[Discussion] Why ODA?

ichirou

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sanji is one of my favorite characters in One piece but something has been bothering me about him since the start of his "fire leg" techniques and I need to point this out.Why does Sanji produce flames when people are supposed to acquire a Devil Fruit before having supernatural powers? He even gets himself on fire and not get burnt from it like he has a devil fruit. This makes other flame type devil fruits not worth it except mera-mera. I mean if a normal person can produce flames just by rubbing something so fast and maintaining it for a long duration why risk your swimming ability for a flame type devil fruit? This is the only thing that bothers me so much in the OPverse, I know this manga is full of batshit crazy ideas but common Oda, why are you not going with the reality you created in your manga universe?

Making his feet smoke and glow like cinder at the edge should have been a better way to show Sanji's feet producing heat from rubbing his feet very fast. Producing flames is an exaggeration for me and portrays Sanji having a fire type fruit. I hope Oda goes into details with this and provides a solution like "Sanji's shoes ate a flame type devil fruit that is why it produces flames not just heat"

Last edited:

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yup. Those Enies Lobby power ups, Asura and DJ are asspulls of another level until further explanation. Lets just give elements and abilities to non DF eaters just because.

Damn if it were this easy why aren't there non fruit users running around shitting magma and sand out their asses like Sanji can with fire. And these people were struggling to get the mera mera no mi, while Sanji is laughing at the plebs, the no DF eating human torch.

RJ22BIG

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well to be fair cp9 had super human techniques being able to cut air and being able to both fly and flutter like paper. Zoro always had his affiliated power ups like bull demon, gorilla and such. The fire from sanji's leg and him being able burst into flames can be his Haki. Haki is described as spirit sanji even say while the DJ is hot his spirt burns hotter. The introduction of Haki was introduced not to long ago in the overall length of one piece and hasn't been fully explained yet so it could be a faction of Haki.

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I always find it funny when ppl try to apply real world reasoning to fantasy :) Oda explained it with friction in OP verse that's apparently how it works, there aren't many characters who could do that, also, Luffy has Red Hawk

and don't compare ti to Mera Mera, it's clearly not close to being the same

as for his clothes, well fire in manga does not burn hair or clothes, its just a convenience, just imagine how many characters would have to be naked and without any hair :/

if it bothers you than fine, but why should it? it was explained, it doesn't make any sense in real world context but apparently in OPverse it's possible, all stronger characters have a thing, this is Sanji's thing, other ppl focus on their things, hence they don't have fire on their shoes :)

you could just as easily question the existence of Haki and DFs, they are powers that exist in the OPverse, none of them make particular sense and we come againt to it being a fantasy, same thing with magic in any work of fiction, Oda says they exist, so they do

if it keeps bothering you than there is nothing anyone can do about it (I don't mean this in a negativee way, its perfectly fine if something bothers you, nothing is perfect, but if you set the ''reslism'' bar lower in fantasy you enjoy it more ... at least in my experience, let the authors create their own worlds, you either like their work or don't ... but yea the authors are bound by their rules, but the thing with that is that anything is possible in fantasy and nothing is ruled out until the author specifically says it doest exist)

editing comments on phone is a pain

Last edited:

loj

from the east blue
Immortal
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
One Piece is not a real world.You can't apply real things to One Piece world.What Sanji is doing could be something what minks are doing with electricity.

Is that a part of his haki or something else? Guess we'll find out.

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lol people using the "real world excuse" it has nothing to do with the real world. Once an author sets rules and limitations in his verse, it is expected of him to follow his own world's logic. There would be no reason to have DFs if characters can just run around using elements to their liking. Sanji can ignite his whole body in flames any time he wishes without any motion.

If it isn't haki or a DF, then quite frankly it is BS. Heck even if it is haki related it better be something real good, not some half assed explanation.

Also Zoro might as well have Robin's fruit cause apparently if you try hard enough you can grow limbs. Hoping this has to do with aura (possibly a form of Haki) or him moving so fast it gives off an illusion.

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lol people using the "real world excuse" it has nothing to do with the real world. Once an author sets rules and limitations in his verse, it is expected of him to follow his own world's logic. There would be no reason to have DFs if characters can just run around using elements to their liking. Sanji can ignite his whole body in flames any time he wishes without any motion.

If it isn't haki or a DF, then quite frankly it is BS. Heck even if it is haki related it better be something real good, not some half assed explanation.

