Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The Akatsuki proves itself to be an interesting group.

Not only in general, but in terms of their power dynamics. By this i mean that their strongest members have the most fixed power levels while their supposedly weakest members have the greatest potential. For example, Hidan can be beaten with a kunai but would survive tailed beast bomb attacks.

I suppose this is explained by the reality that when one works towards a certain power, they decrease their ability to achieve other powers. Quite literally, the more time one trains in the eight extremities internal fist the less one trains and can train in chemistry. I suppose this is explained in economics theory as the trade-off phenomenon. This is when choosing one thing is not only choosing that thing, but also choosing not to take other options and alternatives. Now in economics, this is an immediate effect of sacrifice. But when it comes to people, this is not only immediate but also life term. Like, when a person trains in boxing, they not only fail to train in science, but their ability to train in science is forever diminished. Essentially, it can be said that attaining any ability works by restricting your potential and focussing it, effectively selling it to buy that ability. A normal person starts out being capable of applying themselves in any field, but not to a great extent. When they train in any art, their potential is concentrated into single field, reducing their grasp of other fields.

In Akatsuki, this is perfectly exenplified with their strongest member, the SPoP. With their absolute power, the SPoP are always high level and can never be taken by basic methods. However, the same absoluteness of power means very little more can be done by them besides the basic stuff. For example, the Animal Path will never get stronger summons simply because of a stronger Nagato. The summons are the best in the world, but can hardly be/do more than their level. The only boost they could have is directly equivalent to the level of the user of SPoP, such as a bigger missile from Machine Path whose size is directly proportional to the user of the Machine Path. Contrast this with Hidan, who could be taken by a kunai but would survive a Particle Style or Beast Bomb that are far above his individual level. A balance between them could be considered with Sasori or Obito. The strings lf Sasori and the warping of Obito grant them an automatic good starting level because of their utility, but their power can be improved drastically with a tailed beast summon or the body of a powerful foe.

I was gonna use that as the intro for a thread focussing on Kakuzu, but i figure it is worthy of discussion on its own. I think I'll also link it to a normal vs boosted thread i was planning.

So what are your inclinations relative to this topic? Can it be said that the more powerful a character starts off as, the less potential they have with their ability and that the less powerful a character starts off as, the greater their potential with their abilities? If not for all characters, then at least with the Akatsuki?