DimLord Urza

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We all have pet peeves, and everyone using the word "Overpowered" out of context is one of them for me. Prepare for a rant - and if you don't like it etc., you should leave or look elsewhere. In this rant, I address nearly every point.

1. Overpowered implies weakness, not strength. Take for example the sentence, "They were overpowered by the fumes". The subject, "They", are experiencing weakness to the fumes. "Overpowered" indicates the subject being overwhelmed by something else. So when people say so and so is overpowered, it doesn't make sense how this is an indication of strength seeing as how this means they are experiencing weakness to something.

2. Overpowered is a verb. Not an adjective. It makes as much sense as saying, he is run. She is jump. etc. Very stupid.

3. Ok, so I'll take the benefit of the doubt and say that "Overpowered" means overly strong or too strong. Even though it doesn't. Well, even to this extent it doesn't make sense. Why? Take the word overpowered apart. Over implies a limit. You can't go "Over" something unless there is a limit relative to whatever you are talking about. Power is self explanatory, strength. So, let's say for example, someone says Madara is overpowered. Even going with the benefit of the doubt, this would mean that Madara's power exceeds his capable limits. This is literally not the case as the author intended Madara to be extremely strong. Thus, his power is not exceeding his capable limits.

4. Yeah, it's slang, it can break the rules of English. But, I've never seen a word sooooo stupidly used out of context. At least slang like "That's broken" actually has something to do with the subject and describe it somewhat. "Overpowered" which indicates weakness, not strength, and functions as a verb, not an adjective. Therefore, it does not describe what people are talking about, it describes the opposite and not even really that since it is not an adjective.

5. Finally, if you are trying to say something or someone is too strong, don't say they are overpowered, say they are too strong. Why? Because that actually describes what you are trying to say instead of the opposite.

BlazeRelease

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't know if this has caught on else where, but where I live being "ignant" (ignorant)
Is a compliment. I don't understand it.
Point is, people will pointlessly bandwagon to fit in, I agree it's stupid. People are stupid.

Reactions: DimLord Urza

ItachiDaSoloKing

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wall Of Text GG
Allow me to explain.

OP is an adjective that implies that a noun has an excess amount of Power.

Similar to the context used in the word Overflow.

OP is Synonymous with Itachi

OP is Antonymous for Sakura

Thread Solo'd.

BlazeRelease

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wall Of Text GG
Allow me to explain.

OP is an adjective that implies that a noun has an excess amount of Power.

Similar to the context used in the word Overflow.

OP is Synonymous with Itachi

OP is Antonymous for Sakura

Thread Solo'd.
Wrong. I see what you mean, but the word your looking for is "overpowering".
Overpowered is a past tense that implies being brought to submission/defeated.
Overpowering means that something is defeating something else.

Wabbit

Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The Grammar Nazi inside you has finally came out

Thank you for enlightening us

Heil Grammar Nazis

You must be registered for see images

ItachiDaSoloKing

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wrong. I see what you mean, but the word your looking for is "overpowering".
Overpowered is a past tense that implies being brought to submission/defeated.
Overpowering means that something is defeating something else.
This is the new era. we no longer speak Proper English we speak Slanglish

Proper English is so 1990's bro

But you are correct. In Proper English.

DimLord Urza

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Who cares man?
Relax and stop wasting your time with shit like that.
It's not a waste of time to address a problem that I view as an issue. That is, the absolute destruction of the English language. It's fine that you don't care, but it is not your place to say whether others are wasting their time or not. Entirely subjective.

Funky Tiger

Veteran
Kin
41💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
What you guys are uttering is an abomination of the linguistic beauty of the English language, lads. What happened to the verbose that has enchanted the greatest of minds, the verbose that was to enchant all posterity? This new 'text speak' anomaly is making me grind the very earth in utter and inexplicable anger.

ministerC4

Banned
Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's not a waste of time to address a problem that I view as an issue. That is, the absolute destruction of the English language. It's fine that you don't care, but it is not your place to say whether others are wasting their time or not. Entirely subjective.
Don't waste my time trying to correct my grammar .

DimLord Urza

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What you guys are uttering is an abomination of the linguistic beauty of the English language, lads. What happened to the verbose that has enchanted the greatest of minds, the verbose that was to enchant all posterity? This new 'text speak' anomaly is making me grind the very earth in utter and inexplicable anger.

Thank you very much.

But seriously, I could care less about maintaining elegance in language but more just keeping to a basic level of communication rather than reverting to speaking words that mean the opposite of which we mean to communicate.