Will Boruto be a good strategist as Shikamaru?

soretynha

Kin
10💸
Kumi
32💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Compared to kid Naruto he clearly is more intelligent (probably Hinata's genes acting). As Kakashi said, Boruto is a genius.

You must be registered for see images

At the episode 37 when they became Genin, he was the one who made up the plan to knock down Kakashi, Anko and Konohamaru. He knew all the positive aspects of everyone on his class and built strategies for each one of them to attack in synchronicity. The whole class trusted him and followed his line. Of course they couldn't knock Kakashi but it turned out to be a very good plan.

What we know so far is that Boruto is not a loser like his dad used to be. He may be spoiled but he's not a slow brain boy.

We all know that back in the old days, the one behind the plans was Shikamaru. So what do you guys think, will he be a good strategist as Shikamaru? Or this role will remain at the Nara clan?

Askeladd

Veteran
Kin
3💸
Kumi
10💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah Boruto is the smartest of Team Konohamaru.

Something I like about Boruto is that even if he is being disadvantaged, he always find a plan to surprise his opponents.

Boruto shown his intelligence in combat when he used his jacket as his last resort to ambush Kagura with his taijutsu skills.

Same against Shojoji ( S class Ninja ), further solidify it that he can strategize it on his own on a greater caliber which is why he even took the liberty to rely on others help like Tentou to the best use of his advantage because he's alot self aware in his perception in situation at hand.

lndra

Supreme
Kin
15💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think it would be far fetched to put him near Shikamaru's level as a strategist, because Shikamaru's IQ level is on a different league in terms of thinking ahead. But I think he has the potential to be quite the good strategist, as seen in two examples where:

Mind you that this version of Boruto was in his first year in the Academy, and while Mitsuki was stalling him, he devised a plan to bring him down. This is the equivalent of a child bringing down a weakened Boss Summon, to put into perspective.

2. When Boruto was up against the S-Rank Bingo Book criminal Shojoji, and despite Shojoji being stronger, Boruto devised a plan ahead of time where under the smoke bomb, he gave Tentou a shuriken to strike him down in case Boruto would fall. Which is eerily similar to Sasuke's plan against Momoshiki, in regards to Boruto's clutch Rasengan.

I definitely need to see some solo fights, though. One of my lesser favorite moments when Boruto outsmarted his opponents, was when he threw his jacket as a distraction,

Hyuga Prodigy

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Boruto hasn't shown any strategist feats and so far he acts more out of emotion than a strategist.

I doubt it.

I doubt what you said because why else would Sarada appoint him as the Leader and follow along with his strategy during the Genin exam??

To further proof this, Sarada strategy ended up backfired during her fight with mirai when Mitsuki pointed out the flaws on both account. Boruto lost his usual spontaneous due to relying on Sarada game plan which limited his battle expertise. This also effected Sarada negatively due to relying on Sharingan too much. Boruto ended up right all along when he told her to "Play it by the Ear"

I don't need to say anymore considering others already pointed out his intelligence feat so I'll let you sink in.

Reactions: Askeladd

Nerosmoke

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah Boruto is the smartest of Team Konohamaru.

Something I like about Boruto is that even if he is being disadvantaged, he always find a plan to surprise his opponents.

Boruto shown his intelligence in combat when he used his jacket as his last resort to ambush Kagura with his taijutsu skills.

Same against Shojoji ( S class Ninja ), further solidify it that he can strategize it on his own on a greater caliber which is why he even took the liberty to rely on others help like Tentou to the best use of his advantage because he's alot self aware in his perception in situation at hand.
He has everything given to him and has to work for nothing.

Reviewing Logic

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In the Genin exam he literally made the plan for every student, even Sarada.

That is what happens when the kid is tutored under Hinata and his childhood friend is Shikadai.

I doubt what you said because why else would Sarada appoint him as the Leader and follow along with his strategy during the Genin exam??

