African Children Are Mining Cobalt For Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony, VW.....

Shig

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
just be happy you were born into better circumstances
as long as people keep consuming products made by companies who use nefarious means of production then we all share a portion of the guilt
You must be registered for see images
As disturbing as it is, I have to agree with you on this for the most part.

Child labour isn't a new thing, and I do agree that it's messed up and essentially slavery. We're appalled at the sight of it, and yet avid consumerism drives us to still buy the newest tech product launched by these very companies. Products that have become essential sadly to say. There will be consequences, probably minor considering the fact that they're financial giants, and I doubt they'll actually penalize them in any other way than a fine. Even if they did, it'll probably be a person/group of people that take the fall while the rest carry on with their deeds.

The bottom line is that this thing is bound to happen when we basically throw all of our earnings into the newest tech products, it creates demand. Demand requires faster delivery, faster delivery means more work, more work means more workers, more workers mean more money. So why spend more money on actual adult workers when you can have this sort of work force, essentially costless and as efficient as you need when it really comes down to it.

Yes, we live in a messed up world, and I agree that companies are evil, however we played our part in this too, indirectly.

Reactions: Ciao

Lelouch Le Brittania

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You should get slapped for how stupid that comment was.
The fact that there are people that find such a grotesque topic something funny to troll about just makes me sick. SMH.

OT: Maybe if corporations that transgress actually receive punishment, maybe just maybe basic human rights wouldn't be trampled on? Or am I just being too idealistic.....

Reactions: Lightbringer

Adam Driver

Legendary
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
just be happy you were born into better circumstances
as long as people keep consuming products made by companies who use nefarious means of production then we all share a portion of the guilt
You must be registered for see images
Exactly when this is always brought up its "oh it's so sad" and say these things without feeling or stating any guilt we have ourselves considering we use the products. Either accept the guilt that we obviously share and move on or throw away the products and do something about these terrible things happening over there instead of throwing a pity party.

Reactions: Ciao

Yubel

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What stops these companies from paying for machines that do the digging instead? Yeah though, this sucks and I feel bad for having an Iphone 6 right now.

Filosoofis

Banned
Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No genocides? Israel's yearly genocides of Palestinians

The genocide in Dafur, the wars in Syria and Iraq. Yes open wars and genocides are happening, the world has not progressed at all. In the 20th century(not that long ago) over 250 million people were killed.

It isn't just about being dumb or corrupt, the world is like the wilderness it isn't fair. You think the developed countries are gonna stand by and let the developing countries develop? Absolutely not, they will do what they can to make sure that those countries remain as their primary suppliers of raw materials not more expensive and profitable manufactured goods. Neo colonization is what is happening. It is a double problem the poor countries suffer from corrupt leaders and also malicious foreign agencies.

I got a half Russian half Palestinian female friend and as much as she hates Israel and how they are racist to Palestinians by her words she would never say it is a genocide. Search up genocides through history they were way bigger than this kind of stuff.

Also what is happening in the middle-east is all thanks to murica. It is bad and I hope ISIS will be defeated one day but it will be long from now. Compare all of this syrian civil war stuff to just German casualties in ww2 alone and you can see it isn't as bad as back then.

Sorry for spelling mistakes or weird sentences kinda hard to type this through my phone browser

Filosoofis

Banned
Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
This is why. They don't give two shits about the children except when it comes to business. Children shouldn't even work at all this is sick.
Agreed but we had it too 2 centuries back. And since Africa lacks so much behind cause of their own progression and our invasions it will take some long time before it goes away

Filosoofis

Banned
Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You should get slapped for how stupid that comment was.
You should stop being such a dramatic ***** it is how the world works. You think I believe it is fair how it goes in Africa? No of course not but we can't do anything about it. We already give Alot of money so they can maintain stable countries without poverty. What if we decided to not buy resources? It would mean they would lose alot of money. Just search up the exports of most African countries. Without us buying their stuff they would destroy their economy.Also am typing this through mobile browser so if I made any mistakes sorry

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You should stop being such a dramatic ***** it is how the world works. You think I believe it is fair how it goes in Africa? No of course not but we can't do anything about it. We already give Alot of money so they can maintain stable countries without poverty. What if we decided to not buy resources? It would mean they would lose alot of money. Just search up the exports of most African countries. Without us buying their stuff they would destroy their economy.Also am typing this through mobile browser so if I made any mistakes sorry
I honestly don't even know where to begin with your comment. You know nothing about economy, capitalism, poverty, or how the world works. It's not just a simple "oh well that's how it is so f*ck it."

It has been proven countless and countless times that simply giving money to a poor country only makes things worse. Why? Well because of the infrastructure. They don't know what to do with it or spend it properly. Then you have gangs who steal resources, money, and food.

The corporations, such as the Koch Brothers, which have sway over the U.S. government do not want countries in Africa to prosper whatsoever. Those handouts are just meant to appease the public in making it seem like something is done. These corporations come to other countries, such as Sierra Leone, and offer them a service which they will eventually not be able to afford and then leave them in debt, essentially owning them because they'll never be able to pay it back. They can then take advantage of these countries and extract their resources for an absurdly low price and sell it off millions of times more than they bought it for.....like diamonds.

The people of those countries go as far as creating labor camps, doing the most extreme jobs imaginable, even killing, just to find these resources because their country is poor and that's the only hope they see in being able to provide for themselves or their family. The country is deadlocked in debt and has no way of coming out of it.

So the question is, what to do? Well first and foremost is to be aware of the situation, to have the people in major countries such as the U.S. be a little more active about this and challenge the government to do more than what it's doing now.

The other step, is Grass Roots movements. Activists create movements to change the infrastructure from within by setting up shops, trying to teach the people how to work, sell, and distribute products and also persuade members of that community to take part, essentially forming a stable economy in the process.

But that's not all, you also have to be able to understand their culture and deal with not just economic problems but social problems. For example, in some countries in Africa it is improper for women to sell goods outside of a shop. It's movements like these which do major good in helping a country.

So your comment is nothing short of woefully ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marin

GreyWizard93

Veteran
Kin
4💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Are you? What? EARNING A LIVING? GOOD?,This is good?
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FCKING GOD DAMN MIND??

The youngest kids are as young as 2-3 years old. So you seriously consider this normal? The continent richest in various ores, minerals, diamonds LIVING LIKE THIS??

HAVING A CHILDHOOD LIKE THIS?
What would they be doing if they didn't? Dying penniless with nothing. It's unfortunate their world is like that but if they didn't have this they'd have nothing. Their world can't afford to educate everyone and feed everyone so the lowest have to do something.