Also Zoro might as well have Robin's fruit cause apparently if you try hard enough you can grow limbs. Hoping this has to do with aura (possibly a form of Haki) or him moving so fast it gives off an illusion.
explanation behind it isn't a matter of it ''making sense'' it's a matter of depth (in most cases; you don't need an explanation behind magic for it to make sense in a fantasy setting, it's just a matter of depth to the universe, unless it was established before that magic is 100% non-existent), which also affects the overall quality of the story, it depends how open minded u are when it comes to the verse, ofc it's always better to have a GOOD explanation but in a major work you won't get the explanation of every single thing, it's one thing that often makes shorter series ''better'', you can go more in depth, or at least it's easier to go more in depth

that being said, the above doesn't mean that if something lacks explanation (even though the world allows for it) that it doesn't negatively affect the ''quality'' of the story, I just think people today just ''call bullshit'' all the fing time, it's waaaaaay too overused, just like ''epic'' or ''literally'' (though literally is another can of worms entirelly)

and clearly the minks electricity or sanjis fire are nowhere near the Mera Mera or Goro Goro fruit, so clearly it's far from being as powerful as DFs

I think OP has a few major issues, one example is pre TS Haki and post TS Haki (for me the biggest issue in OP), but I honestly don't care because I know that NO work spanning 2 decades that is continuously being PUBLISHED (weekly, ie NO corrections) can be written without issues or plotholes or inconsistencies or whatever, if you read a work like that you have to both expect and be prepared for those

there is no author alive that could 100% pre-plan a story that he will be writing for 2 decades almost non-stop with very little rest. even someone like Tolkien that worked his entire life on his universe had the option to simply go back and correct yet unpublished material (and there are STILL inconsistencies)

Last edited:

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,661💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
I always figured them to be the result of their Haki, they just didn't know it. Also, it's not like Sanji has intangibility and control over flames like a Mera Mera user this, and I bet his flames are weaker than theirs too. It's not really that big of an issue.

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
explanation behind it isn't a matter of it ''making sense'' it's a matter of depth (in most cases; you don't need an explanation behind magic for it to make sense in a fantasy setting, it's just a matter of depth to the universe), which also affects the overall quality of the story, it depends how open minded u are when it comes to the verse, ofc it's always better to have a GOOD explanation but in a major work you won't get the explanation of every single thing, it's one thing that often makes shorter series ''better'', you can go more in depth, or at least it's easier to go more in depth

that being said, the above doesn't mean that if something lacks explanation (even though the world allows for it) that it doesn't negatively affect the ''quality'' of the story, I just think people today just ''call bullshit'' all the fing time, it's waaaaaay too overused, just like ''epic'' or ''literally'' (though literally is another can of worms entirelly)

and clearly the minks electricity or sanjis fire are nowhere near the Mera Mera or Goro Goro fruit, so clearly it's far from being as powerful as DFs

I think OP has a few major issues, one example is pre TS Haki and post TS Haki (for me the biggest issue in OP), but I honestly don't care because I know that NO work spanning 2 decades that is continuously being PUBLISHED (weekly, ie NO corrections) can be written without issues or plotholes or inconsistencies or whatever, if you read a work like that you have to both expect and be prepared for those

there is no author alive that could 100% pre-plan a story that he will be writing for 2 decades almost non-stop with very little rest. even someone like Tolkien that worked his entire life on his universe had the option to simply go back and correct yet unpublished material (and there are STILL inconsistencies)
That isn't of my concern to worry about the author and his show. No body is asking him to be perfect.

This is a main character's main combat style, there better be a proper explanation for it. This isn't just some minor hiccup which you can skip over, we're talking about Sanji and his go to arsenal.

You must be registered for see images
When one of your main characters can summon an element out of thin air for no good reason, that is lousy writing.

Why doesn't any one else just go ahead and do the same then? I want to see some Vice Admirals just engulfed in flames, or ice whatever element they choose to summon out of their ass.

This would be the equivalent of Killua from HxH using electricity with zero explanation behind it.

Reactions: Olorin

Tomato God

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That isn't of my concern to worry about the author and his show. No body is asking him to be perfect.

This is a main character's main combat style, there better be a proper explanation for it. This isn't just some minor hiccup which you can skip over, we're talking about Sanji and his go to arsenal.

When one of your main characters can summon an element out of thin air for no good reason, that is lousy writing.

Why doesn't any one else just go ahead and do the same then? I want to see some Vice Admirals just engulfed in flames, or ice whatever element they choose to summon out of their ass.

This would be the equivalent of Killua from HxH using electricity with zero explanation behind it.
It's a simple evolution of bias. If you take the original dj it was motion and friction that increased power and if you look at how durable sanji is its allowable. And if that's allowable he she should be able to do it without spinning. And if he can make fire why can't he make it bigger and hotter. And if he can make it bigger and hotter why not have it cover his whole body.

