[Discussion] Y'all believe in eidetic memory ━ and that many scientific, innovative greats like Nikola Tesla truly possessed it?

Uverdore9

Elite
Kin
799💸
Kumi
397💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'm often filled to the brim with ideas, and extremely unorthodox solutions to problems — but sadly I'm often met with the primordial mental issue of not having the requisite mental flexibility to recall a written piece of information (from a certain wall of text ie., filled with creative divergent information.) to actually cite them without the aid of an additional textbook or supplementary device for that same exact purpose.

So — my question lies in the suppositional claim of these aforementioned individuals claim that they possess such abilities when people like me (and many more who struggle to memorize a single page; if not a quartet of a paragraph) explicitly lack such near superhuman powers like — even a semblance of it. However — my inquisition isn't limited to just that. I'd like to inquire if y'all possess at the least a fragment of such mighty famed abilities or if y'all acclimated that with bone breakin' hardwork or practice or if y'all have some tips to gradually acclimate a sub-par level of such Grade-A Cerebral recall skills.

☆゚.*・。゚ Thoughts? ☆゚.*・。゚

Last edited:

Red-Robin

Regular
Kin
2,922💸
Kumi
14,033💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'm often filled to the brim with ideas, and extremely unorthodox solutions to problems — but sadly I'm often met with the primordial mental issue of not having the requisite mental flexibility to recall a written piece of information (from a certain wall of text ie., filled with creative divergent information.) to actually cite them without the aid of an additional textbook or supplementary device for that same exact purpose.

So — my question lies in the suppositional claim of these aforementioned individuals claim that they possess such abilities when people like me (and many more who struggle to memorize a single page; if not a quartet of a paragraph) explicitly lack such near superhuman powers like — even a semblance of it. However — my inquisition isn't limited to just that. I'd like to inquire if y'all possess at the least a fragment of such mighty famed abilities or if y'all acclimated that with bone breakin' hardwork or practice or if y'all have some tips to gradually acclimate a sub-par level of such Grade-A Cerebral recall skills.

☆゚.*・。゚ Thoughts? ☆゚.*・。゚

"Photogenic memory" is less so the product of gifted functionality by way of capacity that it's often made out to be; that's the otherwise fictional conception of it, or more clearly, it's arguable that it doesn't exist. But what does exist and is something that can be practiced and mastered is techniques that fundamentally change our method of storing information. One such technique is the "Method of Loci," or "Mind Palace technique," which effectively is just a Greek and Roman-based strategy of memory enhancement utilizing the mental visualization of familiar spatial environments as a means to package and store information in a controlled method. This particular technique is used by numerous "memory contest" champions as a means to recall numerical values, faces, lists, directions and even something like the entire contents of a page in a book that they can recite without having physical access to that page after the fact. So while some people might be more receptive or predisposed to this sort of retainment method, it is in fact a technique that any capable individual can practice and master themselves.

You must be registered for see images

There's also something to be said for the way that the modernization of information has impacted the most recent couple generations with regards to memory and information storage. There are a number of studies being conducted on the drastic impact that readily available information by way of digitization has begun to have a reductive impact on the average individual's capacity to remember information to it's exact details. Think of it like phone numbers: Very few people remember an actual phone number anymore because it's something that is remembered for us by our digital devices and is easily applied and used at the push of a button, whereas generations like my parents or their parents can still recite their phone numbers from when they were kids or young adults even all these years later, because it was information that wasn't saved for them anywhere, other than possibly written down somewhere by their own hand, so they had no choice but to learn how to retain it efficiently. Yet in that same market, while someone like my parents can remember phone numbers they had 20+ years ago, they struggle to remember numbers they have now, because they don't have the same need for self-sufficient memorization that they used to. Of course this isn't to suggest that the capacity or availability of memory storage isn't still there, it's just something that isn't avidly practiced as it used to be, so we're seeing a reduction by way of lack of use, not lack of capacity.

People like Nikola Tesla or even Einstein who have both been rumored to have had something akin to a "photogenic memory" more than likely just had very effective and efficient methods of information packaging that allowed them to access it in a familiar manner. Whether they used the Method of Loci specifically or something unique to them, who can say? But it's more likely that it wasn't necessarily a "born gift" that something like photogenic memory is perceived as but just something that they had grown accustomed to doing throughout their years of study and practice in their fields.

It's worth mentioning that I'm not expert nor an avid studier of this subject by any means. These are just some thoughts and details that I've learned about this subject in particular in the past that seemed somewhat relevant to the topic. ✌

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It should be possible as a talent, to have an exceedingly good memory.

To have a completely perfect one goes against the idea of the mind being a warehouse of limited space, but a very good one is logically possible.

I advise against envying others. Such a thing is a thief of your own value and skills.