To further proof this, Sarada strategy ended up backfired during her fight with mirai when Mitsuki pointed out the flaws on both account. Boruto lost his usual spontaneous due to relying on Sarada game plan which limited his battle expertise. This also effected Sarada negatively due to relying on Sharingan too much. Boruto ended up right all along when he told her to "Play it by the Ear"

I don't need to say anymore considering others already pointed out his intelligence feat so I'll let you sink in.
lol and again in this scene we see Boruto taking charge and formulating a plan to take down Mirai via the whole in the bridge

quickly taking advantage and controlling the scenario even without Sarada telling him what she is going to do

still I think again this gen will have Shikadai as the go to battle strategist, then maybe Bolt.

But the other kids are indeed intelligent and to be a Genin isn't the same old basic studies that Naruto's gen went through.

Mitsuki is overly intelligent but he isn't a team strategist.

-----------

Every time we see Boruto using Battle smarts in a scenario, even when he fails he fails via a failed plan, like making one of his clones wear those sunglasses against his Aunt, Hanabi in order to make her believe that is his main body.
Of course he couldn't fool her and she told him later to us his palm style that he was home taught to use.

Again like posted above if you annalyze all his bouts he continuously uses strategy to fight, particularly due to his shortcoming of not having multiple clones and massive reserves like his Father or a OP dojutsu like his Mother, Sister, Aunt and Grandfather.

Last edited:

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
All ninja use strategy as part of their battle strategy even Naruto. Does it mean they're up at Shikamaru's level? Hell no. Clone 2.0 has battle instinct which is why he plays it by the ear, that's not really strategy.

In the Genin exam because he had no knowledge of Sarada's abilities it's obvious she made the plan. The Mirai episode confirmed he had no prior knowledge of the Sharingan.

Against Mirai it was Sarada who was analysing and figured out the weakness whole Boruto was fighting her.

Anyway all of this points to him being an on the go fighter coupled with his own admition that he plays it by the ear. And Mitsuki confirms he's spontaneous(not strategic).

The answer is no, no he won't be a strategist of Shikamaru level, shikidai will serve that function as the series progresses.

Last edited:

lndra

Supreme
Kin
15💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Freaking solod!!!!

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

In the fight where exactly did Sarada tell Boruto to not be spontaneous. He was doing that of his own accord as Mitsuki points out.

After Mitsuki told them their flaws it was Sarada who suggested to play it by the ear. And figured our how to beat Mirai.

soretynha

Kin
10💸
Kumi
32💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
All ninja use strategy as part of their battle strategy even Naruto. Does it mean they're up at Shikamaru's level? Hell no. Clone 2.0 has battle instinct which is why he plays it by the ear, that's not really strategy.

In the Genin exam because he had no knowledge of Sarada's abilities it's obvious she made the plan. The Mirai episode confirmed he had no prior knowledge of the Sharingan.

Against Mirai it was Sarada who was analysing and figured out the weakness whole Boruto was fighting her.

Anyway all of this points to him being an on the go fighter coupled with his own admition that he plays it by the ear. And Mitsuki confirms he's spontaneous(not strategic).

The answer is no, no he won't be a strategist of Shikamaru level, shikidai will serve that function as the series progresses.
In the Genin exam he was the one that made up the attack strategy for his whole classmates. He knew their positive attributes just like Shikamaru used to do.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In the Genin exam he was the one that made up the attack strategy for his whole classmates. He knew their positive attributes just like Shikamaru used to do.

Only for those who took on Anko, when they fought Konohmaru he didnt make up any plan. He didnt even know about Sarada's Sharingan or its genjutsu ability which was confirmed in the episode they fight against Mirai. So it's impossible for him to have made that plan.

Anyway he's a spontaneous fighter not somebody who relies on strategy. I've mentioned before that even spontaneous ninja and all ninja use strategy to a degree.

Last edited:

soretynha

Kin
10💸
Kumi
32💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Only for those who took on Anko, when they fought Konohmaru he didnt make up any plan. He didnt even know about Sarada's Sharingan or its genjutsu ability which was confirmed in the episode they fight against Mirai. So it's impossible for him to have made that plan.

