Kin
664💸
Kumi
6,684💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Currently to travel within the WSE the rules are as follows:

Travelling:

In order to travel, you must pass a set number of landmarks within regions depending on your direction of travel. For example, traveling from the Badlands of Earth to the Land of Fire would require you to pass through each landmark between Point A and Point B. This includes passing through minor villages and oceans. These landmarks set the terrain for each and every fight that takes place within the Ninja World. For example, if a fight were to take place in the Land of Fire at a port city, one can expect to see ships and water as well as a sandy beach like environment. When traveling, you also must link your last post as part of your traveling, to ensure that your path is being traveled correctly. There is a mandatory forty-five (45) minute wait time in between posts. Once this time has passed, the player is no longer within the landmark they left, even if they have not posted in their next intended landmark.

In the Warring States Era, reducing travel time between posts from the mandatory 45 minute to less is possible. This is done through the Artifacts system. In this case, there are two types of artifacts that can make this desired change. The first is through items which enhance your travel time. The second is through items that alter the terrain itself. Items that allow a clan to build roads, remove hindering terrain, etc. In the case of the latter, these changes must be first submitted to the Landmarks Updates thread. These changes would apply only to the landmark that is altered. For example, if Landmark A has a road built in it that reduces travel time by 50%, then it would take you half the time to go from an adjacent landmark to it. And likewise, leaving Landmark A would also only take 50% of the time it would normally.

Turns, Chakra Usage, and Moves:

Every post in the Ninja World accounts for a single 'turn.' This rule, an established rule for over 5 years, has set forth the idea that moving throughout the world accounts for time spent on techniques activated, chakra spent, and health recovered. In the Ninja World today this rule persists. For example, if one activates a mode in the Ninja World outside of battle while in travel and the mode lasts for four turns, then this mode will last forthree turns outside of the turn it was activated in. This means the turn it is activated in represents turn 1 (1/4), and then turn 2 is 2/4, and so on. Each post in the Ninja World happens at a minimum of 45 minute intervals. And so while travelling outside of battle each of these posts represents a single turn in techniques activated, chakra spent over time, etc.

Likewise, this applies to abilities like Sage Mode and gathering Natural Energy (each turn in the NW would count as 1 turn of gathering Natural Energy) and Yin-Yang's Chakra Creation technique, as well as other techniques of this archetype. Every 45 minutes, minimum, you will gather this chakra or accumulate natural energy. Note that while remaining stationary in a landmark and gathering chakra will remain the 45 minute default time, even when using artifacts that reduce travel time. This is because your bio is not actually travelling, and just remaining still in a landmark.
This method of travel can be a bit cumbersome, especially when considering that our WSE has ~250 landmarks. During one of the recent story lines I spent a ton of time making simple travel posts, having to wait 45 minutes between each one. The large majority of these travel posts were simple one sentence posts made out of necessity rather than as an enhancement to the roleplaying experience. From what I've seen, this is the case for pretty much everyone. IMO this method of travel creates more of a hindrance than a positive affect on the RP system. To fix this issue, I'd like to suggest a simple addition to the system, Travel Plans. The rules for Travel Plans would be as follows:

Travel Plans

As an alternative to the post by post travel method traditionally used, roleplayers may instead create Travel Plans that will allow them to travel across any number of Landmarks over a certain period of time. As with the traditional method, in order to travel from Landmark A to Landmark B the person must still travel through a series of adjacent landmarks that connect A to B. However, unlike the traditional method, the person does not need to make individual posts in each of the Landmarks visiting along the way. Instead they will make a post in Landmark A containing a Travel Itinerary that maps out their intended travel path along with the times (in Eastern Standard Time) they will spend in each of the landmarks. While it a person must remain in a landmark for 45 minutes using the traditional method, while traveling via Travel Plans a person must spend a full hour in each of the landmarks.

For example, if a person is currently in (A) Landmark 085 - The Deadmines and wants to travel to (B) Landmark 131 - Tanashi, they would make a post in Landmark 085 with the following format:

Travel Itinerary: #085 -> #087 -> #088 -> #090 -> #119 -> #120 -> #122 -> #123 -> #130 -> #131
  • Departing #085 The Deadmines at 3:45pm (3/2/19)
  • #087: 4:45pm - 5:44pm
  • #088: 5:45pm - 6:44pm
  • #090: 6:45pm - 7:44pm
  • #119: 7:45pm - 8:44pm
  • #120: 8:45pm - 9:44pm
  • #122: 9:45pm - 10:44pm
  • #123: 10:45pm - 11:44pm
  • #130: 11:45pm - 12:44am (3/3/19)
  • Arriving at #131 Tanishi at 12:45am (3/3/19)
As with the traditional method each post (in this case each distinct landmark traveled through) will count as a move, costing the chakra and turn cost for any active technique. It is the responsibility of the traveler to calculate any incurred costs in their next post after this one. A person's travel can be interrupted at any point during their Travel Plan if another person intercepts their biography at one of the given landmarks during the marked time period. Once this happens the traveler must respond and in their response calculate any chakra and turn costs incurred, and the remainder of their travel plan is voided. A traveler can interrupt their own Travel Plan by making a post in one of the given landmarks during the marked period of time, voiding the remainder of the travel plan.
Personally, I'd prefer this way of traveling. I think it would let people be more mobile in the WSE, especially for people who are busy most days. It would also be easy to settle any travel disputes as the times are laid out all in one post. To balance it with normal traveling, for people who prefer that, each stop requires 15 more minutes, and obviously if you set a Travel Plan and go out, you're not going to be able to change course or activate techniques to react to other things going on. It shouldn't require any more work on the part of other people (e.g. the mods), and its pretty straightforward so it should be as easy as copy and pasting the above rules to implement. :p

