. But even still, manga and cartoon characters aren't accurate visual representations of real people; they're simplistic interpretations. But in the context of the story, Ichigo is most definitely an Asian.
Wrong, Ichigo’s dad is a white man and his mother’s white also. And so are both of his sisters. Sure he’s Asian by citizenship but visually he’s white.

So the basis of your opinion is false, you admit to that, and still cling to the opinion? What idiocy.
Wrong, the basis of my opinion is true. They’ve already passed the point to where they’ve made an impact on the west and abroad. Therefore they can depict main characters as Asian and still get pull and if not, they’re big locally. You’re the idiot.

And like I said, even other Asians prefer seeing white characters than those that resemble them. So therefore, they hate themselves, like I said earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,661💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Wrong, the basis of my opinion is true. They’ve already passed the point to where they’ve made an impact on the west and abroad. Therefore they can depict main characters as Asian and still get pull and if not, they’re big locally. You’re the idiot.

And like I said, even other Asians prefer seeing white characters than those that resemble them. So therefore, they hate themselves, like I said earlier.
You admit that what you said was wrong in your previous post, and then double back and use it again as an argument. This is nonsense.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wrong, Ichigo’s dad is a white man and his mother’s white also. And so are both of his sisters. Sure he’s Asian by citizenship but visually he’s white.
Both who have Japanese names. If Kubo wanted his characters to be white or American, I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have made a manga based around Japanese myth, set in Japanese locations, with Japanese characters.

The only "white" characters in the manga were the Vandenreich because they were based off of German culture. But again, manga simplicity and Kubo's drawing style doesn't set apart different ethnicities.

Most manga normally don't have this contrast. Take Death Note for example. Light Yamagi is Japanese and L is supposed to be European, but you can't tell the difference.

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You admit that what you said was wrong in your previous post, and then double back and use it again as an argument. This is nonsense.
Just because I chose not to address what I disagreed with when I initially responded to you doesn’t mean that I admitted I was wrong. :sdo:

Both who have Japanese names. If Kubo wanted his characters to be white or American, I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have made a manga based around Japanese myth, set in Japanese locations, with Japanese characters.

The only "white" characters in the manga were the Vandenreich because they were based off of German culture. But again, manga simplicity and Kubo's drawing style doesn't set apart different ethnicities.

Most manga normally don't have this contrast. Take Death Note for example. Light Yamagi is Japanese and L is supposed to be European, but you can't tell the difference.
Stop, that’s a reach. Mangakas can do what they want, and if they want white characters living in Japan then that’s what’s going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Stop, that’s a reach. Mangakas can do what they want, and if they want white characters living in Japan then that’s what’s going to happen.
So do you believe that Kubo intended to have Ichigo be a white man with living in Japan with a Japanese name with parents who also have Japanese names?