Anyway he's a spontaneous fighter not somebody who relies on strategy. I've mentioned before that even spontaneous ninja and all ninja use strategy to a degree.
What matters is that he indeed performed a good strategy against Anko.

As Konohamaru said: "Leave it to the Sharingan and the caftiness you inherited from Lord Seventh". If he didn't know Sarada's abilities at that moment he could have simply asked her, but as you said, in the next episode he didn't know them neither. So it might be Sarada who planned or it might be a plot hole, we will never know.

But when they fought Kakashi, they were all using substitution jutsu as Borutos and he was the one leading them all to his plan. So here he was the one that perfomed the strategy too.

Last edited:

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It doesn't necessarily matter the person they fought, what matters is that he indeed performed a good strategy against Anko.

As Konohamaru said: "Leave it to the Sharingan and the caftiness you inherited from Lord Seventh". If he didn't know Sarada's abilities at that moment he could have simply asked her, but as you said, in the next episode he didn't know them neither. So it might be Sarada who planned or it might be a plot hole, we will never know.

But when they fought Kakashi, they were all using substitution jutsu as Borutos and he was the one leading them all to his plan. So here he was the one that perfomed the strategy too.
Agreed with the part about Anko and that is largely because flashbacks were shown were Boruto was telling them what to do.

There's no plot hole he didn't plan it Konohmaru was D riding for a moment and was assuming. The facts are made clearer in the next episode. It's obvious Sarada planned it the only thing is she wasn't sure if it would work because she makes reference to not being sure that genjutsu would work. There was no certainty of its effectiveness by her but that's with all plans.

As for the last fight against Kakashi I can't say anything about any planning I'm neutral on it. It was designed to confuse Kakashi that's for sure.

This topic is about Boruto being a strategist of Shikamaru's calibre which I don't see happening. We have shikidai to fullfill that role. The manga also confirms that Shikidai had already thought up ways to counter Boruto further paralleling Shikamaru.

Umari Senju

Legendary
Kin
238💸
Kumi
96💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He has everything given to him and has to work for nothing.
This. He is shaping up to be a nice Gary Stu indeed. I get he is a prodigy but that doesn’t mean he has to be perfect at everything. I’m fine with him being smart, but he is:

smart
everyone’s looks to him and likes him immediately
he is a great fighter
A good strategist
Masters Jutsu easily
Has 3 nature’s
Perfect genes
A unique god seal
A unique doujutsu
Son to one of the ninja worlds saviors
Student of the other savior

All this at a Genin Rank. Like leave a little wiggle room for development and training. Hopefully he will have trouble mastering his Jougan/Otsutsuki Seal and he actually has to train with them and not just be naturally good at using them.

Reactions: salamander uchiha

Reviewing Logic

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This. He is shaping up to be a nice Gary Stu indeed. I get he is a prodigy but that doesn’t mean he has to be perfect at everything. I’m fine with him being smart, but he is:

smart
he is a great fighter
A good strategist
Masters Jutsu easily
Has 3 nature’s
Perfect genes
A unique god seal
A unique doujutsu

All this at a Genin Rank. Like leave a little wiggle room for development and training. Hopefully he will have trouble mastering his Jougan/Otsutsuki Seal and he actually has to train with them and not just be naturally good at using them.
the only Gary Stu is someone that literally sees an opponents move and then does it word for word without any innovation or making it their own

even Boruto's strategies proves he isn't a Gary Stu because he uses new ideas and plays it by the ear

A Gary Stu wouldn't need to do so and instead just counter an attack with the opposite without breaking a sweat

Boruto on the other hand tries to outwit his opponents and uses their assumption of him against them

like making their knowledge of him only producing 4 shadow clones as a tool to deceive them with his coat or some help from an ally.

He also uses his surrounding like that NUE scene.

All of this is because he lacks the reserves of his father and the eyes of his sister and mother so he feels inferior and instead used strategy as his strength

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

smart
he is a great fighter
A good strategist
Masters Jutsu easily
Has 3 nature’s
Perfect genes
A unique god seal
A unique doujutsu

He's definitely headed in the direction of being the Gary Stu of this series.