It's a slow process to avoid explanation like 400 chapters worth of evolution

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's a simple evolution of bias. If you take the original dj it was motion and friction that increased power and if you look at how durable sanji is its allowable. And if that's allowable he she should be able to do it without spinning. And if he can make fire why can't he make it bigger and hotter. And if he can make it bigger and hotter why not have it cover his whole body.

It's a slow process to avoid explanation like 400 chapters worth of evolution
Not sure if this was supposed to be comedic, but there was this pre timeskip.

Regardless even doing the original thing, there needs to be some other factor like haki involved.

RJ22BIG

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't get what's the big deal swords men in one piece can send flying slashes vista can make flowers bloom with his swordsman ship. Minks can use electro and characters can add their Haki to items to strength them but sanji being able to ignite into flames is an ass pull. Smh everything is acceptable except sanji being able to burst into flames there is no real world logic to one piece it's has six moons and people living on the moon. This is Oda's creation if you don't like it don't read it why are people trying to dissect his work when it is something he's created from what he wants either enjoy the master piece that is one piece or just stop reading it smh.

Bogard

Supreme
Kin
8💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
For Sanji, Oda used the friction reasoning to allow Sanji's leg to emit fire. It's a little bit like how the floor was caught on fire when Luffy was running at max g2 speed on it in punk hazard. Of course it's not really a good real life logic, but it didn't bother me much past that point pretimeskip because it could at least make quite some sense(i also thought the Thriller Bark scenes were gag scenes so didn't put too much attention into it). Where i disliked it however is when he changed the friction development on Sanji's leg to basically transform him into some kind of human torch capable to emit fire from his entire body and make it burn even more fierce than ever essentially not differenciating him to a devil fruit user with elemental of fire

As for Zoro's Asura it's bullshit plain and simple at least until further notice, no explanation needed and the funny thing is that 400 chapters after its reveal or so, we still know shit about it

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
How is it not even close? Magellan was a poison user who can cover his body in liquid poison, in the same way Sanji is a fire type paramecia who can cover his body in flames.
as far as we know (actually we arw certain that) the fire element fruit is the mera mera and sanjis puny flames are nothing compared to the mera mera

and sanji basically just kicks harder and it looks cool, Magellan has a whole arsenal of abilities

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
as far as we know the fire element fruit is the mera mera and sanjis puny flames are nothing compared to the mera mera
That's just the mera mera no mi. As far as devil fruits go, he isn't any different than Magellan or any other paramecia.

Also I wouldn't call this puny.

Olorin

Legendary
Kin
268💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That's just the mera mera no mi. As far as devil fruits go, he isn't any different than Magellan or any other paramecia.

Also I wouldn't call this puny.
same could be said about haki or sword slashes or ...

and those fires are nothing to the mera mera ... the fire fruit

idk why im even posting, talking opinions is pointless

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
same could be said about haki or sword slashes or ...

and those fires are nothing to the mera mera ... the fire fruit

idk why im even posting, talking opinions is pointless
That's what you aren't getting. These aren't opinions.

The same can't be said about haki and sword slashes because those are already established concepts in this verse.

For example you can have any sort of DF doesn't matter how illogical it is, in the world of One Piece it is logical because it is explained by the rules of the verse (DF). You have a DF which brings up an imaginary room in which you are a God in. And that is perfectly logical.

But no haki, no weapon, no DF, and a character is emitting an element around his body because he feels like it? I think not.

Also how is that fire nothing compared to the mera mera fruit? Look how big wadatsumi is compared to the Sunny, and that is before he expanded, so he is considerably smaller here than when Sanji ignited his entire body in one kick.

That is definitely comparable to mera mera no mi.

Last edited:

RJ22BIG

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That's what you aren't getting. These aren't opinions.

The same can't be said about haki and sword slashes because those are already established concepts in this verse.

For example you can have any sort of DF doesn't matter how illogical it is, in the world of One Piece it is logical because it is explained by the rules of the verse (DF). You have a DF which brings up an imaginary room in which you are a God in. And that is perfectly logical.

But no haki, no weapon, no DF, and a character is emitting an element around his body because he feels like it? I think not.

Also how is that fire nothing compared to the mera mera fruit? Look how big wadatsumi is compared to the Sunny, and that is before he expanded, so he is considerably smaller here than when Sanji ignited his entire body in one kick.

That is definitely comparable to mera mera no mi.
The mink tribe can use electricity and fish men can make water from nothing. Jimbe has used the water bullet technique and the water drill technique that went through Watasuma's giant body. So characters in one piece have been shown to use elements from their bodies. The mink tribe has been around for hundreds of years and so have the fish men in the one piece world so Thames elemental attacks have been around before even sanji's Fire attacks.