Pervyy

Immortal
Kin
3,689💸
Kumi
31,971💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

This method of travel can be a bit cumbersome, especially when considering that our WSE has ~250 landmarks. During one of the recent story lines I spent a ton of time making simple travel posts, having to wait 45 minutes between each one. The large majority of these travel posts were simple one sentence posts made out of necessity rather than as an enhancement to the roleplaying experience. From what I've seen, this is the case for pretty much everyone. IMO this method of travel creates more of a hindrance than a positive affect on the RP system. To fix this issue, I'd like to suggest a simple addition to the system, Travel Plans. The rules for Travel Plans would be as follows:

Personally, I'd prefer this way of traveling. I think it would let people be more mobile in the WSE, especially for people who are busy most days. It would also be easy to settle any travel disputes as the times are laid out all in one post. To balance it with normal traveling, for people who prefer that, each stop requires 15 more minutes, and obviously if you set a Travel Plan and go out, you're not going to be able to change course or activate techniques to react to other things going on. It shouldn't require any more work on the part of other people (e.g. the mods), and its pretty straightforward so it should be as easy as copy and pasting the above rules to implement. :p
I like the suggestion, but from another perspective, the only issue might come from keeping track when it comes to say someone trying to attack you etc.

Person A posts their travel plan in... landmark X
Person B then posts their travel plan in landmark Y

Person A was planning to attack B, but B will be long gone, how would that play into it and so on?
I'm all for supporting the busy/lazy person. (Lazy being on my part when it comes to travel)

Typhon

Legendary
Kin
664💸
Kumi
6,684💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I like the suggestion, but from another perspective, the only issue might come from keeping track when it comes to say someone trying to attack you etc.

Person A posts their travel plan in... landmark X
Person B then posts their travel plan in landmark Y

Person A was planning to attack B, but B will be long gone, how would that play into it and so on?
I'm all for supporting the busy/lazy person. (Lazy being on my part when it comes to travel)
In that situation 2 things could happen, Person A arrives at landmark X to find that their target has fled, and then chase after them (which is the more RP way to do it IMO), or they could interrupt their travel plan when they see the other person make theirs, and chase after them the normal way. Since this was would have longer stops at each landmark (1 hour instead of 45 minutes), the person traveling via travel plans wouldn't be able to just run away from them since the person traveling the normal way would catch up.

Really it would be up to the RPer on which form to use. If they're going somewhere to attack another RPer, it might be better to use the normal method since its quicker, can switch directions more easily, and can start activating techniques as they get closer. The Travel Plan method would be better for traveling to static targets, for things like missions or just to meet someone you know isn't moving.

Pervyy

Immortal
Kin
3,689💸
Kumi
31,971💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In that situation 2 things could happen, Person A arrives at landmark X to find that their target has fled, and then chase after them (which is the more RP way to do it IMO), or they could interrupt their travel plan when they see the other person make theirs, and chase after them the normal way. Since this was would have longer stops at each landmark (1 hour instead of 45 minutes), the person traveling via travel plans wouldn't be able to just run away from them since the person traveling the normal way would catch up.

Really it would be up to the RPer on which form to use. If they're going somewhere to attack another RPer, it might be better to use the normal method since its quicker, can switch directions more easily, and can start activating techniques as they get closer. The Travel Plan method would be better for traveling to static targets, for things like missions or just to meet someone you know isn't moving.
Understandable. I'd say write up a summary of the rules and cover all bases etc in a post that could be implemented, address any issues to may forsee and resolutions like the one above. I like the idea, it's why i didn't go to the WW on my uchiha. Being in the land of wind it would of been ALOT of posts to get there

Urda

Supreme
Kin
2,210💸
Kumi
7,699💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What not make an exception to the rule? For those who want to skip the time, they have to provide a lengthy RP post - a paragraph at least of them traveling the country or island.

Drackos

Legendary
Kin
5,496💸
Kumi
97,804💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

This is an interesting suggestion that I'm going to consider moving forward.

Reactions: Geezus and Vayne

Typhon

Legendary
Kin
664💸
Kumi
6,684💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What not make an exception to the rule? For those who want to skip the time, they have to provide a lengthy RP post - a paragraph at least of them traveling the country or island.
The issue with this is that people can't have their travel intercepted and can instantly intercept anyone else in the NW, which may be important for certain events. It also creates awkward posts where you're describing your time in other landmarks from a completely different landmark, which while not the end of the world could be a little confusing.

This is an interesting suggestion that I'm going to consider moving forward.
Let me know if you want more work done on it.